This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New CPU, or overclocking current one? Also other upgrade advice.

#1crimzonwarriorPosted 4/29/2014 4:32:54 AM
Here is my problem I would love to upgrade my current CPU, but I have no idea what sort of quad cores my mother board supports, or if it will even support one much stronger than my current duel core. I also don't want to spend money when I don't need to as upgrading the Ram, Mother board, and CPU, and possibly power supply which is 450 watt would eat my lunch. So would over clocking be an option? Right now my rig can support the Witcher at max settings, and the Witcher 2 on low settings. My goal is to be able to support the whitcher 2 on high, and the upcoming witcher 3 on medium, or low. Would appreciate any advice on how to handle this situation.

OS= Windows Vista 64 bit service pack 2

Power Supply= 450 Wat power supply

CPU= Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHZ, 2600 Mhz, 2 cores

GPU= GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Driver Version 337.50

System Ram= 6 GB of RAM

Mother board= NY429AA-ABA p6110y

Bios American Megatrends Inc. 5.39/6/2009

Current Montior 1600x900, 60Hz
#2Master_BassPosted 4/29/2014 4:47:33 AM
Your best bet is to just save up for new parts, honestly.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#3crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 5:01:51 AM
Master_Bass posted...
Your best bet is to just save up for new parts, honestly.

I wouldn't mind buying a new CPU, but how do I go about finding which one will work with my current sett up?
#4mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 5:18:51 AM
Look up the socket type of your motherboard. If its intel, it will be something like LGA 1155 or LGA 2011, and if its AMD it will be AM2, AM2+, AM3, etc. Then, go to http://www.newegg.com, and go to cpu/processor and use the filters on the left to narrow down a cpu that will fit your mobo.
#5mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 5:22:56 AM
Personally, I'd shell out the extra and build a brand spanking new rig around the i5 4670 haswell processor. Get a halfway decent gpu, around like $130, and you could easily max witcher 2, probably even medium/high for witcher 3.
#6crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 5:24:39 AM
mrtywer posted...
Look up the socket type of your motherboard. If its intel, it will be something like LGA 1155 or LGA 2011, and if its AMD it will be AM2, AM2+, AM3, etc. Then, go to http://www.newegg.com, and go to cpu/processor and use the filters on the left to narrow down a cpu that will fit your mobo.

p6110y is that the serial code? Where would I find this information on my system specs?
#7crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 5:26:24 AM
mrtywer posted...
Personally, I'd shell out the extra and build a brand spanking new rig around the i5 4670 haswell processor. Get a halfway decent gpu, around like $130, and you could easily max witcher 2, probably even medium/high for witcher 3.

I just bought a brand new GPU that's great trouble is the Processor is an ancient mid powered toad, and I would really like to upgrade, but I don't want to have to buy a new mother board, or power supply as that will get up in the 300 range quickly.
#8wildog2006Posted 4/29/2014 5:30:06 AM
It's a pre-built HP. Your best bet is to replace it all.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#9mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 5:35:51 AM
p6110y is the model of the pc - I did a quick google check, and it looks like that computer is a pre-built HP tower. So, unfortunately, that right there limits the amount of changes you can make, you CAN'T get a new mobo because your copy of Windows is Original Equipment Manufacturer copy (OEM) so it would lock you out if you tried to upgrade your mother board.

It seems that your motherboard is a LGA 775 socket - It's older, but you can still find processors that fit it. Your processor is the Pentium dual core, you could easily upgrade that to a Core-2 Duo or Core-2 Quad (The quad is going to perform better, but will be slightly more expensive) and you will see a boost to your performance.

All in all, I think right now you should upgrade to a Core-2 Quad, get as much power as you can from your machine, but start saving up around $800 towards building a whole new tower. If you got the Core-2 Quad, it can last you probably for another 18 months or so before you will start running games on low-end or not running at all, so it does buy you some time.

My current setup (which is not going to be around for much longer, I'm about to do a major upgrade) uses the Core-2 Duo, at 3.0ghz with a Sapphire R7 260x GPU, and I can run most modern games (as in, games that were released within the last year or so) at medium-high, so, since the Core-2 Quad is a step up from mine, you should be good to go for a while.
#10mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 5:36:38 AM
wildog2006 posted...
It's a pre-built HP. Your best bet is to replace it all.

If his budget is below $300, there are a couple things he could do to squeeze the last bit of usability out of it.