This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$600 budget. Need help building a decent gaming PC

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/26/2014 11:14:28 PM(edited)
B1g_Clown posted...
Eh. I'll keep my budget the same. Thanks though. But you would definitely say that intel is better then? I figured 6 cores > 2 cores. Especially the great reviews on the AMD 6core, comparable to an intel i5.

Excuse my ignorance for not fully knowing brands, etc.

AMD 6core is comparable to i3. It's worse in dual threaded/single threaded apps, and especially in niche games/small budget games where there isn't the money or time to sort out a proper, well balanced multithreaded content pipeline, as well as games running older engines, such as Source games or Unreal Engine 3 games.(some of which will drop to near unplayable framerates on any type of AMD machine, like Borderlands 2, with the draw distance up, no physX.)
Even most Cryengine 3 titles are very heavily reliant on one thread despite scaling to 8+.
The FX 6 core CPU will do a good bit better in very heavily threaded games, especially those with higher latency pipelines for things like physics or player movement, which is mostly just mainstream console ports. Things like battlefield, with lots of non-interactive physics effects, for example.

Edit:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-ivy-bridge_5.html#sect0
As an example.
More GPU demanding games mostly do fine on the FX CPU, but more CPU demanding games show even ivy bridge i3 in the lead.
Keep in mind, FX6200 is not worse than FX6300. It's clocked higher, though on an older FX architecture, so it mostly evens out. On the other hand, Haswell is clocked higher and more efficient at the same speed.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#12PsythikPosted 4/26/2014 11:15:48 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
B1g_Clown posted...
Eh. I'll keep my budget the same. Thanks though. But you would definitely say that intel is better then? I figured 6 cores > 2 cores. Especially the great reviews on the AMD 6core, comparable to an intel i5.

Excuse my ignorance for not fully knowing brands, etc.

AMD 6core is comparable to i3. It's worse in dual threaded/single threaded apps
This. A dual-core i3 will outperform AMD in your average task. intel's CPUs are more efficient per core, and AMD can't keep up, so they jam more cores into their CPUs to compensate.

Like Dark said, if all you play are the latest big-budget titles, or you do more multi-threaded work than gaming (like video editing, DJing, CAD, etc.) you'll be fine with AMD, otherwise an i3 is faster despite having four fewer cores than an equivalent AMD.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#13B1g_Clown(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 11:31:04 PM
The only games I play on my PC is diablo 3, swtor, and maaaybe wow from time to time.

So there is nothing wrong with AMD if I just want to play these games while listening to music with probably youtube in the background? What would do it better I guess is a better question. The intel i3 setup, or the AMD setup?

Also is the graphics card a good choice? Reviews on newegg kinda worry me.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjJi5xhAOzQ
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/26/2014 11:34:48 PM
B1g_Clown posted...
The only games I play on my PC is diablo 3, swtor, and maaaybe wow from time to time.

So there is nothing wrong with AMD if I just want to play these games while listening to music with probably youtube in the background? What would do it better I guess is a better question. The intel i3 setup, or the AMD setup?

Also is the graphics card a good choice? Reviews on newegg kinda worry me.

For those games, i3 will likely perform better, as they only use two threads, IIRC.
---
#15B1g_Clown(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2014 11:55:48 PM
Alright, so I suppose intel it is then :o

How's the graphics card in the current builds up there?

And when it comes to gaming, is investing more in a graphics card than a processor common?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjJi5xhAOzQ
#16HamJabroniPosted 4/27/2014 12:06:10 AM
B1g_Clown posted...
Alright, so I suppose intel it is then :o

And when it comes to gaming, is investing more in a graphics card than a processor common?

Yes, but with thosr games, a mid-tier gpu is fine
---
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"
-Lelouch vi Britannia
#17MrLostPosted 4/27/2014 12:17:09 AM
B1g_Clown posted...

If you're on 1080p or less like I assume you are, then it's an absolute ninja of a card that will tear through the games you said you play without breaking a sweat.
---
R.I.P. George Carlin (May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008)
The greatest comedian to ever grace the stage.
#18NemerlightPosted 4/27/2014 12:22:22 AM
Just buy PS4 if you cant afford good PC. Console will last you much longer too.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/27/2014 12:26:25 AM
Nemerlight posted...
Just buy PS4 if you cant afford good PC. Console will last you much longer too.

Consoles are a pretty bad value. You only get to play games made specifically for them, with a software markup, online sub fee, and you can't even do half the crap you do with a PC.
Consoles are a great buy for children, but they're not something for people with the money for their own hardware.
---
#20thegreatsquarePosted 4/27/2014 12:34:58 AM
Can you salvage any of your current PC? Even if just the case or HDD/SDD, that's $50-$150 or so freed up.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/