This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

windows installation stuck at "setup is starting"

#1kickthegnomePosted 4/29/2014 12:45:27 PM
So i'm repairing laptop and was getting a 0f30 error that the hard drive wasn't found. When i would run the system diagonistic tests all the tests would fail at the hard drive. However, command prompt from recovery let me access the harddrive but not do anything like /fixboot or fix the mbr it would say "hard drive is locked"

I decided to format the hard drive. However, when I try to reinstall windows it gets stuck at "setup is starting"

I'm at my wits end with this computer. Is the hard drive dead or is there anything else I should try before calling it.
#2Ch3wyPosted 4/29/2014 12:46:35 PM
The hard drive is probably dead.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#3wildog2006Posted 4/29/2014 1:02:35 PM
When all the tests point to a failing HDD, it can't possibly be a failing HDD...
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#4kickthegnome(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 4:09:35 PM
I'm just not sure if I'm missing something
#5r7gerrabbitPosted 4/29/2014 4:20:50 PM(edited)
First open the laptop and ensure the cables are snapped in 100%

Otherwise it sounds like a failed drive or faulty installation media.
If the Bios is detecting the drive then burn a new Iso. I find that USB installs work better than disk.

If it still fails with new media then it's definitely the drive.
---
Sig.
#6kickthegnome(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 10:30:22 PM
It got stuck on both a windows 8 disk (that I know works) and a windows 7 disk I just burned.

I'll try USB though. The cables are plugged and secure I've double checked that multiple times. I just wasn't sure if I missed anything.

This laptop just got a motherboard repair btw due to a bad gpu.