This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Souls is popular?

#21shamfuruPosted 4/26/2014 4:12:48 PM
Anyone that dare question dark souls must be a demon themselves!

Prepare for an army of LARPers to descend upon your house.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#22datopgamerPosted 4/26/2014 4:19:42 PM
I just started playing and I attempted fighting him as well. Was doing pretty good but saw my damage wasn't good. I also got hit like three times so decided to take the tips advice and run away.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
#23killkountPosted 4/26/2014 4:21:48 PM
LOOOL

lrn2vidyagame bro.
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#24cody4783Posted 4/26/2014 5:07:45 PM
cynicwithin2000 posted...
[...]My biggest problem with the game is that it is so boring. The game is set up as a trial and error type gameplay (nothing wrong with that), but even when you are successful and get past a part that had you stuck for a bit, there is zero reward. It's one of the only series I've ever played where you feel absolutely zero sense of accomplishment for beating a difficult boss or area. [...]

There's a sense of accomplishment for beating the boss, but it literally lasts about as long as it takes "VICTORY ACHIEVED" to fade off the screen. Long enough for you to scream "F*** YOU! I F***ING WIN!", and then to go spend your souls.......

.....Or die on the way back to the bonfire, then get bunted off a ledge on the way back to recover the 20,000+ soul reward. That's when you know it's right back into the ol' grind and on to the next boss that you'll die 15-20 times to before learning it's attack patterns. And then another 20 as you get smacked silly when you thought you were about to kill him and got OHKO.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#25il_capitanoPosted 4/26/2014 5:10:40 PM
Wait, this thread was actually serious?

How dumb can people get lol
---
Farewell MGO, the first love will never be forgotten. 06/12/12
#26AnimorganimatePosted 4/26/2014 5:21:37 PM
protools1983 posted...
To those making fun of me: You should be basking in my awesomeness because I stood and fought, learned the boss routine and beat the crap out of him. Yes I died but at least I kept trying.

To those telling me to explore: Thank you!! I knew I was missing something. I heard I was going to die a lot but that was ridiculous! I was thinking "how the hell am I supposed to do this!?

Actually, if you do stand up to the first boss, and fight, and learn his moves, you can beat him bare handed. It takes a long time, but it's completely doable, and fun.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#27capgamerPosted 4/26/2014 5:24:56 PM
Reasons why I like the Souls series:

- Combat is simple, fun, and yet still challenging
- Lots of replayability due to different weapon types and character builds
- Minimalistic in tutorials and general "hand-holding" that can put a bad taste in my mouth in many modern games
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#28daemon_danPosted 4/26/2014 5:30:09 PM
protools1983 posted...
To those making fun of me: You should be basking in my awesomeness because I stood and fought, learned the boss routine and beat the crap out of him. Yes I died but at least I kept trying.

To those telling me to explore: Thank you!! I knew I was missing something. I heard I was going to die a lot but that was ridiculous! I was thinking "how the hell am I supposed to do this!?

That is one of the beautiful things about DkS. If you feel accomplished for killing him differently than intended, that is a wonderful feeling. And you will die. A lot. And if the game wants to make you keep trying in the face of adversity, THAT is what makes it a good game.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#29johnny_payPosted 4/26/2014 5:34:19 PM
its because its hardcore and you (and i) are not hardcore
#30DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/26/2014 5:36:00 PM
Demon's Souls was an RPG from Japan on PS3 when there was basically nothing to play. On top of that, it was relatively difficult during a time when much of the JRPG community was sick of how easy most modern JRPGs were,
Being an RPG from Japan, all of the sony fanboys jumped on it as the greatest JRPG ever, better even than TEH LEGENDERY FF7!!!11, despite not being a JRPG at all, being from a generally mediocre developer that capitalized on unpopular consoles by filling niches.
Just like pretty much any early exclusive PS3 game that wasn't complete garbage and wasn't a cheap knockoff of some mainstream game that was better on another platform, it was touted as the greatest thing to ever happen. Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

I can guarantee you that, had Demon's Souls been multiplat, it would be a niche series with a very small following, and the genre would still largely be ignored.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross