This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Souls is popular?

#41PanopictonguyPosted 4/26/2014 6:50:00 PM
It reminds people of the NES/SNES era even games where the limitations of the hardware made games more difficult. Extremely vague due to data limitations. Horrible controls, no physics, small linear areas...etc.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#42Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/27/2014 12:14:34 AM(edited)
It's a tutorial teaching you an important skill: not taking on stuff that seems way out of your league. See also: going down instead of up from the first area.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#43ClouddxPosted 4/27/2014 12:26:18 AM
You know, if you face an enemy and you couldn't defeat it common sense says try to run away right?

It's a deep rich world that has TONS of lore and an amazing story if you actually care to involve yourself in it. The game allows you to create your own experience without being guided in a certain direction. It allows you to make mistakes and penalizes you for those mistakes; this is extremely rare in games today. Most games hold your hand with areas blocked off until you complete the previous area just so you can't wander over to the higher level area before your supposed to and get killed.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#44Cool_Dude667Posted 4/27/2014 12:36:04 AM
Panopictonguy posted...
It reminds people of the NES/SNES era even games where the limitations of the hardware made games more difficult. Extremely vague due to data limitations. Horrible controls, no physics, small linear areas...etc.

too true
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#45ClouddxPosted 4/27/2014 12:42:10 AM(edited)
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Panopictonguy posted...

too true

Ohh noes they didn't tell me exactly where to go! The game is so vague, it should just guide you and tell you exactly where to go to progress to the next stage. I hate dying because enemies are a higher level than me and they actually allow me to go to this place.... so dumb they should use scaled enemies like Skyrim!!! *rolls eyes*
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#46LordOfLegaciesPosted 4/27/2014 12:47:11 AM
protools1983 posted...
To those making fun of me: You should be basking in my awesomeness because I stood and fought, learned the boss routine and beat the crap out of him. Yes I died but at least I kept trying.

They're not making fun of you for dying. Your topic message is trashing an almost universally loved game for petty reasons, then you pretty much called out everyone on the board who likes this game (so almost everyone on the board) with questions like "who seriously thinks this is a good game" and "who actually has fun with this", implying there must be something wrong with people who like this game.
Both of those things combined with the fact that a video game got you upset enough to to make a topic like this in the first place are why they're making fun of you.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#47kobalobasileusPosted 4/27/2014 1:20:20 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
protools1983 posted...
To those making fun of me: You should be basking in my awesomeness because I stood and fought, learned the boss routine and beat the crap out of him. Yes I died but at least I kept trying.

They're not making fun of you for dying. Your topic message is trashing an almost universally loved game for petty reasons, then you pretty much called out everyone on the board who likes this game (so almost everyone on the board) with questions like "who seriously thinks this is a good game" and "who actually has fun with this", implying there must be something wrong with people who like this game.
Both of those things combined with the fact that a video game got you upset enough to to make a topic like this in the first place are why they're making fun of you.

It is not "almost universally loved." It has a tiny fanbase who just happen to NEVER SHUT THE **** UP!
#48Celll212Posted 4/27/2014 1:38:20 AM
Be forewarned, once you beat this game... almost all games afterwards will feel like crap. This game does not hold your hand in any, way, shape, or form. You will die A lot. You will want to quit, but something will drive you to keep playing. If you finish this game you will come to know defeat, and then something about being pissed on while you are on the ground crying.

This game was not made for "casuals" it was made for people who want a challenge and want to test themselves. This game does not take prisoners, no matter your K/D:R or what have you on any other game... it will laugh at that and spit at you. Wave it's junk at you then spank you with it and tear you down as a human being.
---
|CM HAF 932|I7-4770k @3.5GHZ|8GB Patriot Viper 3@1600MHZ|MSI Twin Frozr 7950|Antec Quattro 850|Samsung Evo 840 120GB|
#49Majoras_pantsPosted 4/27/2014 2:14:22 AM
"I did one thing, it didn't work, and then I did it again a dozen times!"

What was the definition of insanity again?
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#50TropicMoon10Posted 4/27/2014 2:38:13 AM
kobalobasileus posted...
It is not "almost universally loved." It has a tiny fanbase who just happen to NEVER SHUT THE **** UP!

Most of the gamers I know played it to the end, along with Skyrim. The internet seems to be divided into team Dark Souls or team Skyrim, as if they're games competing with each other. I don't really see them to be too similar. More importantly - why not enjoy both?
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg