This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New CPU, or overclocking current one? Also other upgrade advice.

#31crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:24:36 AM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
You really would be better off just buying a new mobo+cheap CPU and a new copy of windows(I've heard you can call them up and tell them your motherboard died and they'll move the license to the new machine, but I've never personally done it...YMMV).

For comparison, you could buy a C2D Q6600 for $175~ and still not really get too much more performance(I mean, its much better than your current CPU, but not anywhere close to being "good" by modern standards and its a pretty worthless upgrade ESPECIALLY when its $175) OR you could buy a new mobo and a haswell i3 for roughly the same price and get double the performance of the Q6600 and NOT have to upgrade again in less than two years just to play new games.

Heck, if for some reason you couldnt get MS to move your license, you could just buy a new mobo+haswell pentium and a new copy of windows for just a little bit more than the Q6600(and the haswell pentium would STILL outperform the Q6600 in most games).

Thank you guys for the new rig options as well. If I move right now its pretty much under 160, or bust. Later down the road i will probably be able to go in for an entire new rig, but I do need something for the time being, so the Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 2.83GHz is looking like the best option.
#32mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:25:18 AM
Loserman15 posted...
I'm not frustrated at all. I just don't see the appeal in spending half of what it would take to build a new computer (using some old parts) in order to tide him over to build a new computer.

Just because it's compatible with 90% of his current machine, and is less trouble. If he decides to opt for the core2quad, literally all he has to do is plug it in and he's gold. Given the resources, I agree that he'd be MUCH better off with an i-series, but it sounds like he's not willing to go down that road just yet.

we'll get him eventually.
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x, $200. Hey, it's better than smacking rocks together.
#33halomonkey1_3_5Posted 4/29/2014 6:29:02 AM
I just read that you need a laptop...you'd be better off just putting the $160 towards that, tbqh. I dont see why you would want to throw away that kind of money on a tiny upgrade that will barely extend the longevity of your current setup.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#34mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:30:23 AM
I just read that you need a laptop...you'd be better off just putting the $160 towards that, tbqh. I dont see why you would want to throw away that kind of money on a tiny upgrade that will barely extend the longevity of your current setup.

Actually, this is also very sound logic. I must have missed that part of your post.
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x, $200. Hey, it's better than smacking rocks together.
#35godplaysSNESPosted 4/29/2014 6:33:05 AM
Perhaps I've missed it TC, but are you looking at buying new or used? Used Q6000 CPUs can be quite cheap

The upgrade in question is still quite huge, games like BF3/BF4 will suddenly become fully playable. Poorly multithreaded games like Starcraft 2 will still chug though.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#36crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 6:47:10 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Perhaps I've missed it TC, but are you looking at buying new or used? Used Q6000 CPUs can be quite cheap

The upgrade in question is still quite huge, games like BF3/BF4 will suddenly become fully playable. Poorly multithreaded games like Starcraft 2 will still chug though.

Yeah don't down play the upgrade from my Fossil CPU I am using right now. I can do barely do anything with it as it stands. From your perspective you are thinking "ptffff medium graphics for the next two years who cares about that!". But as apposed to essentially nothing its not to bad a deal.
#37mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 6:49:43 AM
crimzonwarrior posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Yeah don't down play the upgrade from my Fossil CPU I am using right now. I can do barely do anything with it as it stands. From your perspective you are thinking "ptffff medium graphics for the next two years who cares about that!". But as apposed to essentially nothing its not to bad a deal.

Hey man, like I've said all along: If you think it's worth it, THEN BY DAMN IT'S WORTH IT.

Plus, with a new cpu, you'll DEFINITELY be able to run Witcher 2 better. My current build (in my sig) has a slightly lower-end processor than the Q9550, and I can ultra-high Skyrim at 45-50 fps. Granted, it's 95% my GPU, but you get the idea.
---
#38crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 7:01:32 AM
Alright I am going with the CPU. Thanks everybody for your help, and advice. This will breath some new life into my rig, and allow me to focus on the other gear I need to be picking up.
#39spanishbobPosted 4/29/2014 7:09:57 AM
Just to chime in, when you try to activate OEM Windows on a new motherboard you will be given a phone number to call. You then get through (at least every time I've done it) to an automated service. You end up with a code that you put in and hey presto, activated.
#40foodeater4Posted 4/29/2014 7:22:42 AM
I was using a core 2 duo up until this January I was pretty happy with it still. I think upgrading to the quad will be a good boost for you. Enjoy breathing some new life into your rig and save for a amazing rig in like a year and half-2 years.