This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Valdis Story good?

#1calcyclePosted 4/27/2014 9:34:49 PM
I need a new 2D game in my life and this may seem like it. It seems appealing, but some people are saying that it is horrible and is the worst thing ever. Does anyone who has experience with the game give me their opinion?
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#2Blobs_Posted 4/27/2014 9:37:24 PM
Apparently not according to this guy :P
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69115214

Anyways there are probably better games of the type.
---
is haha
#3DawnshadowPosted 4/27/2014 9:47:55 PM
I've not tried it yet. Form what I've read I gather it has some really good ideas, but the controls are a bit finicky and the platforming requires a great deal of precision, which leads to frustration. It's not insurmountable, but it's enough to have turned some people off of it.

Keep in mind that the standard hyperbolic gamer rating scale has two possible ratings-- best game ever and trash that should never have been made. The guy in the linked post is taking the second point of view to mean "I don't like this game, so all indie games are terrible and shouldn't be allowed ever for anyone," which is... a little overkill?
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#4Gauge_TheoryPosted 4/27/2014 9:50:21 PM
I really liked the art and music of it, but the combat and movement made it impossible to finish for me. From what I remember the platforming was really awkward and enemies had a tendency to stun lock you. I absolutely loathe getting stun locked, so I just gave up about 5 hours in.
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/27/2014 9:58:54 PM
It's great.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#6BeknessPosted 4/27/2014 10:27:22 PM
I like what I played of it.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/ R<3B xx
#7jakisthePosted 4/27/2014 10:52:01 PM(edited)
+ Great bosses
+ Very interesting, yet simple, magic system
+ Fairly good combat
+ Loads of extra "nuances"; leveling assist characters, forging/leveling gear, stuff like that
+ Decent puzzle/platforming/action Metroidvania mix
+ Well developed leveling system

- Art style is very hit or miss
- Some weird climbing mechanics that take a bit to get used to
- A few extremely annoying spots where you'll climb allll the way up a tower, get hit, and get knocked alllll the way back down
- Somewhat samey enemies
- A little on the short side
- Horrendous final "boss"
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#8shamfuruPosted 4/27/2014 10:50:16 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
I've not tried it yet. Form what I've read I gather it has some really good ideas, but the controls are a bit finicky and the platforming requires a great deal of precision, which leads to frustration. It's not insurmountable, but it's enough to have turned some people off of it.

Keep in mind that the standard hyperbolic gamer rating scale has two possible ratings-- best game ever and trash that should never have been made. The guy in the linked post is taking the second point of view to mean "I don't like this game, so all indie games are terrible and shouldn't be allowed ever for anyone," which is... a little overkill?

Hey, the game is bad.

If it wasn't, I would not say it. I'm not being hyperbolic, I'm being honest. If that makes you uncomfortable then good, the truth hurts and I hope it leaves a bruise.

The real irony of the game is that the portion of the game covered by the demo is pretty decent. As the game goes on is just becomes more hackneyed and poorly thought out.

I would dare say the game starts falling the second the demo ends (right after the second boss). It is there that the game changes from a charming action game similar to Ys and Symphony of the Night right into a mess of poor platforming and twitch combat.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#9jake-sfPosted 4/27/2014 10:50:21 PM
The game isn't utterly terrible, I just didn't like many core aspects. The combat looked good from afar but it just didn't hit any good spot and had too many annoyances/bad design, the level design was completely forgettable and as a Metroidvania, well, its not worthy of that title.

I thought I'd like it from afar and then I played it, and never could get into it, and never finished it.

Thats as fair as I can be about it. Some people like it.

I just look for much, much more than that in the Metroidvania genre. Thats what I usually do. I just look at games and wish they went all the way. Instead they're not even a quarter of the way there.

If you don't want too much in particular, maybe you can enjoy it more than I did.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#10jakisthePosted 4/27/2014 10:53:10 PM
Also, it should be mentioned that the levels are a LOT more Castlevania in design than Metroid.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::