This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Really close to 100,000 for petition to FCC

#21daemon_danPosted 4/29/2014 6:01:55 PM
Orestes417 posted...
The problem with net neutrality discussions is that almost none of them are based around a practical technical discussion of what the consequences of keeping/dropping it are nor is anyone actually discussing practical paths forward. In an ideal world, net neutrality would've been dead long ago, ISPs would be allowed to prioritize traffic, AND there would be regulations in place assuring that consumers still have a reliable baseline level of performance guaranteed to them. Instead we have empty rhetoric about killing the interwebs while the ISPs get away with murder regardless.

Holy **** the most logical thing I've heard all day
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#22CELTEKKPosted 4/29/2014 6:31:38 PM
net neutrality is a complicated issue... one which I will actively avoid discussing on an online message board.

it's a topic for debate.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#23Abiz_Posted 4/29/2014 6:49:05 PM(edited)
Net Neutrality is needed. A lot of people are basing at least part of there living off of the internet now a days. Letting the internet companies control other peoples living is bs. FCC needs to label these companies type 2 telecommunication companies then they can force net neutrality, but surprise they won't.... Data companies my ass.

One thing I don't get is this double dipping bs. I pay for a estimated speed from TWC of 25 mbps. As long as they are in that ball park. It's gravy. TWC will go to X site pay for the fast lane or people will have a slow connection to you... Anyone see the problem there? Wouldn't that be a anti-trust lawsuit? As long as I don't go over data cap(does twc have data cap?) what right do they have to intentional deny me the speed I'm paying for.

---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#24MrDietSodaPosted 4/29/2014 6:52:30 PM
ComradeRyan posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission
The American people will lose on every issue when money is involved in the electoral process. There is a reason why Congress has an approval rating of nine percent. It was nice knowing net neutrality in America.

You want money out of politics? Get the First Amendment repealed. Any law banning campaign contributions would be ruled unconstitutional otherwise.

Not seriously advocating repealing the First Amendment, by the way. Just informing you of how utterly doomed to failure your little crusade is.
---
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
#25gunner967Posted 4/29/2014 7:15:38 PM
It's not gonna do much but I signed anyway.
---
Xbox Live- A Killing Pie ~~~ PSN- A_Killing_Pie
"I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!"
#26OMGWYATTPosted 4/29/2014 7:42:33 PM
daemon_dan posted...
So you people think that the people that own the bandwidth you're using should have no say in what goes across their bandwidth? Ya'll are dumb.

not if they are "selling" it to you. If I buy a car I can drive wherever I want. Dealership isn't telling me where to go.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#27DarthVashtiPosted 4/29/2014 8:22:25 PM
daemon_dan posted...
So you people think that the people that own the bandwidth you're using should have no say in what goes across their bandwidth? Ya'll are dumb.

I pay them quite a bit of money per month for my slightly above average internet speed. As long as I am not doing anything illegal with the bandwidth I pay for then they should have no say it what I use MY bandwidth for. I expect the same speed at every web page I go to. I expect the speed I paid for even if all I do is watch stuff on Netfilx all day. Simple as that.
#28WyzeGyePosted 4/29/2014 8:25:07 PM
DarthVashti posted...
daemon_dan posted...

I pay them quite a bit of money per month for my slightly above average internet speed. As long as I am not doing anything illegal with the bandwidth I pay for then they should have no say it what I use MY bandwidth for. I expect the same speed at every web page I go to. I expect the speed I paid for even if all I do is watch stuff on Netfilx all day. Simple as that.

you can have that.

but only 100gb a month.
---
http://puu.sh/8hi9W/9082c43c30.png
#29darkstar4221Posted 4/29/2014 9:08:24 PM(edited)
Stephan Kinsella is against Net Neutrality.

http://archive.mises.org/15068/against-net-neutrality/

It is true that some corporations probably have extra-market power to control aspects of the Internet, as the result of state interventions such as IP, FCC licensing, antitrust law, big business favoritism, and so on. But the solution is not to grant the state even more power to regulate private companies.This is the criminal gang that has fouled things up in the first place. Another recent example of federal Chutzpah is the Obama administration’s proposal to provide a “Web Privacy ‘Bill of Rights’“–how obscene. The mob that is the greatest threat to online privacy freedom, and rights will protect us? I’m reminded of the phrase, “We’re from the government. And we’re here to help.” Thanks, but no thanks, guys.

Likewise, net neutrality is an attempt by the state to see more power to control private property rights as an ostensible response to various “market failures” that are really themselves caused by state intervention. In this, it is anohter example of the state’s creating a crisis and using this as a justification to seize more power under the pretense of saving the people from the crisis that it caused. (See Robert Higgs, Crisis & Leviathan.)

Although I'm not a libertarian Kinsella makes a good point, his case is to get rid of all government regulations on the internet such as copyright and the FCC.
#30ComradeRyanPosted 4/29/2014 9:12:37 PM
MrDietSoda posted...
ComradeRyan posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission
The American people will lose on every issue when money is involved in the electoral process. There is a reason why Congress has an approval rating of nine percent. It was nice knowing net neutrality in America.

You want money out of politics? Get the First Amendment repealed. Any law banning campaign contributions would be ruled unconstitutional otherwise.

Not seriously advocating repealing the First Amendment, by the way. Just informing you of how utterly doomed to failure your little crusade is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_to_propose_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Who needs the first amendment when you can create a new amendment? The 21st amendment repealed the 18th amendment.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com