This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Prison Architect

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Prison Architect
1 year ago#11
Just watch the trailer. They basically say their game is a buggy piece of garbage but you should buy it anyways. Early Access!
1 year ago#12
Sorry to break it to you TC but when World of Goo came out, indie games were already a "thing". You are not cool anymore.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
1 year ago#13
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Sorry to break it to you TC but when World of Goo came out, indie games were already a "thing". You are not cool anymore.

It came out in 08 officially, but the tech demo was released way before then.

And back then what did you have?

Cave Story (2001-2004), Darwinia (2005), Lugaru (2005), Alien Hominid (2004).

The ur-indie really was Geometry Wars in 2005. It showed that a game needed to only have a tiny budget and very little gameplay to sell millions. Cue interest from various "creative" people without jobs.

Indie games were not really a thing though until Braid came out in August 2008, and that game apparently cost $1M to make. Braid's critical appeal is what attracted the hipsters to the genre, and the commercial success made them stay because they finally found a way to get paid for pseudo-philosophical garbage.

Infiniminer in 2009 proved empty sandboxes to screw around with were profitable.

Minecraft started getting really popular in late 2010 and proved that unfinished games make a lot of money.

Then it really got popular with Bastion in 2011 because it showed that the big 4 were willing to get into "indie" game dev. Bastion was paid for and published by Warner Brothers after all.

Finally The Binding of Isaac in late 2011 proved that game design or high quality visuals were not needed for a successful game. They could be entirely randomized and look like flash cartoons and still sell.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
1 year ago#14
How would you describe it?
I've mostly heard it compared with Dwarf Fortress.

The workers will stop construction at random times, prisoners will get stuck, deliveries wont be unloaded and garbage wont be loaded.
Guess those comparisons aren't too far off.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
1 year ago#15
I've had PA since the beginning. The problem is that people are expecting a finished game and riot when something goes wrong. I bought the game so that I could break it, which I've done a lot.

Content and strategy-wise, it's improved every month, and will continue to do so. It was well worth my $30 in 2012 and it's probably worth your $10 now that it's on sale.
1 year ago#16
Are they ever going to fix that or is that an amazing gameplay feature? "Your workers have a chance to go on strike AT ANY MOMENT!"

That or it is a realistic representation of running a facility full of actual civil servants.

Must be since they have had 2 years to fix it and they don't care.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
1 year ago#17
I've only run into one game breaking glitch ever. These other problems mentioned can be dealt with pretty easily..
1 year ago#18
the worst part about prison architect is that introversion put subversion to the side to make it

seriously, subversion was the much cooler game idea :(
1 year ago#19
So what is the final verdict on the game, barring the many bugs.
---
1 year ago#20
Its fun and worth the money to me. And i bought it at full price.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Prison Architect

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived