This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it just me, or are DoF and Motion Blur a waste of resource?

#31shamfuruPosted 4/27/2014 9:20:39 AM
The Witcher 2 has two really bad settings.

One is this weird lighting that makes everything glow like it is neon when under light.

The second is the motion blur that is so heavy the picture literally streaks when you turn.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#32strongo9Posted 4/27/2014 9:56:07 AM
Bloom, motion blur, and depth of field do not belong in video games.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#33hazecloudPosted 4/27/2014 10:13:51 AM
k debonair posted...
DoF can look pretty, makes for some great screenshots, and I often use it in Skyrim. Would I use it in an arena shooter? Hell No!.

Motion blur is just all-around bad and needs to die in a fire.

---
Games are meant to be played. Why so serious.
#34jake-sfPosted 4/27/2014 10:15:12 AM(edited)
strongo9 posted...
Bloom, motion blur, and depth of field do not belong in video games.

Absolutely this.

Noticeable bloom is downright sinful. In general, anything that transforms the scene into something glowy or adds "filters" to the screen are TERRIBLE features. I would not play quite a few games if they had no option to turn off bloom or post processing effects in general.

Depth of Field is the dumbest feature of them all, for sure. Has no reason to exist in video games. None. Its god awful. Get this crap out of here. Lesson: A screen is not an eye. My eyes are behind the screen. Get it, you dumb devs.

Motion blur is only bad because its VERY commonly misused. Things like moving the camera around in a FPS causing motion blur = pathetic. Who thought of something so awful. Motion blur needs to be carefully used to have any value.

I also have to add bad HDR to the list. Nothing worse than a game constantly changing how things are bright by itself, its obnoxious to ridiculous level when its noticeable. To see it, play any source game with it.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#35MuhammadJAPosted 4/27/2014 10:17:05 AM
These are the first two I turn off if I started having slowdowns.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, home of the Drama Queens.
Where you can get modded for stating your opinion.
#36JonWood007Posted 4/27/2014 10:18:20 AM
It tries to add the realistic flaws in human vision and wastes tons of resources in doing so. I prefer to play without it even if my rig is powerful enough to handle it.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#37No_MegaPosted 4/27/2014 10:22:48 AM
I generally enjoy DoF for single player games.

Motion blur is nice as well, but I wouldn't really miss it too much if it's gone.
#38MaximoomPosted 4/27/2014 10:28:37 AM
k debonair posted...
DoF can look pretty, makes for some great screenshots, and I often use it in Skyrim. Would I use it in an arena shooter? Hell No!.

Motion blur is just all-around bad and needs to die in a fire.

Agreed, I really hate motion blur.
---
Asus P8H61-MLE/BR | i5 3470 3.2Ghz | Zotac GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 1TB HDD | C3TEC 500Rve 500W Bronze | Samsung 32" LCD 1080p.
#39GynthaeresPosted 4/27/2014 10:30:24 AM(edited)
I always turn motion blur off. It just looks terrible to me. I like my game and the area / people around me looking crisp, not fuzzy. Especially when I or they are in motion (which is 99% of the game).

Depth of Field tends to have two settings: Eye-strainingly obvious (as a lot of ENBs do for Skyrim, for example), or barely-noticeable (Dark Souls 2).

For the former, I turn it off. It can be sort of realistic, except the focal point tends to be the crosshair, and I'm not always looking directly at the crosshair. These super-high DoF settings make me do more work, as I'm constantly moving my mouse to point at what I want to focus on. So I turn them off. It can certainly look pretty, but I wouldn't use it when I'm actually playing the game.
For the latter, I leave it on. Looks okay on occasion, don't notice it negatively most of the time. No big deal.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#40TheLoneDigitPosted 4/27/2014 11:03:49 AM
I prefer depth of field in cinematics, not gameplay. I almost always turn off DOF. I like subtle motion blur, but it's usually not subtle, so I normally turn it off. I'd rather have extra the frames per.