This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Souls is popular?

#51WyzeGyePosted 4/27/2014 3:35:07 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
It is not "almost universally loved." It has a tiny fanbase who just happen to NEVER SHUT THE **** UP!

Most of the gamers I know played it to the end, along with Skyrim. The internet seems to be divided into team Dark Souls or team Skyrim, as if they're games competing with each other. I don't really see them to be too similar. More importantly - why not enjoy both?

Ahem... Team fable exists too.
---
http://puu.sh/8hi9W/9082c43c30.png
#52Lonestar2000Posted 4/27/2014 4:00:10 AM
How about instead of whining about it you go to some site that has FAQs for games?
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#53TropicMoon10Posted 4/27/2014 4:21:16 AM
WyzeGye posted...
Ahem... Team fable exists too.

Er... I tried Fable 1 and got bored after a couple of hours.

*flees*
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#54Dark_SpiretPosted 4/27/2014 4:47:45 AM
protools1983 posted...
To those telling me to explore: Thank you!! I knew I was missing something. I heard I was going to die a lot but that was ridiculous! I was thinking "how the hell am I supposed to do this!?
thats what the souls games do best. youre constantly up against moments of dread and hopelessness until something actually clicks and you persevere through it and that sense of satisfaction and re-leave washes over you. Thats a feeling you just dont get from most games nowadays. combine that with the games sense of exploration, diverse enemy and art designs, great overall sound design and its just a pretty unique expereince.
---
Currently playing: Resident Evil 4 - Just Cause 2 - Dark Souls 2
#55cody4783Posted 4/27/2014 9:05:48 AM
Majoras_pants posted...
"I did one thing, it didn't work, and then I did it again a dozen times!"
What was the definition of insanity again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_C5hdndk40
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#56LordOfLegaciesPosted 4/27/2014 8:00:35 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
It is not "almost universally loved." It has a tiny fanbase who just happen to NEVER SHUT THE **** UP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY
---
MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGG
#57ClouddxPosted 4/27/2014 8:14:03 PM
cody4783 posted...
Majoras_pants posted...
"I did one thing, it didn't work, and then I did it again a dozen times!"
What was the definition of insanity again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_C5hdndk40

I'll be waiting for you in hell, Robbie.

And when you get there, I'm going to eat your eyes...

over and over, because hell is repetition.

Born in sin... Come on in!
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#58JKatarnPosted 4/27/2014 8:20:23 PM
The game can be frustrating, but there's always a way out of a scenario/a way to beat a tough enemy, you just have to be observant and very patient. Regardless, you will die a lot (I know, I've died plenty and I'm not very far in the game on my PS3), but when you get some more stat points and the timing etc. clicks it's very gratifying to defeat an enemy.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#59JKatarnPosted 4/27/2014 8:30:58 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Demon's Souls was an RPG from Japan on PS3 when there was basically nothing to play. On top of that, it was relatively difficult during a time when much of the JRPG community was sick of how easy most modern JRPGs were,
Being an RPG from Japan, all of the sony fanboys jumped on it as the greatest JRPG ever, better even than TEH LEGENDERY FF7!!!11, despite not being a JRPG at all, being from a generally mediocre developer that capitalized on unpopular consoles by filling niches.
Just like pretty much any early exclusive PS3 game that wasn't complete garbage and wasn't a cheap knockoff of some mainstream game that was better on another platform, it was touted as the greatest thing to ever happen. Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

I can guarantee you that, had Demon's Souls been multiplat, it would be a niche series with a very small following, and the genre would still largely be ignored.

Or....and stay with me on this.....it could be that it's actually a challenging, unique game with a great sense of atmosphere and people enjoy playing it?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#60JKatarnPosted 4/27/2014 8:37:48 PM
capgamer posted...
^When people say "hand-holding" they are referring to games that coddle you to annoying levels. If you need an example, play any modern Nintendo game. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is a perfect example. Every 5 minutes in that game you run across a new tutorial. They don't trust you to figure out ANYTHING yourself. Dark Souls has a tutorial, but it's not in your face, and it leaves a lot for you to figure out yourself. That's part of the fun: figuring out how to play the game and surviving in a harsh world.

Nintendo games though are a special case of course as many parents see Nintendo consoles as safe and family friendly (which they are), so of course there will be more younger players playing .and the games are generally E-T rated so parents (diligent parents anyway) will be more inclined to buy them for their children. *DISCLAIMER* - I'm a big fan of Nintendo first-party games, not implying they are only for children, far from it, but rather they are family friendly in a sea of violent shooters and third-person action games.
---