This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Valdis Story good?

#11shamfuruPosted 4/27/2014 10:56:01 PM
TC, if you want a GOOD metroidvania / ARPG, you have a lot of options.

Dust: An Elysian Tail for 360 / Steam / GOG

Muramasa the Demon's Blade for Wii / Vita

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles for PSP / Vita

ANY Ys game (on PSP, Vita, and Steam)

My friend who is a Youtube reviewer for a living suggested Magicians and Looters which is available for 360 and Desura.

Castlevania Mirror of Fate for the 3DS / PS3 / 360 is certainly ok but an acquired taste for sure.

All of those are worth the money.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#12R i c kPosted 4/27/2014 11:53:02 PM
Everything about it is pretty awesome except there are a bunch of difficulty spikes that will halt your progress in it's tracks, especially if you've been avoiding learning the combat system to it's fullest. A lot of bosses will severely punish button mashing. If you can handle a challenge, it's great.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
#13AcquirePosted 4/28/2014 12:12:14 AM
I didn't like it at all. It doesn't play or look good.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/28/2014 12:21:12 AM
shamfuru posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
I've not tried it yet. Form what I've read I gather it has some really good ideas, but the controls are a bit finicky and the platforming requires a great deal of precision, which leads to frustration. It's not insurmountable, but it's enough to have turned some people off of it.

Keep in mind that the standard hyperbolic gamer rating scale has two possible ratings-- best game ever and trash that should never have been made. The guy in the linked post is taking the second point of view to mean "I don't like this game, so all indie games are terrible and shouldn't be allowed ever for anyone," which is... a little overkill?

Hey, the game is bad.

If it wasn't, I would not say it. I'm not being hyperbolic, I'm being honest. If that makes you uncomfortable then good, the truth hurts and I hope it leaves a bruise.

The real irony of the game is that the portion of the game covered by the demo is pretty decent. As the game goes on is just becomes more hackneyed and poorly thought out.

I would dare say the game starts falling the second the demo ends (right after the second boss). It is there that the game changes from a charming action game similar to Ys and Symphony of the Night right into a mess of poor platforming and twitch combat.

You didn't like it because you couldn't handle your own bass-head headphones. That's not bad design, that's your own bad purchasing decisions.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#15shamfuruPosted 4/28/2014 2:00:58 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
You didn't like it because you couldn't handle your own bass-head headphones. That's not bad design, that's your own bad purchasing decisions.

Nice strawman genius.

From the thread you didn't read.

Let's just make a game and just toss as much disparate garbage as we can into it regardless of how well it fits or our own programming skill.

The game has hand drawn sprites, and a really busy, ostentatious soundtrack. It's pretty and it sounds flashy. That's it. And that is all that matters these days.

Level design? Decent gameplay? Enemies that aren't palate swaps? Fun? **** that, we don't even play games we just shove them in our steam library and forget about them. Who cares if they are mechanically sound, modern games are meant for looking at and arguing about nothing else.

The point isn't just that it is a bad game.

It is a bad game because it could have been good had the devs not been new to making games. Or playtested. Or didn't go out of their way to make things way too precise for what their controls are good enough for. Or didn't try to include so many disparate elements into the games without understanding them or if they fit. Or just paid attention beyond the pretty presentation.

Not only that, the game had a successful kickstarter, was picked up on greenlight, AND has a green meta critic rating.

People not only got swallowed by the hype and they liked the slop that was spat out by the devs.

Sure there are worse examples. Endless early access games, roguelikes and terrain editors being sold for $20 a piece, plenty of examples of taking the money and running.

But this hits home because THIS is considered good game design in the modern world. It's like they took the "everything but the kitchen sink" and "throw crap at the wall until something sticks" ethos and mashed them together until just laziness and overambition remained.

---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#16shamfuruPosted 4/28/2014 2:01:44 AM
Also

No, it deserves to be ripped apart because the levels are designed to be precise yet the controls are very gummy but sensitive. You have about a half second error (not joking) to get any jumping puzzle done and there are a lot of tiny platforms. The combat is no less reliant on twitch either.

In combat you get thrown back with every hit and there are no invincibility frames. You get juggled like Tekken. Not only that you get CCed like crazy and need to mash left to right to get out of it (there is no timer to the CC, you are stuck until you do the QTE). You can get chain CCed due to no invincibility frames and you can get CCed twice simultaneously. Oh, and there are CC traps on the floor sometimes that you cannot jump over due to the devs loving to put them in the middle of tiny corridors.

This isn't even talking about the fact there are enemies with shields and heavy knock back attacks on every small platform. Sometimes the only way to get up to these platforms is to stand on ground that breaks in one second of touching it (if even an enemy or a stray bullet touches it, it's gone for good). Meaning of you get knocked off you have to kill yourself or leave the area (this game loves cutting paths off though) to get the breakable platforms to respawn.

Also, you have a tiny map with no detail. There is no indication where bosses are and save points are so scattered that if you die on a hard encounter you accidentally stumbled upon, prepare to redo the entire dungeon again or fight through an encounter (that usually relies heavily on twitch platforming as well as twitch combat) you have no healing items for. This is a "metroidvania" that actively punishes exploration and backtracking, think about that.

They did all of that on purpose. That is not even all of the things this game does wrong. This game was not play tested. The devs obviously have NO experience in game design or game programming.

Ugh, I should have just closed this when I had the chance.

Let me clear the air here since I seem to have gotten to "real" for some of you.

Nothing will convince you fanboys of the flaws this game has as you are convinced this game is "retro" and "cool." You think you are one of the guys for liking it. You're not. Get that idea out of your head quick as you are conditioning yourself to support quick nostalgia cash grabs.

Unfortunately if you were actually around back when this type of game was king, you would realize how carefully crafted those games were. They lived and died on design alone.

This game would have died and have been forgotten 20 years ago; the only reason people like this game is because it just gives the illusion of being a part of gaming's golden years. It is no different than a bad garage rock record.

And that is what is wrong with the industry. Cool is all the matters. People are so far out of touch that they could not spot bad design if they wanted to as there are so few examples of it. And would they even care when so few people actually play the games they buy that it is practically fashion?

That is why this thread exists, that is why this game is bad.

End of. Period. I'm done.

---
#17shamfuruPosted 4/28/2014 2:14:20 AM(edited)
And from my steam review

So Valdis Story, how do I "hate" thee? Let me count the ways...

Three to five enemies in the entire game. They just change the color depending on if it is the fire cliche temple or the ice cliche temple or the forest cliche temple, etc, etc.

The constant reliance on platforming in a game obviously not designed to be a platformer. This is a HUGE part of the game, and they seriously overestimated their level design and controls for that purpose.

The constant side to side movement to get out of being frozen. That nonsense is terrible in every game that uses that mechanic.

Getting juggled in combat.

Hitboxes that make Dark Souls look like it was made well.

The fact you get knocked back 5 feet when you try to use a spell without mana. Bonus "**** you" you points for combining the above three into a dumbass trifecta of bad design.

Timed puzzles everywhere with really poor rewards for the memorization they require. Not to mention you have to wait for the timer to finish if you made a mistake.

Really basic and tiny map for a game that requires constant backtracking.

Levels that actively punish exploration by shoving bosses at you in seemingly random rooms or sometimes permanently blocking you off from areas you haven't explored yet.

The prototypical, beyond cliche JRPG story in this is less subtle than Lightning Returns.

The bass in this game is more woofy than a teenager's bedroom dubstep song.

The good things in this game are like a flower. It blooms in front of you, and makes you anxious for what comes next.

The bad things are SHOVED in your face repeatedly like the game is a grade school bully trying to make you eat dirt.

This game is like being in an abusive relationship.

Whole lot more than just bad sound mixing.
---
#18ToboeAkaPosted 4/28/2014 2:35:15 AM
I actually really enjoyed this game and played through it multiple times. The platforming isn't as good as other game, but what I really enjoyed was the combat, to me it felt like an actual action style combat system put in to a metroidvania type game. You have the ability to cancel out of any combo and also the canceling allows you to extend combos as well.
#19Silent Sniper IVPosted 4/28/2014 3:15:09 AM
shamfuru posted...

Dust: An Elysian Tail for 360 / Steam / GOG

It amazes me that you can enjoy dust after complaining about valdis. Dust had 0 depth to it whatsoever (entire game was resoundingly easy and could be won by spamming fidget firestorm AEs on every screen). It was about on the difficulty level of a kirby game.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#20DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/28/2014 3:27:24 AM
shamfuru posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Nice strawman genius.

From the thread you didn't read.

Everytime you dodge you get this really loud, flubby, bass woof right in your ear. You dodge about as much as you would in DMC here as well, so you hear it a few hundred times a minute in long fights. When I first starting playing today it was loud, when I stopped it was much quieter. I hope to god it just blew out my headphones instead (which is laughable in and of itself).

From the thread I did read.
None of the complaints you listed are actual issues with the game. Most of them are just you being garbage at one of the easiest genres of videogame in existence.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross