This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help please... just upgraded my computer, getting 0xc000007b errors everywhere.

#1Distant_RainbowPosted 4/30/2014 8:00:50 AM
With the recent announcements from Microsoft that they're now shutting down support for Windows XP, I decided that it might be time to move on, so after talking with my family, went and got this big beast of a new computer.

And now, when I'm trying to play my games(which had no trouble at all on XP, except being a bit slower than I'd want) on the new computer just to see if everything's in order, all I get is this 0xc000007b error that prevents the game from even loading in the first place.

I've been trying a lot of stuff that's been suggested as a remedy for this problem, but nothing seems to work.

...This sucks.

What with my printer not being compatible with Windows 7 either, I'm seriously considering aborting the whole thing and reverting back to good old Win XP, where everything at least had the decency to actually work, albeit a bit slowly.

But I hope I won't have to resort to that. So... help please? How do you fix this issue?

PS.
It's a Windows 7 64-bit. Seems like the 64-bit part is relevant to the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it.

PPS.
Affected games: All 3 Mass Effect games, Dragon Age 2.

For some reason though, Dragon Age: Origins, Spore, and Portal 2 are not affected and still playable.
---
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/67479265
#2OUberLordPosted 4/30/2014 8:08:48 AM
Is that error part of a blue screen error, or something else? All of those games should run fine in Win7 64bit.
#3Distant_Rainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 8:19:03 AM
OUberLord posted...
Is that error part of a blue screen error, or something else? All of those games should run fine in Win7 64bit.

No, it isn't a blue screen error. When I try to open the program, a message box that simply says '"Error - cannot start application(0xc000007b). Click OK to close application." appears, and of course, clicking OK just kicks me out of the program.

I really have no idea why this is happening.
---
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
#4Orestes417Posted 4/30/2014 8:20:42 AM
You didn't just copy the old programs over right? Or upgrade Windows for that matter? A lot of things need to be reinstalled after going from 32-bit OSes to 64-bit.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#5wizardmonPosted 4/30/2014 8:24:23 AM(edited)
All these games are freshly completely re-installed and your not trying to launch them from a older hard drive that the programs where installed on back when you ran XP right?

I was lag ninja'd because my phones 3G sucks ._.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6Distant_Rainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 8:24:00 AM
Orestes417 posted...
You didn't just copy the old programs over right? Or upgrade Windows for that matter? A lot of things need to be reinstalled after going from 32-bit OSes to 64-bit.

Yes, and no.

The Mass Effects were copied over, so I might be at blame for that. However, DA2 was a clean re-install, yet it's suffering the very same problem as the MEs. So, I'm thinking something else is the matter.

In contrast, DA: O, Spore and Portal were simply copied over and work just fine.
---
#7DarkZV2BetaPosted 4/30/2014 8:32:03 AM
Update your drivers, update directX, update OpenAL, update PhysX, update whatever other redists your games might need to run correctly.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#8Distant_Rainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 8:37:56 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Update your drivers, update directX, update OpenAL, update PhysX, update whatever other redists your games might need to run correctly.

Drivers, check.
DirectX, check. I even went and installed DirectX 9.0 because I heard that the default 11.0 on Win 7 might not be compatible with some games, and they recommended doing so.
Redists, check. Well, the installer pointed out that I have the newest version and refused to proceed, so I count this as a check.

...What's OpenAL and PhysX? I'm not that well-versed in these things.
---
#9OUberLordPosted 4/30/2014 10:08:09 AM
It would probably be easier just to rerun the installers for the games that aren't working, since it's a bit hard to know for sure what all it might need installed / updated.
#10Distant_Rainbow(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 10:48:09 AM
Not exactly sure what OpenAL and PhysX are, but I attempted installing those anyway.

Still no dice after installations are complete. Blargh.

OUberLord posted...
It would probably be easier just to rerun the installers for the games that aren't working, since it's a bit hard to know for sure what all it might need installed / updated.

Well... OK then. Though with DA2 not working even when I freshly re-installed it, I don't think matters will improve. But I'll try nonetheless.

Will be back later.
---