This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Wars EU including games non-cannon.

#31iusedtogamePosted 4/26/2014 7:01:08 PM
As the new owners of the SW franchise, they're just protecting themselves from future litigation by co-creators (,artists, writers, etc of the EU,) for whatever reason. It's an extremely smart move to make sure that everything is theirs, 100%, before proceeding with their big plans.

Sadly, declaring everything non-canon was probably the fastest and cleanest way to do so. The only people who will lose out are the loyalists who have dedicated a fortune of time and money to keep up with their passion. They can't get either back, now.

Thankfully, I've never cared about the EU. The movies were enough to suffice.
#32ChronoAcePosted 4/26/2014 7:08:27 PM
I just want another freakin Jedi Knight game... only game to have decent lightsaber combat
#33Padraigo52Posted 4/26/2014 7:15:42 PM
I still consider old republic canon, and that's all I care about.
#34mindoftwomoronsPosted 4/26/2014 7:28:30 PM
The very existence of Episode 7 would have done this anyways. Disney didn't want to be tethered down by the expanded universe so they said this now instead of people coming out of 7 being all "But that's not what happened according to (insert EU title here)!"

Yeah, it would be cool for everything to be one time line, and I can totally see why people are upset there's now going to be two(the one of the EU and the other of whatever Disney see's fit from here on out) and how confusing it could become to somebody maybe picking up the books later, but if comic books can survive multiple continuities I'm sure Star wars can as well.
---
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/monkeyofevil/magnaangemon.gif
#35Arn544Posted 4/26/2014 7:34:21 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
Arn544 posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
**** Lucas Arts. It was the extended universe that kept the franchise alive for more than a decade after "Jedi". People forget how much Star Wars had faded into relative obscurity over the course of the '80s and early '90s.

This is why copyright law needs to be shortened to 14 years, the longer copyright is it allows "content creators" like Lucas and Disney to dismiss the works of others. Lucas a well known copyright abuser spent years on idol from Jedi to the Phantom Menace while others picked up the slack for him.

Star Wars is his creation, the rights for Star Wars should not be up for grabs at any point during his lifetime, the current rules are fair.

And he has ruined his own creation. I bet if copyright was shortened to it's original term which was 14 years, there would be an incentive for Lucas to finish the work of Stars Wars instead of being idle for so long and allowing others to pick up the slack for him.

Now we got this mess if what Disney should do with all this work from the EU universe, and than for Disney to dismiss the work as non-canon is insulting to the people who contributed to Star Wars.

Lucas had plenty of time to move the series forward before selling his franchise to Disney, but others had to do it instead.

It was his right to ruin it though, in a way it was already non canon if it didn't come from his mind.

It's like white people cooking mexican food, it's not anywhere close to being the same thing. Technically he's the only one who can conceive a true Star Wars, because his mind is the only mind that created it.

Anyway from what I've seen most of the EU is mediocre anyway, and it's not like they're not all still there to be enjoyed.
#36darkstar4221Posted 4/26/2014 8:01:01 PM(edited)
Arn544 posted...
It was his right to ruin it though, in a way it was already non canon if it didn't come from his mind.

It's like white people cooking mexican food, it's not anywhere close to being the same thing. Technically he's the only one who can conceive a true Star Wars, because his mind is the only mind that created it.

Anyway from what I've seen most of the EU is mediocre anyway, and it's not like they're not all still there to be enjoyed.

The EU was only created when Lucas made it clear that he was not going to release a sequel to RoTJ. I criticize Tite Kubo (the creator of Bleach) for his poor writing but at least he kept his own franchise up to date, Lucas didn't even bother to do that.

And the EU had a huge impact on the story of Star Wars. In the EU Luke had a family and so did his sister. You had characters like Anakin, his sister Jaina, and Kyp Durron. You had the Jedi Academy, the New Jedi Order, all the Sith Lords like Darth Bane and Darth Krayt, etc.
#37DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/26/2014 8:26:18 PM
This just in: fanfiction is non-cannon!
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#38jing0000Posted 4/26/2014 8:51:05 PM
Honestly. If you love the EU universe of the books. Just continue to considered them canon. I'm sure there will be more in time and you can ignore Disney in the corner with lucas and consider his works to be "non-canon". Especially if the 7th movie sucks.
---
none
#39gentharrisPosted 4/26/2014 9:04:55 PM
If they wanted to make a kotor 3 they can always ask to make the story canon. games who have a good fanbase and can make a lot of money I am sure will aloud to be made canon.
#40xanthan1Posted 4/26/2014 9:08:11 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
This just in: fanfiction is non-cannon!

Officially licensed and made products aren't fan fiction. I'm sorry you use terms you don't understand.