This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Souls is popular?

#11GTL581Posted 4/26/2014 2:08:45 PM
Odd, i never had that problem when i first encountered him. My first instinct was "oh ****... RUN!" so maybe that's why i got through it with ease. At least get through the first area of the game before giving it crap for its difficulty.

It's really not that hard of a game, it just takes more patience than most gamers these days want to put out. Give it some more time, it is one of the most rewarding games to come out in the last few years, and on top of that the game offers fantastically cryptic in-game mythos that keeps you wanting to know more. It's a really fun experience if you can get into it
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#12r7gerrabbitPosted 4/26/2014 2:10:24 PM
Because it doesn't hold your hand. And it requires you to know the game mechanics.
Too many video games these days are all about action, linear paths, easy accessibility "for everyone" and craptastic stories.

If you die then 9/10 times it's your fault because you did something wrong. Learn from it and improve.

Also you're in the tutorial... Try exploring the boss room. Just because he's there doesn't mean you have to kill him.
---
Sig.
#13SpazH3dPosted 4/26/2014 2:13:04 PM
Is this thread a jest? You could at least try to find a guide or something.
---
- My vision is augmented
#14r7gerrabbitPosted 4/26/2014 2:15:38 PM
Also, in Firelink Shrine if a mob is 1 shotting you then take that as a hint that you're underleveled and that is not the path you should be taking right now.

The game assumes the player has a modicum of intelligence and can infer things based on the world without being blatantly told where/what to do.
---
Sig.
#15TropicMoon10Posted 4/26/2014 2:17:11 PM
lol
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#16cynicwithin2000Posted 4/26/2014 2:43:06 PM
the series gameplay and environments have always been fine in my book. My biggest problem with the game is that it is so boring. The game is set up as a trial and error type gameplay (nothing wrong with that), but even when you are successful and get past a part that had you stuck for a bit, there is zero reward. It's one of the only series I've ever played where you feel absolutely zero sense of accomplishment for beating a difficult boss or area. Some people are just more masochistic than others I guess.
---
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS PB278Q x3 |
#17SlaynPosted 4/26/2014 2:58:15 PM
I mean if someone doesn't like the game, it is fine by me. Your complaint is that the 10 minute control tutorial is too easy and the boss that you are supposed to not fight is too hard.

OK...
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#18MonkeymagePosted 4/26/2014 3:51:41 PM
On my first playthrough, I picked the Black Firebombs as my gift, and I killed the Asylum Demon immediately.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#19MonkeymagePosted 4/26/2014 3:52:41 PM
cynicwithin2000 posted...
the series gameplay and environments have always been fine in my book. My biggest problem with the game is that it is so boring. The game is set up as a trial and error type gameplay (nothing wrong with that), but even when you are successful and get past a part that had you stuck for a bit, there is zero reward. It's one of the only series I've ever played where you feel absolutely zero sense of accomplishment for beating a difficult boss or area. Some people are just more masochistic than others I guess.

What? When I beat Ornstein & Smough my heart was beating like crazy. Definitely one of the greatest fights in all of vidya.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#20protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 4:09:45 PM
To those making fun of me: You should be basking in my awesomeness because I stood and fought, learned the boss routine and beat the crap out of him. Yes I died but at least I kept trying.

To those telling me to explore: Thank you!! I knew I was missing something. I heard I was going to die a lot but that was ridiculous! I was thinking "how the hell am I supposed to do this!?
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?