This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommendations on inexpensive mechanical keyboard for TYPING, not gaming?

#21Killah PriestPosted 4/29/2014 8:20:32 AM
I prefer typing on my logitech illuminated which uses a special scissor switch key type.

not mechanical but still love it for typing.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#22KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 8:32:43 AM
Sweet. I've got the go-ahead from IT to pick and buy the keyboard myself, since that's not part of whatever it is they report to the state. I think I'm pretty much down to the Quickfire XT with browns or that Monoprice just linked with the blues. I'm actually a little bit torn.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#23ein311Posted 4/29/2014 8:57:52 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
I have my own office. They'll hear it, but it won't be obnoxiously loud to them.

I had my own office. I still came into work one day to find someone took my keyboard and hid it because it was so loud.

Blues are loud, man.

Edit: If you do any sort of business that involves phone calls while you type on your keyboard, you're going to regret blues real quick.

---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#24KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 9:00:08 AM
Well, I'm on the phone a good bit... didn't think about that part. :P Maybe the browns will be better after all.
---
#25wizardmonPosted 4/29/2014 9:08:36 AM
Browns are good for office work, and you could always O-Ring it to see if you like that better.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#26KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 2:13:24 PM
Well, I ended up going with the Quickfire XT with browns. It just got here, and even tho there's actually less tactile feedback than I expected, it's still TONS better than the feel of the squishy, imprecise feel of the membrane keyboard they brought me earlier. It has a surprisingly light feel to it (then again, my expectations were still more in the direction of the Model M). It's even lighter to type on than the membrane keyboard was tho. It's a tiny bit louder, but perfectly fine for an office setting, so I'd say I'm happy. And this thing should outlast my job here, instead of wearing out after a couple years like every other cheap keyboard they've given me up to now.
---
#27Quinn95Posted 4/30/2014 2:21:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#28DoramiPosted 4/30/2014 3:16:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#29wizardmonPosted 4/30/2014 5:03:25 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
It has a surprisingly light feel to it (then again, my expectations were still more in the direction of the Model M).

Of course, buckling springs had a really heavy feel that's closer to greens than anything else in reality. IIRC, Greens where actually created to emulate the feel of the Model M.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#30KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 5:14:44 PM
Yeah, I caught that, although from reading, it looks like the greens are even *more* stiff than the buckling springs were/are. I think the Model M is about as stiff as I'd want. I actually like the feel of this keyboard tho - so much better than the rubber dome they tried to pass off to me as mechanical. And that one was even worse than the previous rubber dome I wore out.
---