This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommendations on inexpensive mechanical keyboard for TYPING, not gaming?

#11KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 4:52:05 PM
cuteboi100 posted...
For typing best keys in my opinion are MX Blues. Tactile and auditory feedback with low-medium actuation force. The Das keyboard seems to be the most highly recommended but it will set you back $150.

I use Reds personally, the low actuation force creates almost no fatigue whatsoever.

I'd love to find one with blues, but I'd probably be OK with browns.

IT just brought this other keyboard up - it's an HP-branded one. I asked *again* if they were sure it was mechanical, and they said yes, but I'm still not convinced. Typing on it, it feels exactly like rubber dome, and I popped a key off to look - it seems to have the typical rubber membrane most generic branded keyboards have these days.

It's an HP SK-2885. I can't seem to find specific information on the switch type after several searches. Anyone familiar with this? It TOTALLY seems like a rubber dome to me, which means it'll probably last me another couple years. :P I really want a mechanical so I don't keep running into double-press error issues after such a relatively short time.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12DragnfyrPosted 4/28/2014 4:59:55 PM
Yeah that HP is definitely a rubberdome.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#13KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 5:06:15 PM
Figured. Bloody IT. :P I asked TWICE to confirm it was mechanical. When I pop a key off and actually see the membrane tho... >_>

Guess I'll go ahead and ask my boss if I can work with IT to order an *actual* mechanical board. The CM actually looks pretty nice, and a reasonable price for the browns.
---
#14KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 5:27:30 PM
I just noticed a little notation on the QuickFire board on Amazon... it's $80 for the Amazon Prime option, but a little note that says "usually ships within 2-6 months." WTF? MONTHS??
---
#15ein311Posted 4/29/2014 12:50:30 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
I just noticed a little notation on the QuickFire board on Amazon... it's $80 for the Amazon Prime option, but a little note that says "usually ships within 2-6 months." WTF? MONTHS??

QFs are pretty in-demand boards. They're usually the go-to board for people wanting mechanicals, so I guess it isn't that big a surprise that Amazon stock is depleted on them.

The actuation of an MX Switch is far shorter than the bottoming out. The heavier force required to bottom out the greens is fine, since you'll then be able to adjust your typing to lift off when you feel the added resistance. Bottoming out makes keys very loud, so you get to type on a mechanical without it being louder than it has to be.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#16_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 4/29/2014 4:25:22 AM
There are a bunch of Costar made mechanical keyboards out there that are great quality for the price, and are actually less likely to give you any problems than some of the popular "flashy" mechanical keyboards people recommend like the Corsair ones (also, they are sometimes superior due to materials and parts used, such as costar stabilizers).

The quickfire rapid, along with a number of other Cooler Master keyboards are an example.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#17Snagg57Posted 4/29/2014 7:10:17 AM(edited)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9433

Cherry MX Blue (Tactile Bump + Audible Click)

$60 USD

No Led, 10-key

It gets recommended pretty often, and for what you're looking for its pretty good. Get it before it goes out of stock, otherwise it takes around a month to restock.

In fact I should get one someday.
#18KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 9:03:18 AM
Snagg57 posted...
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9433

Cherry MX Blue (Tactile Bump + Audible Click)

$60 USD

No Led, 10-key

It gets recommended pretty often, and for what you're looking for its pretty good. Get it before it goes out of stock, otherwise it takes around a month to restock.

In fact I should get one someday.

That actually looks very promising. And I've gotten official permission to get a mechanical keyboard, so at this point I'm waiting to hear back from IT whether they'll order something themselves (I told them I'd prefer Cherry blues or browns), or whether I just order something and submit a receipt for reimbursement. I'll definitely take a look at the Monoprice board tho - didn't even know they made stuff not cable-related. heh
---
#19BilliePilgrimPosted 4/29/2014 9:09:40 AM
If you're in an office environment, your coworkers are going to hate you for getting blues.

I'm using the 10-key version of the keyboard arleas posted. It's pretty great so far and you can find them for relatively cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129022
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#20KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 9:12:47 AM(edited)
I have my own office. They'll hear it, but it won't be obnoxiously loud to them.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, if any of you have used an IBM Model M, how does the sound of blues compare? Louder? Quieter? Roughly equal? If it's equal or quieter than the Model M, I'm OK with it... If it's louder, we'll see. heh
---