This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New CPU, or overclocking current one? Also other upgrade advice.

#11crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 5:50:52 AM
mrtywer posted...
wildog2006 posted...
It's a pre-built HP. Your best bet is to replace it all.

If his budget is below $300, there are a couple things he could do to squeeze the last bit of usability out of it.

First of all let me say thank you so much this has been a taxing issue for me for a few years as I have been beating around looking for solutions for my rigs setup finding it to be dated, and not sure what it could, and couldn't support. I recently dove in with that new power efficient GPU, and got great results as it couldn't play anything at all before outside of a media players. So I will look into that CPU, and get this rig of mine humming along.
#12godplaysSNESPosted 4/29/2014 5:55:29 AM
According to HP, the motherboard can take Q6xxx and Q9xxx CPUs

I wouldn't get a Core 2 Quad unless it was really cheap though. A core i3 beats them even in multithreaded games/applications
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#13mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 5:56:51 AM
Hey, man, no problem! I know what it's like to work with a budget build, and anything you can do to boost performance, even for a little while, can totally be worth it.

You should be aware, that in the future, when your current machine bites the dust, you should ALWAYS look into building your own computer, and do NOT go looking at pre-builds. They will often times cut corners on very important parts, like PSU and GPU's, and for the same amount of money, you can build yourself a computer that is head and shoulders above pre-builts.

Best of luck with your upgrades. If you've never installed a CPU before, I'd watch a couple tutorials on youtube about thermal paste, you definitely need to make sure you apply it correctly so your new CPU doesn't get fried.
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
/it's not state-of-the-art but it works!/
#14crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 5:57:02 AM
mrtywer posted...
p6110y is the model of the pc - I did a quick google check, and it looks like that computer is a pre-built HP tower. So, unfortunately, that right there limits the amount of changes you can make, you CAN'T get a new mobo because your copy of Windows is Original Equipment Manufacturer copy (OEM) so it would lock you out if you tried to upgrade your mother board.

It seems that your motherboard is a LGA 775 socket - It's older, but you can still find processors that fit it. Your processor is the Pentium dual core, you could easily upgrade that to a Core-2 Duo or Core-2 Quad (The quad is going to perform better, but will be slightly more expensive) and you will see a boost to your performance.

All in all, I think right now you should upgrade to a Core-2 Quad, get as much power as you can from your machine, but start saving up around $800 towards building a whole new tower. If you got the Core-2 Quad, it can last you probably for another 18 months or so before you will start running games on low-end or not running at all, so it does buy you some time.

My current setup (which is not going to be around for much longer, I'm about to do a major upgrade) uses the Core-2 Duo, at 3.0ghz with a Sapphire R7 260x GPU, and I can run most modern games (as in, games that were released within the last year or so) at medium-high, so, since the Core-2 Quad is a step up from mine, you should be good to go for a while.

Forgot to ask, but which version of the Core-2 Quad should I upgrade to? I noticed that there are few additional qualifiers following its title, and different versions of it.
#15mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 5:57:38 AM
godplaysSNES posted...

I wouldn't get a Core 2 Quad unless it was really cheap though. A core i3 beats them even in multithreaded games/applications

CPU socket is LGA 775, it's not quite ready for an i3 lol.
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
#16mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:03:39 AM(edited)
crimzonwarrior posted...

Forgot to ask, but which version of the Core-2 Quad should I upgrade to? I noticed that there are few additional qualifiers following its title, and different versions of it.

Go for a Q9550. It's going to be a good Price / Performance ratio CPU. It's like, $150 on Amazon, and that is going to be a top-tier core 2 quad you can get. One step down is the Q8300. It could save you $20, but you're also losing some speed, from 2.83 ghz to 2.5. It's up to you if you want to save the extra money, either one is going to give you a very noticeable performance increase.
---
#17crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:01:49 AM
mrtywer posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

CPU socket is LGA 775, it's not quite ready for an i3 lol.

crimzonwarrior posted...
mrtywer posted...
p6110y is the model of the pc - I did a quick google check, and it looks like that computer is a pre-built HP tower. So, unfortunately, that right there limits the amount of changes you can make, you CAN'T get a new mobo because your copy of Windows is Original Equipment Manufacturer copy (OEM) so it would lock you out if you tried to upgrade your mother board.

It seems that your motherboard is a LGA 775 socket - It's older, but you can still find processors that fit it. Your processor is the Pentium dual core, you could easily upgrade that to a Core-2 Duo or Core-2 Quad (The quad is going to perform better, but will be slightly more expensive) and you will see a boost to your performance.

All in all, I think right now you should upgrade to a Core-2 Quad, get as much power as you can from your machine, but start saving up around $800 towards building a whole new tower. If you got the Core-2 Quad, it can last you probably for another 18 months or so before you will start running games on low-end or not running at all, so it does buy you some time.

My current setup (which is not going to be around for much longer, I'm about to do a major upgrade) uses the Core-2 Duo, at 3.0ghz with a Sapphire R7 260x GPU, and I can run most modern games (as in, games that were released within the last year or so) at medium-high, so, since the Core-2 Quad is a step up from mine, you should be good to go for a while.

Like here is some of the different ones I found off amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q6600-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B000LRMR26

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processor-2-83GHz-1333MHz-BX80569Q9550/dp/B0012WDMNC/ref=pd_cp_pc_3

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Quad-Core-Processor-1066MHz-LGA775/dp/B000TGK05A/ref=pd_cp_pc_2
#18crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:03:29 AM
mrtywer posted...
crimzonwarrior posted...

Go for a Q8300. It's going to be a good Price / Performance ratio CPU. You can get ones that run at a higher frequency, but to jump from a 2.4 ghz to a 2.8 (not a huge performance jump) is going to set you back an extra $70, so the Q8300 Core 2 Quad is probably going to be one of your better choices. I found one on Amazon for $130.

How important is GHZ as a rating goes? My current duel has 2.6 which is technically higher than 2.4, but I am guessing that doesn't matter do to core count?
#19Loserman15Posted 4/29/2014 6:06:25 AM(edited)
Horrible choice. Don't get any processors for that ancient dead socket. Just save up a little and get an i5 or i3 haswell with DDR3 ram and a new mobo. Maybe 300$, maximum. Way worth it.

Since it's a pre-built, that makes things more complicated. your gpu is already plenty good and that 450w PSU might be ok.

if you salvage the HDD out of it along with the GPU and maaaybe PSU, you can build a capable build for 300, 350 tops.
#20mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:08:12 AM(edited)
A quad-core 2.4 will out-perform a dual-core 2.6 all day long. A dual core 2.6 has 2 cores at 2.6 ghz, whereas a quad core has 4 cores @ 2.4 ghz. They can perform nearly twice as many calculations per second in the quad core, overall. Also, make sure to check out my post again, I edited it because I found a better processor for only a few more dollars.

Loserman15
Horrible choice. Don't get any processors for that ancient dead socket. Just save up a little and get an i5 or i3 haswell with DDR3 ram and a new mobo. Maybe 300$, maximum. Way worth it.

He'd also have to get a new copy of windows, then, and probably format his drives since it's a pre-built HP, with oem windows vista. Sounds like he just wants to upgrade the system he has, for now. I agree, it's not an ideal situation to be in, build-wise, but if it works for him and makes him a happy gamer, then it just might be worth it to him.
---