This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about Anistropic, Anti-Aliasing, and Vertical Sync.

#1ZanimarPosted 4/29/2014 10:02:20 AM
Heya I was just wondering if it's better to use the in-game option for these 3 or is it better to manually configure them via Nvidia's control center program? Also with a GTX 560 TI what would be a good spot to have Anistropioc and Anti-Aliasing at without them reducing fps too badly if I have a i7 processor and 8gb of RAM?
---
Steam - Renryuu
3DS FC - 3007-8283-2971
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 4/29/2014 10:06:17 AM
For AA it depends on the game. Some games have AA that doesn't affect fps as much. I think FXAA is one example. For anisotropic filtering I've heard that even at 16X it doesn't hurt fps enough to matter so try to set that as high as possible.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#3popping4itPosted 4/29/2014 10:12:39 AM(edited)
in-game vsync usually works better since they're built into the pipeline. the vsync from nvidia panel usually doesnt work.

AF doesnt really reduce framerate much anything above 8x usually doesnt make much difference visually and i usually run without AA because it affects framerate basically use as much AA until it adversely affects framerate. the thing about AA is that the higher pixel density things go the less AA you'll need so a 20in @ 1080p looks fine without AA.
---
whens mahvel?
#4Jprime666Posted 4/29/2014 10:13:55 AM
AF is one of the last things I'l turn down if I need more frames. It has very little effect in most games.

AA is one of the most demanding things, depending on the type of AA.
---
Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!
#5Zanimar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 10:35:40 AM
Hmm, kk. It isn't that I'm having fps issues with games, but rather that I was just curious since something brought this to my mind. I was configuring Dead Space to make it as good as I can and just noticed that when I disabled V-sync in that game and manually turned it on via the Nvidia panel that the mouse cursor stopped lagging (although still moves faster than I'd like it too) and that Dead Space has no option for Anistropic Filtering so I had to manually set that as well via the control panel so it made me curious as to if the in game options truly are the better way to go or if I should just use the control panel for all the games I have and future games.
---
Steam - Renryuu
3DS FC - 3007-8283-2971