This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which 10" Android tablet should I get? Nexus 10, Galaxy Note or Tab Pro 2014?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 4/29/2014 11:47:03 AM
I just got a Nexus 10 and while I like it a lot, the menu is a little slow and I'm experiencing a ton of really annoying issues (random freezes, random reboots, and various wifi wonkiness) so I'm planning to return it.

What I have to determine now is whether or not to replace it with another Nexus 10, or a different tablet. I know that the "smart" thing to do is to wait for Google to release a new version of their big Nexus tablets, but that's not really an option for me as this is a "graduation present" (getting my BA in a few weeks!). Right now I'm looking at the Samsung tablets, as they are in the same price-range (approximately $500 USD). Specifically the newer model Notes/Tab Pros with 2560x1600 displays.

The Galaxy Note's "S-Pen" stylus seems very promising to me, but I've read worrisome things about it--that, in spite of its impressive hardware, it is sluggish and not very responsive. I've also been told (by salespeople pushing Nexus tablets) that it's better to have a Nexus because it will always be up-to-date with the latest version of Android, but is that really so important? The Galaxies don't use proprietary versions of Android like Amazon, so I'd still be able to us a custom launcher (like Nova) and customize it however I like, right? I'm also a little confused about battery life, as the Nexus 10 has a ~9000mAH battery and the Galaxies have 6000-8000mAH batteries, but the Galaxies advertise a battery life of 13 hours whereas my (admittedly defective) Nexus 10 can really only handle 4-6 hours of video playback at 20% brightness. So, either the Galaxies use less power-intensive hardware, or they're fibbing about battery life--because higher-capacity typically means longer-life, right?

The Nexus 10 is a "tried and true" device, but the one thing right now keeping me from getting one right away (and saving $100) is the lack of expandable memory. (Both Galaxies support micro-SD cards up to 64GB).

I'm super-undecided right now so I'd appreciate any feedback, thoughts or suggestions you fine people can offer me. I'll be using the tablet primarily for media consumption, web-browsing, and gaming (and possibly sketching if I get the Note, but I'm not a very skilled artist so that's not a huge feature for me).
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2ThePCElitistPosted 4/29/2014 11:50:30 AM
I like the Galaxy stuff so I vote the Galaxy Note Pro 2014 version. That thing is fast.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#3drinkPosted 4/29/2014 11:56:29 AM
I have a older galaxy note 10.1. Its still great.

Higher capacity does typically means longer, but a lot of other thing come into play when talking about battery life. If I was in your shoes, I would get the Tab Pro 2014, but I do hate the side speakers.

This video goes over the specs of both
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYkc1OA4-Qs
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#4Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 12:10:42 PM
That video was very informative, but really just makes it harder to decide. More vibrant display and stylus on the Note sound awesome... but bloatware does not. Can you customize the note to use a more bare-bones style Android like the Nexus? Or use custom launchers? Looking at the video, the UI the Note uses is... not very great.

One other thing I'm curious about is screen protection. The Google Nexus uses that spiffy off-brand Gorilla Glass stuff that makes it really hard to scratch. What about the Note?
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#5NicodimusPosted 4/29/2014 12:15:29 PM
I would never support a multimedia device that didn't have expandable memory, but that's just me.
---
My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#6DoramiPosted 4/29/2014 12:23:49 PM(edited)
You can remove the bloat on the galaxy tab by either installing a custom rom or rooting it and uninstalling things. The custom rom option is much easier, because you don't have to research which apps are necessary, though you do give up Samsung's proprietary functions.

Personally, I prefer Samsung because their devices are well supported and have microsd.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#7urtvPosted 4/29/2014 1:29:30 PM(edited)
root it and install cyanogenmod

or get sony xperia z tablet
#8GoIrish80Posted 4/29/2014 1:34:35 PM
I have a Galaxy 12.2, and I love it. The specs are identical to the 10.1 models other than the 12.2 having a bigger battery (and screen, obviously.) I just couldn't own a nexus because of the lack of an SD card. Yes there are "bloat" apps on the Samsung, but that's well worth dealing with to have much more storage. And as others have said you'll be able to root/rom the samsung to get rid of some of those apps if you really want to.

Really nice device, android has come a long way in when it comes to tablets. The tablet apps were really lacking for a while now, but that's been shored up nicely. There are some that could still use some work (looking at you eBay,) but overall things are much better now. I love the multitasking on the 12.2, it works really well.

Also doing things like playing Baldurs Gate and reading comics on the 12.2 tablet is just outstanding. They look great.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#9BeerOnTapPosted 4/29/2014 1:41:50 PM
Nexus 10. You must have gotten a dud.
That is not typical of the Nexus 10.
I prefer the stock Google experience over any crappy bloat that Samsung adds with touchwiz.
#10r0ge00Posted 4/29/2014 1:52:31 PM(edited)
BeerOnTap posted...
I prefer the stock Google experience over any crappy bloat that Samsung adds with touchwiz.

About the only time I'll ever agree with you. I made the same choice when it came time to get a new phone. The Nexus 5 is awesome. I love getting updates regularly now. I can live without the additional storage.