This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

windows installation stuck at "setup is starting"

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows installation stuck at "setup is starting"

User Info: kickthegnome

kickthegnome
2 years ago#1
So i'm repairing laptop and was getting a 0f30 error that the hard drive wasn't found. When i would run the system diagonistic tests all the tests would fail at the hard drive. However, command prompt from recovery let me access the harddrive but not do anything like /fixboot or fix the mbr it would say "hard drive is locked"

I decided to format the hard drive. However, when I try to reinstall windows it gets stuck at "setup is starting"

I'm at my wits end with this computer. Is the hard drive dead or is there anything else I should try before calling it.

User Info: Ch3wy

Ch3wy
2 years ago#2
The hard drive is probably dead.
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
2 years ago#3
When all the tests point to a failing HDD, it can't possibly be a failing HDD...
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''

kickthegnome
2 years ago#4
I'm just not sure if I'm missing something

User Info: r7gerrabbit

r7gerrabbit
2 years ago#5
First open the laptop and ensure the cables are snapped in 100%

Otherwise it sounds like a failed drive or faulty installation media.
If the Bios is detecting the drive then burn a new Iso. I find that USB installs work better than disk.

If it still fails with new media then it's definitely the drive.
Sig.

kickthegnome
2 years ago#6
It got stuck on both a windows 8 disk (that I know works) and a windows 7 disk I just burned.

I'll try USB though. The cables are plugged and secure I've double checked that multiple times. I just wasn't sure if I missed anything.

This laptop just got a motherboard repair btw due to a bad gpu.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows installation stuck at "setup is starting"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived