This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

KoToR declared non-canon by Lucasarts - probably won't see any sequels again

#21johnny_payPosted 4/28/2014 4:30:20 AM
it was lucasfilm who said the EU wasnt canon, not lucasarts.
#22Majoras_pantsPosted 4/28/2014 4:42:38 AM
Did anyone expect a KOTOR sequel at this point?

First. Of course that stuff should be non-canon. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to satisfy the millions of star wars nerds in any way while making a movie and trying to adhere to a canon made by 100s of companies and thousands of people who have produced stories in different mediums under the star wars brand? It would be impossible. Hell, they probably will never satisfy them anyway, considering the most valuable quality of the original star wars films is nostalgia, which can't be reproduced. But unlikely is better than impossible.

Second. Why would they WANT to continue licencing out the Star Wars brand when they'er now planning on continuing the series? Before, expanding the universe was never set in stone. Might as well milk it. But now they have long term plans. They're going to want direct control over what gets made with the Star Wars brand. If someone's going to make a game, they're going to want to have control over the story, in some form, so that they can make it canon and tie in with their productions to increase their success.

Third. Who cares? KOTOR 1 and 2 were both good games. But they weren't good because they're star wars. Who would make a sequel? Bioware certainly isn't up to it, considering the crap they've come up with. Obsidian doesn't need the Star Wars brand to make a good game. What's the difference if they were commissioned to make a Star Wars game as a sequel to the series, or a spiritual successor in an original or some other sci fi universe?
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#23clowningPosted 4/28/2014 4:56:07 AM
Seriously, who cares. Canon, non-canon.... This only matters if you are Disney and Lucasarts trying to make more movies and such. And of course they are not going to consider all the EU stuff canon, that would be madness, since there's tons of it.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#24SinfullyvannilaPosted 4/28/2014 6:04:15 AM
The films are one canon, the EU is another.

Just like comic series reboots.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#25godplaysSNESPosted 4/28/2014 7:14:47 AM
George Lucas himself, the actual creator of Star Wars, never considered the EU as part of his saga.
I don't get the sudden outrage over the EU yet again being confirmed as non-canon.

This is as surprising as Tolkien's work being the Lotr canon.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#26LordOfLegaciesPosted 4/28/2014 10:58:54 PM
johnny_pay posted...

George Lucas himself said it, so what's your point?
---
MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGG
#27Master_BassPosted 4/29/2014 1:00:47 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
johnny_pay posted...

George Lucas himself said it, so what's your point?

Yeah, here's his quite to reinforce that:

LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#28akuma634Posted 4/29/2014 1:04:17 AM
The way I read it was that this only applies to the new movies. With the next 3 movies, they've decided to ignore the expanded universe, so they can start fresh. This doesn't mean that all of Star Wars canon has been rebooted. The expanded universe books and games will still be made. It just won't have anything to do with the new movies.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#29akuma634Posted 4/29/2014 1:08:04 AM
Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.

And in internet hyperbole land "The entire expanded universe will be thrown into a bonfire and never spoken of ever again. F*** you! - Lucas Films"
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#30EpicKingdom_Posted 4/29/2014 1:11:48 AM
Go away straggler EU non-cannon topic.
---
http://i.imgur.com/bY3txRa.png