This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Wars EU including games non-cannon.

#41DoomkillaPosted 4/26/2014 9:40:12 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
Doomkilla posted...
No thanks. I don't need some company to tell me what I should consider canon or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EZobdiJ4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrne2-gOoqU
---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#42LordOfLegaciesPosted 4/27/2014 12:09:23 AM
George Lucas stated a long time ago that the EU is non-canon. The matter is resolved and has been so for a long time, I don't know why people are just now getting upset about it. Nothing has changed.
And is anyone really surprised? Damn near every second of every character's lives are planned out for the next 100 years in the EU. If you were given a huge series like Star Wars with millions of people hopping up and down on the fence between kissing the dirt at your feet and using your nut sack as a dice bag, would you really want to be so severely restricted?

TruePowerSeeker posted...
Vader and Sidious were extremely weak in the movies and move very slow for top level sith. When you look at EU though you have Vader blasting giant electric balls of death and Sidious using a body switch ability to survive past the 6th movie.

Stupid crap like that is one of the reasons some people don't take the EU seriously. The way they were talked about, you're right the main characters in the movies should have been portrayed as much more powerful than they were. With all of the different books out there, everybody wants their own characters to be special and so you wind up with dumb bull s*** like forcing stars to go supernova and time traveling.
---
MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGG
#43Arn544Posted 4/27/2014 12:16:00 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
George Lucas stated a long time ago that the EU is non-canon. The matter is resolved and has been so for a long time, I don't know why people are just now getting upset about it. Nothing has changed.
And is anyone really surprised? Damn near every second of every character's lives are planned out for the next 100 years in the EU. If you were given a huge series like Star Wars with millions of people hopping up and down on the fence between kissing the dirt at your feet and using your nut sack as a dice bag, would you really want to be so severely restricted?

Vader and Sidious were extremely weak in the movies and move very slow for top level sith. When you look at EU though you have Vader blasting giant electric balls of death and Sidious using a body switch ability to survive past the 6th movie.

Stupid crap like that is one of the reasons some people don't take the EU seriously. The way they were talked about, you're right the main characters in the movies should have been portrayed as much more powerful than they were. With all of the different books out there, everybody wants their own characters to be special and so you wind up with dumb bull s*** like forcing stars to go supernova and time traveling.

The bad side effect Japanese anime has had on the world, started this trend of cartoony and over the top nonsense instead of the days when people valued authenticity and realism.
#44TruePowerSeekerPosted 4/27/2014 4:11:31 AM
Arn544 posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

The bad side effect Japanese anime has had on the world, started this trend of cartoony and over the top nonsense instead of the days when people valued authenticity and realism.

Star Wars is a universe with space wizards with laser swords and living teddy bears.

Realism sort of goes out the window when you can fire a missile down a 2 meter exhaust port using nothing but space magic.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX4leh13s8
#45kingoffpsPosted 4/27/2014 4:23:53 AM
Arn544 posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

Star Wars is a universe with space wizards with laser swords and living teddy bears.

Realism sort of goes out the window when you can fire a missile down a 2 meter exhaust port using nothing but space magic.

Indeed. That's impossible, even for a computer.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#46DiehardFFv2Posted 4/27/2014 8:40:59 AM
In all fairness it was a torpedo, not a missile.
---
3570k | Intel HD 4000 | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#47LordOfLegaciesPosted 4/27/2014 6:56:41 PM

I've always hated that argument. You can still talk about realism in a fictional universe. The entire point of any fiction is to treat it as an alternate universe which differs in several key areas. This gives one room to work with while they tell their story while still maintaining a "believable" story. It is not a loophole through which one can just throw any HURR RANDUMB idea in and have it be acceptable.
---
MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGG
#48Orestes417Posted 4/27/2014 6:59:34 PM
Indeed. Authenticity is one thing, but don't ever mistake it as the same as realism or that realism is required for authenticity. If one really wants realism they should turn the TV off and step the **** outside.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#49The cranky hermitPosted 4/27/2014 7:53:35 PM
It's not so much about "authenticity" as it is "plausibility." George Lucas personally authorized three godawful movies as being central to the plot. This does not place them above scrutiny, nor does people dismissing the EU as crazy nonsense have anything at all to do with its lack of authoritative approval.

Star Wars (the original movie), for all its impossible physics, is internally consistent, and generally plausible. Characters' actions make sense, given their personalities, situations, and motivations. Technology has its limits, and doesn't abruptly become capable of doing things without precedent - e.g. - R2D2 transforming into a gatling gun autobot during a climactic scene. This plausibility is why Star Wars is considered an all-time great film. Not because it's "authentic," and if you're watching it in a newer format than Laserdisc, odds are it's not even that.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#50Arn544Posted 4/27/2014 10:14:54 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
It's not so much about "authenticity" as it is "plausibility." George Lucas personally authorized three godawful movies as being central to the plot. This does not place them above scrutiny, nor does people dismissing the EU as crazy nonsense have anything at all to do with its lack of authoritative approval.

Star Wars (the original movie), for all its impossible physics, is internally consistent, and generally plausible. Characters' actions make sense, given their personalities, situations, and motivations. Technology has its limits, and doesn't abruptly become capable of doing things without precedent - e.g. - R2D2 transforming into a gatling gun autobot during a climactic scene. This plausibility is why Star Wars is considered an all-time great film. Not because it's "authentic," and if you're watching it in a newer format than Laserdisc, odds are it's not even that.

Precisely, even an impossible technology like the lightsaber has a plausible sound effect.
So do laser guns, and the sound like the force push makes (kinda like a vacuum sound)