This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Wars EU including games non-cannon.

#51EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 8:54:52 AM
Overall, I'm just going to live off the EU live I've been doing throughout my SW enjoyment..
---
http://i.imgur.com/bY3txRa.png
#52godplaysSNESPosted 4/28/2014 9:01:47 AM
George Lucas's work is what's always been the Star Wars canon.
People really shouldn't get upset about this, it's been known ever since the EU entered the picture.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#53Golden_GonadsPosted 4/28/2014 9:39:30 AM
Very little of the EU books were any good, and much of what was good was often inconsistent. Hell, it was mostly even more miserable and depressing than a Final Fantasy game.
#54GoIrish80Posted 4/28/2014 9:59:46 AM
El_Kaz posted...
I'll never understand the fans' obsession toward the whole canon vs non-canon concept.
It's a fictional Universe... none of it actually happened! You've just got several versions of that fictional Universe branching out instead of a single cohesive version, that's all.

One commenter on the Star Wars EU story said he was disappointed because he now felt like having read the Star Wars EU books was a waste of time. What... the... f***...

Totally agree with you, but you can't reason like that with the people you're talking about.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#55The cranky hermitPosted 4/28/2014 10:37:58 AM
"I don't care about continuity or cohesiveness and I don't understand why you do" isn't exactly reasoning.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#56Moorish_IdolPosted 4/28/2014 11:45:16 AM
Funnily enough, even though I've read dozens of EU novels, I've always figured it to be non-canon. Not sure why this is big news to people...
#57GiantOrangePosted 4/28/2014 11:48:31 AM
Oh well. We'll always have Paris.
---
Eli = Elite. Super Bowl XLVI Champs. Eat a bag of ****s.
Go Syracuse! Go Red Wings! Go NY Giants!
#58El_KazPosted 4/28/2014 11:55:38 AM(edited)
Any fictional setting evolving over a long period of time with dozens of contributors will see its continuity crumble under its own weight. It's inevitable; authors care way more about telling the story they want to than about staying within precise setting constraints established by previous work. This results in Universes that are constantly being expanded, stretched and retconned into horrible messes of discrepancies that no in-Universe explanation can convincingly wave off.
If you value cohesive settings above all else, sourcebooks for tabletop games like D&D, Warhammer & co. might be more to your taste than movies or novels.

In itself, drawing a canon vs. non-canon line does little to change the (un)cohesiveness of a setting. They're just convenient labels.
Hell, even within the Star Wars canon (6 movies + clone wars), the cohesiveness is shaky at best (especially when it comes to Force powers, technology, lightsaber duels, etc.).

---
Wait... what?
#59Arucard05Posted 4/28/2014 12:23:22 PM
I've read and played a lot of EU material over the years, and I never gave a single s^_^ whether it was canon or not. I enjoyed the experience and that's all I ask for.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/
B<3R I'm a model, you know what I mean.
#60GoIrish80Posted 4/28/2014 1:56:23 PM(edited)
The cranky hermit posted...
I don't care about continuity or cohesiveness and I don't understand why you do" isn't exactly reasoning.
---

That's not what he said, but it's typical for people like you to just twist it into something as simple as that.

It's a fictional Universe... none of it actually happened! You've just got several versions of that fictional Universe branching out instead of a single cohesive version, that's all.

There's his reasoning, right there. And it's completely logical and makes total sense. But see you don't agree with it (which you're entitled to do,) so instead you just go into a typical hollow message board response. Or you don't really agree or disagree, you're just responding because you crave attention.

The Special Edition of Star Wars changed the freaking movie to show that Greedo shot first. Should anyone REALLY be surprised that they would really not care about all the "Expanded Universe" stuff that was created just for the sake of making money?

If you get less enjoyment out of those things because of this announcement, that's your problem. And as the comment above stated and is completely accurate, IT'S FICTION. None of it really happened. If you need it to be "canon" to enjoy it, you're taking it way the hell too seriously.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2