This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New CPU, or overclocking current one? Also other upgrade advice.

#21crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:06:56 AM
Loserman15 posted...
Horrible choice. Don't get any processors for that ancient dead socket. Just save up a little and get an i5 or i3 haswell with DDR3 ram and a new mobo. Maybe 300$, maximum. Way worth it.

But if my tower won't support a new mother board.
#22Loserman15Posted 4/29/2014 6:07:43 AM
I think you are delusional if you think Core2 socket will outperform Ivy Bridge or Haswell.

Judging by your current CPU I'm inclined to believe it even more.
#23Loserman15Posted 4/29/2014 6:08:25 AM
crimzonwarrior posted...
Loserman15 posted...
Horrible choice. Don't get any processors for that ancient dead socket. Just save up a little and get an i5 or i3 haswell with DDR3 ram and a new mobo. Maybe 300$, maximum. Way worth it.

Then get a new tower bud. 3-350$.

You will NOT be satisfied with a Core2Quad. I promise you.
#24mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:10:05 AM
Loserman15 posted...
crimzonwarrior posted...
Loserman15 posted...

He already said his TOTAL budget for upgrading this was to be below $300, and I'm not trying to tell him this is going to outperform ANYthing from the i-series. It WILL, however, give him an improvement over what he has.
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
/it's not state-of-the-art but it works!/
#25Loserman15Posted 4/29/2014 6:13:34 AM(edited)
Not any performance that is worth paying any more than maybe 50 or 60 dollars for.

If you're going to spend 150 dollars on a core2quad, then don't even bother.

save the money until you can afford a new tower. money much better spent.

but im done here. waste your money if you want
#26crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:13:36 AM
Loserman15 posted...
crimzonwarrior posted...
Loserman15 posted...

Yeah, but I am not trying to build a new machine man. That is 180 more dollars than I want go off this right now, and I need to get a laptop, and laser printer, so the more economical the better.
#27mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:18:17 AM
Loserman15 posted...
Not any performance that is worth paying any more than maybe 50 or 60 dollars for.

Again, not ideal, I was just trying to provide him some upgrade options to his current machine.

I completely agree, it's outdated and not really worth upgrading, but not everyone has the money available to just build a new rig. Yeah, he's probably over-paying for the technology level versus what's available (at very similar prices, part-for-part) but if it lasts him long enough to save for a whole new build, it might be worth the extra to him. No need to get all frustrated about it,
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
/it's not state-of-the-art but it works!/
#28Loserman15Posted 4/29/2014 6:19:26 AM
I'm not frustrated at all. I just don't see the appeal in spending half of what it would take to build a new computer (using some old parts) in order to tide him over to build a new computer.
#29crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:19:58 AM
mrtywer posted...
Loserman15 posted...

Again, not ideal, I was just trying to provide him some upgrade options to his current machine.

I completely agree, it's outdated and not really worth upgrading, but not everyone has the money available to just build a new rig. Yeah, he's probably over-paying for the technology level versus what's available (at very similar prices, part-for-part) but if it lasts him long enough to save for a whole new build, it might be worth the extra to him. No need to get all frustrated about it,

It's cool if a stranger is getting upset for me you can just imagine how I feel about it. Never buy anything from best buy damn I was green as shell in 2009...
#30halomonkey1_3_5Posted 4/29/2014 6:20:17 AM
You really would be better off just buying a new mobo+cheap CPU and a new copy of windows(I've heard you can call them up and tell them your motherboard died and they'll move the license to the new machine, but I've never personally done it...YMMV).

For comparison, you could buy a C2D Q6600 for $175~ and still not really get too much more performance(I mean, its much better than your current CPU, but not anywhere close to being "good" by modern standards and its a pretty worthless upgrade ESPECIALLY when its $175) OR you could buy a new mobo and a haswell i3 for roughly the same price and get double the performance of the Q6600 and NOT have to upgrade again in less than two years just to play new games.

Heck, if for some reason you couldnt get MS to move your license, you could just buy a new mobo+haswell pentium and a new copy of windows for just a little bit more than the Q6600(and the haswell pentium would STILL outperform the Q6600 in most games).
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest