This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How did YOU tweak Dark Souls 2?

#1MonkeymagePosted 4/25/2014 1:25:28 PM
SweetFX? Follow one of Durante's guides?

That's what I did, I made the custom Nvidia Inspector profile that lets you use HBAO+, 4x MSAA, and 8x SGSSAA for transparencies. I feel like it's a pretty good balance, although I do get slowdown when passing through a fog gate.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#2QuestofChosenPosted 4/25/2014 1:26:35 PM
I just downsampled to 2880x1620. That is good enough for me. I also get slowdown when entering fog gates.
---
Currently Playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dark Souls 2 and Resident Evil Remake.
#3Greendragon854Posted 4/25/2014 1:39:08 PM
I'm just waiting for someone genius enough to reinstate those original lighting effects
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#4Monkeymage(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2014 2:08:14 PM
Greendragon854 posted...
I'm just waiting for someone genius enough to reinstate those original lighting effects

It's weird, too. Someone theorized that they removed it because having to have a torch or other light source at all times made the game too difficult because there are tons of ambushes everywhere.

That's weird though, because torches for you to light are EVERYWHERE. It makes more sense for you to be able to light up the world if there's a true dynamic lighting system.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#5dekouPosted 4/25/2014 2:40:32 PM
The world also looks much better with torch-based lighting. Light up the sconces at Things Betwixt and look around. It's becomes a pretty area instead of the dull grey corridor it is with sconces not lit.

I downsampled from 3200x1800, enabled HBAO+ and better AF from NVidia Inspector and installed Durante's SweetFX. Looks much better than vanilla DS2. I don't even need AA on my 23' monitor and didn't notice any slowdowns.
---
Intel Pentium II OC @ 450 MHz | 128 Mb RAM | Falcon Northwest Special Edition Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 SE | 2x 4 Gb Seagate HDD
#6revolverPosted 4/25/2014 4:30:34 PM
I downsampled through Durantes new mod, which makes the game look incredible with it's ao and post processing. No sweetfx yet as I'm pretty happy with how it looks.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#7SolidManifestPosted 4/25/2014 4:32:35 PM
revolver posted...
I downsampled through Durantes new mod, which makes the game look incredible with it's ao and post processing. No sweetfx yet as I'm pretty happy with how it looks.

What res did you downsample from? Only asking cause we have similar GPU/CPU combo

And I seriously need to get home :(
---
Buddha says He who is in Continuous Hell never dies. Longevity is a big hardship in Continuous Hell
#8Majoras_pantsPosted 4/25/2014 4:33:21 PM
I just turned it on and played. I rarely mess with graphic settings, besides to set the resolution.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#9Hi CPosted 4/25/2014 4:45:14 PM(edited)
Monkeymage posted...
Greendragon854 posted...

It's weird, too. Someone theorized that they removed it because having to have a torch or other light source at all times made the game too difficult because there are tons of ambushes everywhere.

That's weird though, because torches for you to light are EVERYWHERE. It makes more sense for you to be able to light up the world if there's a true dynamic lighting system.

I read somewhere a while before the mob speculation of whether the lighting would be in or out started that they were purposefully taking it out for 2 reasons.

1. The 9 year old console hardware just couldn't consistently handle it.

2. The developer thought it was taking the game more into a survival horror instead of "action rpg". Everything was too dark.
#10revolverPosted 4/25/2014 4:52:19 PM
SolidManifest posted...

What res did you downsample from? Only asking cause we have similar GPU/CPU combo

And I seriously need to get home :(

3840x2160 down to my res of 1440p. I have sparse grid supersampling enabled through nvidia inspector but I couldn't do 4x msaa as recommended in durantes guide as it ran at 20fps. Looks fantastic though, and I'm excited to see what other features durantes can enable in GeDoSaTo.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II