This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Used games hurt devs" What does Steam sales do?

#11arleasPosted 4/30/2014 2:57:01 AM
Jonny2284 posted...
Only thing I've read about it recently was some indie dev crying that people weren't buying his game because of a culture of ignoring the game until sales were on.

Then I looked up his game and thought "Sure mate, that's it"

Was that the guy who made "Democracy 3"? Because I bought that game after it finally went on sale (he was claiming he was never going to put it on sale though). It's boring as f***.

:I Of course it's my own fault for actually buying it. There's a boring as f*** demo of Democracy 2 and I could have seen for myself first hand it was a waste of money...

But yeah, he was whining about steam sales as if it was a bad thing.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#12Hi CPosted 4/30/2014 3:37:21 AM
AnatomyHorror posted...
Used games do hurt because Devs don't make ANY money off it. Atleast with steam sales, they might not get much, but it's better than nothing.

You can't ban selling used things. The gaming industry has to coexist with it just like everyone else. Plus in order for each used sale to happen a full retail sale has to happen. It isn't like EVERYONE is just going to sit around and buy used, the publisher still makes a ton of money. The dev make whatever they are contracted to make.
#13Bellum_SacrumPosted 4/30/2014 3:57:55 AM
Jonny2284 posted...
Only thing I've read about it recently was some indie dev crying that people weren't buying his game because of a culture of ignoring the game until sales were on.

Cool fantasy story bro. I implore you to source that, but you won't when you realize what a huge mistake you've made.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#14Bellum_SacrumPosted 4/30/2014 4:08:33 AM
According to at least one developer, sales is something that the publishers "opt-in". It has nothing to do with Steam itself.

So, if they're losing money it's their fault.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#15FenriswolfPosted 4/30/2014 4:20:09 AM
Steam sales devalue games. When I spent $60 on a boxed PC game back in the day, I did research, respected my purchase and played the hell of it. When you're casually spending less than $5 on impulse purchases and leave them in your back catalog, not only you're disrespecting yourself, you're also treating PC developers like beggars. At least before Steam PC gaming actually had exclusives.
---
Hello
#16drinkPosted 4/30/2014 4:26:54 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Jonny2284 posted...

Cool fantasy story bro. I implore you to source that, but you won't when you realize what a huge mistake you've made.

I think you misunderstood this post.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#17Davel23Posted 4/30/2014 4:31:26 AM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-08-19-introversion-steam-sale-saved-our-company
---
Your mom's box.
#18Majoras_pantsPosted 4/30/2014 4:31:44 AM
No.

Steam sales get MORE money for publishers, because a ton of people wouldn't be buying those games if they were full price.

Used games give NO money to publishers. It's as bad as pirating, plus it supports places like gamespot that build a business on screwing publishers, so in some ways it's worse than pirating.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#19phy2jshPosted 4/30/2014 4:36:37 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
According to at least one developer, sales is something that the publishers "opt-in". It has nothing to do with Steam itself.

So, if they're losing money it's their fault.

This surely. Publishers must have to give permission for their game to go on sale?

Anyway, looking at the bigger picture, Steam sales must attract loads of new PC gamers, so their overall impact must be positive, in my view.
#20snesmaster40Posted 4/30/2014 4:37:50 AM
Davel23 posted...
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-08-19-introversion-steam-sale-saved-our-company

Was just about to post this. Really nice story that tells of the horrors of how a console port almost killed a company and then they got saved by Steam.
---
Are we not men?