This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which 10" Android tablet should I get? Nexus 10, Galaxy Note or Tab Pro 2014?

#11Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 1:14:36 PM
Yeah, the 12.2" Note looks pretty spiffy, but it's a little too expensive for me. If I spend that much money on a tablet, I'd probably be too terrified of damaging it to use it very much.

I'm not interested in rooting, at all, because I've had bad experiences doing that in the past. What's "rom"-ing? Emulating stock android?

I'm leaning toward the Note 10.1 right now, but I'm still worried about the battery, bloat, and screen (those of you with Galaxies--do they scratch easily?). I think maybe the best thing for me to do now, as much as I know it will be loathsome to actually do, is swing by the local BestBuy and see if they have a Note on display I can play with, side-by-side with my Nexus, so I can compare its responsiveness.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#12Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 2:49:49 PM
Oh, one more question. If I root or ROM, will I still be able to use the stylus?
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#13Loserman15Posted 4/29/2014 2:54:23 PM
Unless the ROM was built for the feature in mind, any fancy stylus features that are in the manufacturer's rom will probably be excluded.
#14CardigansFanPosted 4/29/2014 3:04:13 PM
Loserman15 posted...
Unless the ROM was built for the feature in mind, any fancy stylus features that are in the manufacturer's rom will probably be excluded.

This, it has to be a Touchwiz-based ROM, otherwise it'll just be an accurate stylus.
---
'93 Saturn SL2 * Nexus 5 * NX300
Clevo W230SS 3200x1800
#15DoramiPosted 4/29/2014 10:50:46 PM
ROM means installing another OS on it. Usually, it means an OS with some interface tweaks over the base Android Open Source Project (AOSP), though I believe some devices can have Ubuntu Touch. To get to a custom ROM, you generally use the same steps as rooting, though after installing a ROM, you don't need to do nearly as much to get it to behave as you want it to.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#16h3IIfir3pho3nixPosted 4/30/2014 6:19:17 AM
Out of those 3, you should get a Nexus 10. The "pure" Google experience is so much better than anything with an overlay.

But, and I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, if you want a tablet for the sake of a tablet you would probably be better with an iPad. In my experience, Android is much better on a phone's screen (I have the Nexus 5 and love it), but the software on Apple scales better to a tablet screen. Yes, it's more restrictive and there is less free stuff, but it is a much better experience IMO.

However, since the topic is about a choice among Android tablets, Nexus 10.
---
"Spilt Mountain Dew on my Xbox :( What can I do?" -natevines
"Hit the undew button" -DetectiveDoom
#17ein311Posted 4/30/2014 7:25:17 AM
BeerOnTap posted...
Nexus 10. You must have gotten a dud.
That is not typical of the Nexus 10.
I prefer the stock Google experience over any crappy bloat that Samsung adds with touchwiz.

This. The Nexus 10 is super fast and responsive. TC's doesn't sound like it's working properly.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#18shamfuruPosted 4/30/2014 7:36:38 AM
Note for dat pen.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#19SampsonMPosted 4/30/2014 7:39:41 AM
ein311 posted...
BeerOnTap posted...
Nexus 10. You must have gotten a dud.
That is not typical of the Nexus 10.
I prefer the stock Google experience over any crappy bloat that Samsung adds with touchwiz.

This. The Nexus 10 is super fast and responsive. TC's doesn't sound like it's working properly.

I was considering getting a Nexus 10, but reports like the TC's stopped me. Something is wrong with his Nexus 10, obviously, but it isn't unusual -- many, many people have gotten faulty/malfunctioning Nexus 10s. Just look at the reviews on Amazon.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#20Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 11:37:18 AM
Yeah, it seems like a lot of people have had issues with the Nexus 10. Apparently random reboots are a very, very common problem.

Anyway, I went to BB today and played around with the Galaxy tablets. I... I think I'm sold. Maybe. I took a Nexus 7 2013 to compare, and it the UI wasn't sluggish in the least (even with a dozen different apps running simultaneously). The UI was pretty ugly, though. Right now I'm trying to decide between:

Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, 32GB ($550)
Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, 16GB ($450)
Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, 32 GB ($600)

The stylus was really cool, but as far as I can tell the various apps don't really have the versatility to allow the tablet to function as a drawing tool. The Samsung rep told me there was a version of photoshop available, so if there is and it's something that works well, I think I'll go with the Note. That said, I wasn't able to find a Photoshop/Illustrator drawing app in the Play store, and without something like that it doesn't really seem worth it.

So barring the note, I'm deciding between Tab Pro 10.1" and 12.2", which AFAIK have basically the same hardware. I kind of feel that if I'm going to spend so much money on a tablet, I should just go ahead and get the bigger one... but that means paying more for the tablet AND paying more for the case... so I don't know. It'd be $150 USD more, which is a fair bit.
---