This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm in a military base with shared internet. How do I...

#81Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 11:37:44 AM
^ I wasn't, sorry if you misunderstood me.

btw, I'm not trolling as you accused. Allow me to clarify.

I really am in a military base but it's because my father is in the military and the apartment is being worked on, so we're staying here until it's done. I'm not staying in some tent where privates hang around, I'm staying at a sort of hotel for officers [colonels and up]. That's why I wanted to mask my activities.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#82BilliePilgrimPosted 4/29/2014 1:47:51 PM(edited)
Tyranius2 posted...
^ I wasn't, sorry if you misunderstood me.

btw, I'm not trolling as you accused. Allow me to clarify.

I really am in a military base but it's because my father is in the military and the apartment is being worked on, so we're staying here until it's done. I'm not staying in some tent where privates hang around, I'm staying at a sort of hotel for officers [colonels and up]. That's why I wanted to mask my activities.

That would be your local inn, and it's for everyone. Mostly used for transients and personnel on TDY, so unless your father is some ballin ass general, it's not going to be your local DV suite. Regardless, they really really do not give a flying f. Cannot stress this enough. Stop being paranoid or start building a spank bank.

jokujokujoku posted...
It does not excuse the rape in any way

It doesn't, it's just passing part of the blame onto the victim. Rationalize it however you want, you're still blaming the victim for something someone did to them.

jokujokujoku posted...
And saying that I should have used better judgement does not make me a mugging sympathizer, a mugging apologist, or a victim blamer.

But that's exactly what it makes you. You saying it doesn't doesn't actually change what you're doing.

---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#83Orestes417Posted 4/29/2014 2:07:34 PM
Life's about choices and their consequences, why should the party with misfortune befalling them be given a pass on theirs regardless of what the other party does or doesn't do?

You go running your mouth antagonizing a guy in a bar and you end up getting your ass handed to you, yeah the guy who's doing the beating made a choice to physically assault you. That doesn't change your actions in the matter in the slightest. We need to start holding everyone accountable for their actions.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#84LazyyAmericanPosted 4/29/2014 2:36:14 PM
I'll second the notion that it's better for everyone to know what you're doing then to wind up being waterboarded for potential treason in their eyes.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#85Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 3:39:01 PM
You go running your mouth antagonizing a guy in a bar and you end up getting your ass handed to you, yeah the guy who's doing the beating made a choice to physically assault you. That doesn't change your actions in the matter in the slightest. We need to start holding everyone accountable for their actions.

Yep. And in reality, people will actually say that the guy who antagonized the other deserved it.

Rape is just seen differently because of double standards. I'm not saying rape victims deserve it in any way. But if they facilitate the act by passing out due to irresponsible drinking, then yeah, next time be more careful. I wish we lived in a world where we could pass out anywhere and walk around flaunting our rolex watches but we don't.
---
#86Orestes417Posted 4/29/2014 3:43:22 PM
Where people get hung up is it's not about what's deserved. It's about what can reasonably be expected to be a possible outcome given a pattern of behavior. No one "deserves" to be beaten to a bloody pulp at a bar because they made the wrong comment to the wrong guy. By the same token, you ask anyone standing around at such incidents and they'll probably tell you they could see it coming a mile away in a significant amount of cases.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#87MaxCHEATER64Posted 4/29/2014 3:48:33 PM
I'm 99% sure that Jimi Hendrix was discharged from the army for exactly what TC is planning on doing.

And I'm not talking about the hiding internet traffic thing.

---
http://i.imgur.com/zkNfWZ0.png
"Some people have skeletons in their closets. I just have a bone in my pants." -Mitchell2003
#88BiFeenyKillPosted 4/29/2014 3:56:15 PM
Tyranius2 posted...

Yep. And in reality, people will actually say that the guy who antagonized the other deserved it.

Rape is just seen differently because of double standards. I'm not saying rape victims deserve it in any way. But if they facilitate the act by passing out due to irresponsible drinking, then yeah, next time be more careful. I wish we lived in a world where we could pass out anywhere and walk around flaunting our rolex watches but we don't.

the sort of thoughts that people who never graduated highschool come up with
---
People who've needed "a monstah to topple dat dere patriahcheh!": 138
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Mister_Feeny | http://www.last.fm/user/nabiki87
#89Mr HangmanPosted 4/29/2014 4:00:42 PM
bit8gent posted...
Wow there's a lot of immature people here. Hiding your online identity is not necessarily about being a "deviant," it's about caring for your privacy. Anyway, you can use hotspot shield, peerblock if you're downloading anything from torrents, and a very secure way to browse is to use the Tor Onion browser (yet it's very slow). There's also ways to spoof your MAC address.

Hotspot Shield tracks your browsing and performs analytics on it, then modifies the pages you're looking at to contain ads they customize for you. Peerblock is worthless, it's just an extra firewall and it does nothing to protect the traffic you are sending and receiving. MAC addresses are only used on the LAN, and there's no reason to need to spoof one in this context.

Tor is the only one of those things you can trust to protect your anonymity, and while it is noticeably slower than browsing without it, I don't think it's "very slow". I use it every day and it's rare that it causes me any trouble.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#90Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 4:08:53 PM
BiFeenyKill posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

the sort of thoughts that people who never graduated highschool come up with

So you're one of the people I was talking about? I'd rather not go to high school if it turns me into a clueless person.
---