This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New CPU, or overclocking current one? Also other upgrade advice.

#41crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 8:25:59 AM
Ok minor update, but I just found one used in very good condition for 100 dollars with thermal paste, so yeah we have a winner. Thanks everybody for your time, and feedback.
#42JockoPosted 4/29/2014 2:07:30 PM
crimzonwarrior posted...
Ok minor update, but I just found one used in very good condition for 100 dollars with thermal paste, so yeah we have a winner. Thanks everybody for your time, and feedback.

Well you can't leave us hanging now. Which one did you get?
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#43mrtywerPosted 4/29/2014 2:56:39 PM
Jocko posted...
crimzonwarrior posted...

Well you can't leave us hanging now. Which one did you get?

Think he said he was going for the Q9550 core 2 quad. If he found one for $50 less than I found (which was about 5 seconds of searching for a core 2 series), good on him.
---
Current rig: ASUS p5q pro-turbo - 4g DDR2 RAM - Intel Core-2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 ghz - Sapphire Radeon R7 260x, $200. Hey, it's better than smacking rocks together.
#44crimzonwarrior(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2014 7:06:01 PM
Alright got the CPU Q9550 core 2 quad installed, and after a rather "informative" learning process of thermal paste application,cleaning dust out of my heat sink, and oiling my CPU's fan. I have fully completed restoration of my PC. It now I can happily say runs Witcher 2 on high 30+ FPS (possibly 60 haven't checked yet) with v sync, and triple buffering producing a rather pleasant experience to say the least.

Thanks everybody who gave me advice, and especially mrtywer. For taking the time to look up the strongest CPU my mother board can handle.

I am also looking for a Laptop for around 250. For higher end multimedia viewing, and web usage. If anybody has any recommendation I would appreciate it.
#45PsythikPosted 5/4/2014 7:14:46 PM(edited)
crimzonwarrior posted...
Alright got the CPU Q9550 core 2 quad installed, and after a rather "informative" learning process of thermal paste application,cleaning dust out of my heat sink, and oiling my CPU's fan. I have fully completed restoration of my PC. It now I can happily say runs Witcher 2 on high 30+ FPS (possibly 60 haven't checked yet) with v sync, and triple buffering producing a rather pleasant experience to say the least.

Thanks everybody who gave me advice, and especially mrtywer. For taking the time to look up the strongest CPU my mother board can handle.

I am also looking for a Laptop for around 250. For higher end multimedia viewing, and web usage. If anybody has any recommendation I would appreciate it.
The reason why you're getting 30 FPS in Witcher 2 is because you have VSync on. Turn it off in every game and never turn it back on ever again. Go into the nVidia Control Panel and use Adaptive VSync instead.

With VSync on, every time your FPS goes even 1 FPS below 60 VSync drops the game to 30 FPS. Adaptive VSync turns VSync off every time the FPS dips so you get the best of both worlds. But with your rig, you'll probably never go past 60 FPS in newer games so you can just turn it off completely.

As for a $250 laptop, just get a Chromebook or a Tablet.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg