This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to get a new computer and honestly I am lost.

#1burningsmurfsPosted 4/28/2014 3:20:04 AM
So basically, I am looking to get a new computer. Due to a disability and new living situation I can't really put it together myself or have anyone who could do it for me. So I was looking at some of the sites that let you pick parts and they assemble and ship it for you but I just don't know if that is a good deal at all.

I have about 850 altogether I could spend on a new computer. I play things like star trek online, guild wars 2, I'd like to pick up Rift again or Aion and I play things like Skyrim once in awhile. I'd like to try ESO as well in the future. I don't need a computer that can play everything absolutely maxed out the most but if I could have nicer looking graphics for once that would be great.

So, basically I just am lost on what my best options would be. Some sites seem to actually sell decent prebuilt ones compared to what they were last time I shopped for a computer or perhaps the build it for you sites would be the best option? I just could use some advice on where to go and what parts to pick I have no idea what is best anymore.
---
I don't burn smurfs, I just figured a burning one would smell.
#2Fade2black001Posted 4/28/2014 4:37:13 AM
Go here

http://www.ecollegepc.com/intel-haswell.html

Input this for the configuration settings

Intel&nbspCore&nbspi5/i7&nbspConfigurator : Intel Core i5-4570 3.2Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core |

CPU FAN: Stock Intel LGA1150 Heatsink and Fan

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-D3H(Intel B85, HDMI, 2xPCI-E, 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)

RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA3 6Gbps (Major Brand)

Graphics Card/GPU: 2GB ATI Radeon HD7850 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand) |

Case: CoolerMaster Black HAF 912 (3 5.25, 5 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB/eSATA

Power Supply /PSU: 430watt Corsair CX430 V2 80 PLUS CERTIFIED

| Onboard LAN included | Onboard Sound included | Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans | 3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Total will be 800. It should play the games you want to on max settings pretty easily. The GPU can be upgraded a little but but I left the room open just in case you needed an OS, mouse, Keyboard and other things.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#3burningsmurfs(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 5:53:07 AM
I have a monitor I can use unless they use different plugins from a few years ago and amouse and keyboard as well I believe that will work. OS I will need though I havent any disks of any old ones laying around here.
---
#4Fade2black001Posted 4/28/2014 6:15:04 AM
OS Will set you back 100 bucks.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5Englandfc1966Posted 4/28/2014 6:49:59 AM
You don't need to buy the OS right away since you can use a 30-120 day free trial
---
Steam: Buffalosoulja
#6burningsmurfs(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 10:17:20 AM
I'm not sure when I'd have enough for one though so getting it all at once would be important.
---
#7burningsmurfs(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 10:57:55 AM
So I got some parts in my budget so far but I would like to try to get some feedback as well but how would these go together......

ASRock H81M-HDS Motherboard and Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Combo Fan Cooling

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card with 500 Watts Power Supply

I can also get 8 gb ram and the base case and hd drive with this setup from the configurator on the newegg site. Would those be good parts regardless of if I go through this site or not?
---
#8Garfield64Posted 4/28/2014 11:22:06 AM
You should NOT skimp out on the power supply. It can be a huge and very limiting bottle neck that people never realize is even limiting there system.

I recommend at LEAST a 800 watt for any modern gaming PC. Mainly for the higher amp flow that larger power supplies have.

Otherwise you could be limiting your overall performance when you need it most. When you don't have enough power it does not "cut off", it just under performs.

Also go here and click "bench marks" and check out Video and CPU sections. Use the price on right and the average benchmarks to find the "best deal" for most power for price.
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#9datopgamerPosted 4/28/2014 12:05:22 PM
Garfield64 posted...
You should NOT skimp out on the power supply. It can be a huge and very limiting bottle neck that people never realize is even limiting there system.

I recommend at LEAST a 800 watt for any modern gaming PC. Mainly for the higher amp flow that larger power supplies have.

Otherwise you could be limiting your overall performance when you need it most. When you don't have enough power it does not "cut off", it just under performs.

Also go here and click "bench marks" and check out Video and CPU sections. Use the price on right and the average benchmarks to find the "best deal" for most power for price.

A decent 500w is more than enough. You don't need anything above a 650w unless you are overclocking or running more than one graphics card. I've been running 2 gtx 670s an overclocked 3570k along with 4 hard drives and 5 case fans on a 750w PSU.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#10reincarnator07Posted 4/28/2014 1:17:44 PM
Garfield64 posted...

Been running fine on 550w PSUs for the last decade with no issues (I only use a single GPU). I could likely get by fine with even less power. Wattage is a terrible measure when trying to compare PSUs. In addition, PSUs are most efficient around 80% iirc, so you'd actually be wasting more energy with a higher wattage PSU unless you were actually using all that power.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero