This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain to me why Dark Souls is popular?

#61r7gerrabbitPosted 4/27/2014 7:54:03 PM
akuma634 posted...
Joni_Cunningham posted...
because it doesn't hold your hand

Everyone says this, but what the hell does that entail? It's like you're walking up some long stairs, but you can't fall because it has rails on the sides, is that hand holding? Would you rather the game lets you fall off and die? People love to dump on COD, but if you play that online it's like this "you spawn in a hostile area full of people trying to kill you, there is no tutorial and you will die a lot until you learn the game mechanics from trial and error." On paper, isn't that the appeal of Dark Souls? I'm not saying COD is a game about extreme patients and wit, but gamer elitism can be downright silly at times. We hate this for being this! But we LOVE this because it's like this! Just play what you want and get off the backs of anyone who doesn't love it as much as you.

Call of Duty goes to great lengths to hold your hand.
It has all sorts of aim assist and things behind the scenes to help players. It makes average people feel awesome. It is specifically designed for average players to feel awesome without work.
---
Sig.
#62DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/27/2014 9:11:32 PM
JKatarn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Demon's Souls was an RPG from Japan on PS3 when there was basically nothing to play. On top of that, it was relatively difficult during a time when much of the JRPG community was sick of how easy most modern JRPGs were,
Being an RPG from Japan, all of the sony fanboys jumped on it as the greatest JRPG ever, better even than TEH LEGENDERY FF7!!!11, despite not being a JRPG at all, being from a generally mediocre developer that capitalized on unpopular consoles by filling niches.
Just like pretty much any early exclusive PS3 game that wasn't complete garbage and wasn't a cheap knockoff of some mainstream game that was better on another platform, it was touted as the greatest thing to ever happen. Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

I can guarantee you that, had Demon's Souls been multiplat, it would be a niche series with a very small following, and the genre would still largely be ignored.

Or....and stay with me on this.....it could be that it's actually a challenging, unique game with a great sense of atmosphere and people enjoy playing it?

Then why weren't the dozens of similar titles released before it on more popular consoles never anywhere near as successful?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#63blax34dmPosted 4/27/2014 11:33:07 PM
Obvious troll bait topic
#64JKatarnPosted 4/28/2014 11:39:35 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
JKatarn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Demon's Souls was an RPG from Japan on PS3 when there was basically nothing to play. On top of that, it was relatively difficult during a time when much of the JRPG community was sick of how easy most modern JRPGs were,
Being an RPG from Japan, all of the sony fanboys jumped on it as the greatest JRPG ever, better even than TEH LEGENDERY FF7!!!11, despite not being a JRPG at all, being from a generally mediocre developer that capitalized on unpopular consoles by filling niches.
Just like pretty much any early exclusive PS3 game that wasn't complete garbage and wasn't a cheap knockoff of some mainstream game that was better on another platform, it was touted as the greatest thing to ever happen. Fastforward, PS3 is picking up a bit due to the publicity around the "Red Ring of Death", Dark Souls is announced as a follow up to Demon's Souls, and the entire gaming community goes ape****, and things basically just snowball into what they are today, much like anything that gets this popular.

I can guarantee you that, had Demon's Souls been multiplat, it would be a niche series with a very small following, and the genre would still largely be ignored.

Or....and stay with me on this.....it could be that it's actually a challenging, unique game with a great sense of atmosphere and people enjoy playing it?

Then why weren't the dozens of similar titles released before it on more popular consoles never anywhere near as successful?

Because, as they say "the devil is in the details"....there are metric tons of samey FPS titles out there that try to ape the top 3/4 franchises and they are nowhere near as popular because they don't have the same feel/control/environment etc.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#65BogePosted 4/28/2014 11:40:49 AM
What fun is a game without the victory? No game gives you the sense of victory like Dark Souls.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#66r0ge00Posted 4/28/2014 11:46:56 AM
Boge posted...
What fun is a game without the victory? No game gives you the sense of victory like Dark Souls.

There are quite a few if you're into platformers.