This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Wars EU including games non-cannon.

#1EpicKingdom_Posted 4/26/2014 2:12:30 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-25-lucasfilm-decrees-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-as-non-canon

Talk about a reboot.
---
http://i.imgur.com/bY3txRa.png
#2_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 4/26/2014 2:39:59 PM
Hasn't this always been the case? Regardless, something like 95% of the EU is rubbish anyway. Only a few parts of the EU would have been worth caring about.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x|iPad Air
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg
#3SlaynPosted 4/26/2014 2:43:38 PM
Uhhhh, did anyone expect the movies to have to do anything with the books? As far as I know the books go at least 2-3 generations beyond Luke to his.... great-grand children?

Since they want to make a whole bunch of new movies, why would any of the books and comics be cannon now? The new movies invalidate all the EU. I don't understand why it would have to do with The Old Republic though, since it is all in the past... Old Republic era I thought was really cool actually.

I always hoped they made an Old Republic era show or movie... then again since KOTOR2 and beyond ruined that, maybe they can reboot that too!
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#4darkstar4221Posted 4/26/2014 3:14:25 PM(edited)
**** Lucas Arts. It was the extended universe that kept the franchise alive for more than a decade after "Jedi". People forget how much Star Wars had faded into relative obscurity over the course of the '80s and early '90s.

This is why copyright law needs to be shortened to 14 years, the longer copyright is it allows "content creators" like Lucas and Disney to dismiss the works of others. Lucas a well known copyright abuser spent years on idol from Jedi to the Phantom Menace while others picked up the slack for him.
#5Orestes417Posted 4/26/2014 2:45:17 PM
I stopped caring well before Stewjon.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#6El_KazPosted 4/26/2014 2:46:54 PM
I'll never understand the fans' obsession toward the whole canon vs non-canon concept.
It's a fictional Universe... none of it actually happened! You've just got several versions of that fictional Universe branching out instead of a single cohesive version, that's all.

One commenter on the Star Wars EU story said he was disappointed because he now felt like having read the Star Wars EU books was a waste of time. What... the... f***...
---
Wait... what?
#7Orestes417Posted 4/26/2014 2:48:32 PM
El_Kaz posted...
I'll never understand the fans' obsession toward the whole canon vs non-canon concept.
It's a fictional Universe... none of it actually happened! You've just got several versions of that fictional Universe branching out instead of a single cohesive version, that's all.

One commenter on the Star Wars EU story said he was disappointed because he now felt like having read the Star Wars EU books was a waste of time. What... the... f***...

Here's the problem, if you don't know which version of a timeline you're in, it gets real confusing real quick when referencing those events that didn't actually happen.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#8xanthan1Posted 4/26/2014 2:52:55 PM
And then the fans just act like anything the new movies don't contradict still happened, same as it was going to be before.
#9darkstar4221Posted 4/26/2014 2:58:45 PM(edited)
El_Kaz posted...

If Lucas had acknowledged many parts of the EU and added it to the story this wouldn't be so much of an issue, but he considered everything about the EU to be non-canon.

Disney holds the "ip" to the Star Wars Franchise, so they get to determine what is canon and non-cannon even though there is thousands of people who contributed to the Star Wars Franchise.
#10biohazard1775Posted 4/26/2014 3:04:46 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
El_Kaz posted...

If Lucas had acknowledged many parts of the EU and added it to the story this wouldn't be so much of an issue, but he considered everything about the EU to be non-canon.

Disney holds the "ip" to the Star Wars Franchise, so they get to determine what is canon and non-cannon even though there is thousands of people who contributed to the Star Wars Franchise.

This sounds about right. He considered Empire Strikes Back to be the worst movie because someone else directed it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png