This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Star Wars EU including games non-cannon.

#61The cranky hermitPosted 4/28/2014 1:06:09 PM
Any fictional setting evolving over a long period of time with dozens of contributors will see its continuity crumble under its own weight.

Usually, though there are some exceptions. I would go a step further and say that this is also likely to happen with any fictional setting that gets "revived" after a long period of inactivity, even with the same contributors.

But you're not really arguing here that fans shouldn't care about continuity. You're just arguing that continuity is difficult to maintain over long periods of time. I like it when books/movies/games can pull it off, and I'd rather see a good story come to a natural end than see it prolonged to the point of being crushed under its own wait.

In itself, drawing a canon vs. non-canon line does little to change the (un)cohesiveness of a setting. They're just convenient labels.
Hell, even within the Star Wars canon (6 movies + clone wars), the cohesiveness is shaky at best (especially when it comes to Force powers, technology, lightsaber duels, etc.).

In theory, it could. Star Wars' canon continuity *was* rock solid... in 1983. The Empire Strikes Back is certainly a better movie for sticking to the parameters established in Star Wars while completely ignoring the Holiday Special. And with Fallout 3, even though Bethesda cannot write decent narrative to save their lives, they had the balls to say "we are building off the story of Fallout 1&2, mostly 1, and completely ignoring Tactics and BoS."

The problem isn't that these labels are fundamentally useless. The problem is they're over-extended. It's a lot easier to apply them in a way that makes sense than it is to define them in a way that requires them to be applied in a way that makes sense.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#62The cranky hermitPosted 4/28/2014 1:22:35 PM(edited)
That's not what he said, but it's typical for people like you to just twist it into something as simple as that.
It's a fictional Universe... none of it actually happened! You've just got several versions of that fictional Universe branching out instead of a single cohesive version, that's all.
There's his reasoning, right there.

How am I "twisting" this exactly? The first part is irrelevant - of course none of it "actually" happened! Continuity is still a thing, even in fiction. And the second part isn't reasoning - just equating "canon vs non-canon" with "cohesive vs. non-cohesive," seemingly taking it for granted that nobody would care about the latter.

And I think you are putting words into my mouth. I never said I cared about the EU, or argued it should be considered canon, or argued that it needs to be canon in order to be enjoyable. The remainder of your post seems to be assuming that I have said these things.

FWIW, I agree with GL that the "EU" shouldn't be considered canon, but neither should the Special Editions, the prequels, or the Clone Wars, or anything Disney makes from this point on. The whole continuity of Star Wars hasn't been redeemable since Space Balls came out.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#63darkstar4221Posted 4/28/2014 2:19:02 PM(edited)
The cranky hermit posted...
Usually, though there are some exceptions. I would go a step further and say that this is also likely to happen with any fictional setting that gets "revived" after a long period of inactivity, even with the same contributors.

But you're not really arguing here that fans shouldn't care about continuity. You're just arguing that continuity is difficult to maintain over long periods of time. I like it when books/movies/games can pull it off,and I'd rather see a good story come to a natural end than see it prolonged to the point of being crushed under its own wait.

Well Lucas didn't want to move the franchise forward even after the prequel trilogy was over, so others decided to do it for him in the form of EU. In 2012 Lucas decided to have a change of heart and solid his ip to Disney. Star Wars was obviously mismanaged, episode VII should been released years ago.

I believe what incentivized Lucas to not finish Star Wars is the length of copyright law. If the length of copyright was shorter let's say 22 years (which is still long) there would have been more of an incentive for Lucas to put more work in Star Wars and we wouldn't this have this mess of what's considered to be canon and non-canon. Keep in mind it took 16 years for Lucas to release the Phantom Menace after RoTJ was released, now over 30 years for Lucasfilms to finally work on episode VII. And I'm not arguing about abolishing copyright or other aspects of copyright, just simply the length of the duration can cause distortions. Hell after 22 years Star Wars would be in the public domain.
#64godplaysSNESPosted 4/28/2014 2:40:00 PM
You talk as if Lucas had any obligation to "move the franchise forward". He didn't.

And it's quite logical that anything not made by Lucas will be regardes as non-canon.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#65Master_BassPosted 4/28/2014 5:17:11 PM
El_Kaz posted...
One commenter on the Star Wars EU story said he was disappointed because he now felt like having read the Star Wars EU books was a waste of time. What... the... f***...

That's a problem since they may not allow new books to be created following the original EU timeline. Allegedly, that's not the case, though, so it's a bit soon to be calling the EU a time waster. Not to mention it's not a waste of time regardless if you enjoyed it, as I'm sure you were getting at.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#66Peasant-GamingPosted 5/1/2014 8:50:54 PM
With the recent SW sale on Steam. I kind of feel weird knowing that whatever I purchase is no longer cannon. Lies, I grew up playing these!!