This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Souls is popular?

#31daemon_danPosted 4/26/2014 5:48:59 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Demon's Souls was an RPG from Japan on PS3 when there was basically nothing to play. On top of that, it was relatively difficult during a time when much of the JRPG community was sick of how easy most modern JRPGs were,
Being an RPG from Japan, all of the sony fanboys jumped on it as the greatest JRPG ever, better even than TEH LEGENDERY FF7!!!11, despite not being a JRPG at all, being from a generally mediocre developer that capitalized on unpopular consoles by filling niches.
Just like pretty much any early exclusive PS3 game that wasn't complete garbage and wasn't a cheap knockoff of some mainstream game that was better on another platform, it was touted as the greatest thing to ever happen. Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

I can guarantee you that, had Demon's Souls been multiplat, it would be a niche series with a very small following, and the genre would still largely be ignored.

Your opinion is awesome and all, but it's far from factual.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#32DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/26/2014 5:54:11 PM
daemon_dan posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Demon's Souls was an RPG from Japan on PS3 when there was basically nothing to play. On top of that, it was relatively difficult during a time when much of the JRPG community was sick of how easy most modern JRPGs were,
Being an RPG from Japan, all of the sony fanboys jumped on it as the greatest JRPG ever, better even than TEH LEGENDERY FF7!!!11, despite not being a JRPG at all, being from a generally mediocre developer that capitalized on unpopular consoles by filling niches.
Just like pretty much any early exclusive PS3 game that wasn't complete garbage and wasn't a cheap knockoff of some mainstream game that was better on another platform, it was touted as the greatest thing to ever happen. Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

I can guarantee you that, had Demon's Souls been multiplat, it would be a niche series with a very small following, and the genre would still largely be ignored.

Your opinion is awesome and all, but it's far from factual.

That's not an opinion. It's a factual recount of historic events.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#33akuma634Posted 4/26/2014 6:12:46 PM
I think the games are boring, but there is a very rabid fan base. The appeal is that these are very challenging games, "no hand holding," you have one way to do things and every other way is the wrong way which is strictly punished, it's about having a ton of patience, being super careful, and a strong defense above all.

For me, I'd rather play some classic NES games if I want a no holds barred challenge. I have more fun with stuff like Blaster Master, Ninja Gaiden, Ghosts N Goblins, and those kinds of games. With the Souls games, the appeal is that it's a lot harder than the average games that come out. The very idea of having a normal or easy mode sends fans into fits of rage, how dare it even attempt to offer an option. There is only one way to play it and that's how they like it.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#34capgamerPosted 4/26/2014 6:16:50 PM
^That's not the only appeal to them though. They have a really nice combat system... that's probably the main thing I like about them. Also, some pretty unique multiplayer that games like Watch Dogs are now copying.

I mean, King's Field by the same developer basically has the same gameplay as the Souls games but didn't take off, primarily because the combat was so garbage in that series.

Demon's Souls was basically an extension of King's Field but in 3rd person perspective and they actually got the combat right.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#35capgamerPosted 4/26/2014 6:16:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#36akuma634Posted 4/26/2014 6:17:04 PM
Joni_Cunningham posted...
because it doesn't hold your hand

Everyone says this, but what the hell does that entail? It's like you're walking up some long stairs, but you can't fall because it has rails on the sides, is that hand holding? Would you rather the game lets you fall off and die? People love to dump on COD, but if you play that online it's like this "you spawn in a hostile area full of people trying to kill you, there is no tutorial and you will die a lot until you learn the game mechanics from trial and error." On paper, isn't that the appeal of Dark Souls? I'm not saying COD is a game about extreme patients and wit, but gamer elitism can be downright silly at times. We hate this for being this! But we LOVE this because it's like this! Just play what you want and get off the backs of anyone who doesn't love it as much as you.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#37CELTEKKPosted 4/26/2014 6:20:19 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I see what you did there.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#38capgamerPosted 4/26/2014 6:22:50 PM(edited)
^When people say "hand-holding" they are referring to games that coddle you to annoying levels. If you need an example, play any modern Nintendo game. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is a perfect example. Every 5 minutes in that game you run across a new tutorial. They don't trust you to figure out ANYTHING yourself. Dark Souls has a tutorial, but it's not in your face, and it leaves a lot for you to figure out yourself. That's part of the fun: figuring out how to play the game and surviving in a harsh world.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#39MonkeymagePosted 4/26/2014 6:26:20 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Oh man, I didn't know that Sony consoles tended to be unpopular. From may have filled niches, but they were always on the most popular consoles (up to the PS3, obviously).

Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

But Dark Souls enjoyed just as big a fanbase on the 360 as it did on the PS3. Why are you pigeon-holing the "Souls" experience as a Sony phenomenon?

Uhhhh, no. What is that based on? Market research?

I understand that you think you have to be right all the time, but you're wrong.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#40DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/26/2014 6:29:38 PM
Monkeymage posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Oh man, I didn't know that Sony consoles tended to be unpopular. From may have filled niches, but they were always on the most popular consoles (up to the PS3, obviously).

Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

But Dark Souls enjoyed just as big a fanbase on the 360 as it did on the PS3. Why are you pigeon-holing the "Souls" experience as a Sony phenomenon?

Uhhhh, no. What is that based on? Market research?

I understand that you think you have to be right all the time, but you're wrong.

When was GameCube a "most popular console"?
Didn't they push stuff on n64 as well?
They're a niche developer that takes advantage of holes in a (usually unpopular) console's library to push appeal of their usually low-value products.

Dark Souls wouldn't have had anywhere near as much success if it hadn't come into a starved market and got the fanboys riled up. Dark Souls enjoyed just as much success on 360 because Demon's Souls entered into a starved market and got people riled up and noisy about it to justify their $599 game console.

Common sense.

No u.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross