This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Used games hurt devs" What does Steam sales do?

#61calcyclePosted 5/1/2014 12:15:02 AM
I'm not making a comparison of a $60 retail game to a $14 digital game, because that is plain silly. By the time a AAA game goes on sale like that digitally even a retail game would have been reduced in price. It is much more common and likely to see a sale closer to my comparison of $60 to $30 than yours. If we truly need to compare a $14 digital game then enough time should have passed that at retail it should have dropped to $40-30 regularly. This makes the $14 sale price plausible as Steam has done 66% off sales in the past.

While there may still be middleman costs in digital, it is a lot less than retail. A comparison can be made of this with retail taking a ~50% cut while digital is smaller at around 20-25%. It's obvious you can see why devs and pubs prefer digital, and some do take advantage of it by keeping retail prices on digital copies. This is why the PC market can compete so well economically with consoles in the past as well as now even though there may not be as big an audience for your product.

(I combined Devs+Pubs together for some reason while explaining my point)
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#62DoomkillaPosted 5/1/2014 1:16:11 AM
Depends on what you think the game you bought is worth. Really up to you. Whether or not they get any money at all isn't important. Just do what you want.
---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#63The cranky hermitPosted 5/1/2014 12:52:58 PM
I'm not making a comparison of a $60 retail game to a $14 digital game,

Then you aren't refuting my argument and had no business responding to it. I *am* making a comparison of a $60 retail game to a $10 digital sale, or rather I am responding to someone else who made that initial comparison.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#64Pal 080Posted 5/1/2014 12:57:36 PM(edited)
Developers usually see the used games market as an opportunity for someone to pick up a game for cheap that they otherwise may not have bought, thereby gaining a potential new fan for any future projects they work on.

It's the publishers who constantly claim used sales are some terrible thing, because all they care about is short term profit, nothing more. They look as a used game as a direct loss of one new copy being sold, which is just entirely out of touch with the consumer.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#65TheWayOfTheGunPosted 5/1/2014 3:11:05 PM
I don't think the Devs get too hurt since I imagine they get paid upfront regardless of the sales.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#66SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/1/2014 3:18:59 PM(edited)
It's stupid of the publishers to point the blame at GS. They encourage people to trade in used games for pre-orders, which generates sales for game companies, especially for niche titles, which most retailers don't even stock.

If course, that's probably why you never hear complaints from smaller companies.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#67SolidManifestPosted 5/1/2014 4:25:40 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Curious to know if devs are hurt by PC sales for their games on Steam.

Does it have the same effect since the developer is getting barely any money off the original price of the title?

By the way, i'm not against preowned games or steam sales.

Pretty simple. Used games net $0 for devs/publishers. Steam sales gets &
---
Buddha says He who is in Continuous Hell never dies. Longevity is a big hardship in Continuous Hell
#68calcyclePosted 5/1/2014 4:35:33 PM
The cranky hermit posted...

Then you aren't refuting my argument and had no business responding to it. I *am* making a comparison of a $60 retail game to a $10 digital sale, or rather I am responding to someone else who made that initial comparison.

I'd like you to give me a real life case of this happening. Even with Steam sales and the like Games just don't go on sale ~83% off when their default price is still $60. Normally the default price has reduced before this happening.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#69xanthan1Posted 5/1/2014 4:35:55 PM
Pal 080 posted...
Developers usually see the used games market as an opportunity for someone to pick up a game for cheap that they otherwise may not have bought, thereby gaining a potential new fan for any future projects they work on.

It's the publishers who constantly claim used sales are some terrible thing, because all they care about is short term profit, nothing more. They look as a used game as a direct loss of one new copy being sold, which is just entirely out of touch with the consumer.

But wouldn't Steam Sales accomplish the same thing while still bringing in money? And not rely on people selling the game back to have any used copies?
#70SilentHawk29Posted 5/1/2014 4:42:21 PM
The cranky hermit posted...

You're assuming there was only two sales for the physical copy, one at 100% the price, and the other used. You're also suggesting that the digital game on sale only sold one copy. What happens when two people buy the digital game? Or how about six ($60 vs. $60)?
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg