This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ALL MacBook Airs are now $100 cheaper.

#31Orestes417Posted 4/30/2014 11:10:29 PM
Dorami posted...
I would say the $1000 13" is a better deal than the $900. For the $900 model, I prefer the Bestbuy exclusive Yoga 11s instead: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive/1835037.p Though that is admittedly under the assumption that I do not care about graphic capabilities on such a laptop.

Quoted for being a fairly rare example of posting a legitimately comparable system in a Mac topic. +1 internets to you.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#32TheAnthraxBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2014 6:44:37 AM(edited)
Dorami posted...
I would say the $1000 13" is a better deal than the $900. For the $900 model, I prefer the Bestbuy exclusive Yoga 11s instead: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive/1835037.p Though that is admittedly under the assumption that I do not care about graphic capabilities on such a laptop.

That's a nice one, but a tad under powered. Though I don't think people use their MBAs for anything crazy anyway. Lonovo is a great company and they're probably the closest competitor to Apple's line of laptops. They're even supposed to have a better reputation for reliability. They're probably my favorite PC brand.
---
The best you can is good enough.
#33halomonkey1_3_5Posted 5/1/2014 7:03:14 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
SampsonM posted...
The "Macs are overpriced" meme isn't true and hasn't been true for a couple of years now.

*citation needed*

if you build them part-for-part they've been pretty close(well within the expected markup of a prebuilt) for years

the problem is that Macs rarely have the best price/performance parts in the first place(although the same can be said of TONS of windows machines, especially laptops). But if you match them part-for-part(or the nearest equivalent) they're not a bad deal.

If you simply look for the best bang-for-the-buck parts, then a Mac is not for you in the first place
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#34SampsonMPosted 5/1/2014 10:21:53 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
SampsonM posted...
The "Macs are overpriced" meme isn't true and hasn't been true for a couple of years now.

*citation needed*

Show me a Windows ultrabook that's as good as a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro and costs less.

You won't find one.

The closet thing is a Toshiba Kirabook or a Dell XPS and they cost roughly the same.

Mac desktops are a ripoff, and they simply don't offer a laptop in the $400-800 (the sweet spot for Windows PCs). But as a high-end ultrabook, Macs are the best in-class.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#35TheAnthraxBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2014 6:45:52 PM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
Mac desktops are a ripoff

Sort of? I think it would make more sense to say all-in-ones are ripoffs. Though that doesn't make very much sense either. When you buy a regular desktop, you just get the desktop. You also have to factor in the screen, the wireless mouse and keyboard, the webcam and the speakers. The iMacs also come with an SSD alongside the 1TB HDD and an office suite. Assuming you purchased a nice set of gear for your desktop instead of going with the cheapest everything, there should still be an extra $100-$300 on the iMac depending on the desktop you chose to compare it to. To some people, having a pretty space-saving setup that only uses one cord is worth the extra dough.
---
The best you can is good enough.
#36Garage_ManPosted 5/1/2014 8:15:55 PM
TheAnthraxBunny posted...
SampsonM posted...

Sort of? I think it would make more sense to say all-in-ones are ripoffs. Though that doesn't make very much sense either. When you buy a regular desktop, you just get the desktop. You also have to factor in the screen, the wireless mouse and keyboard, the webcam and the speakers. The iMacs also come with an SSD alongside the 1TB HDD and an office suite. Assuming you purchased a nice set of gear for your desktop instead of going with the cheapest everything, there should still be an extra $100-$300 on the iMac depending on the desktop you chose to compare it to. To some people, having a pretty space-saving setup that only uses one cord is worth the extra dough.

NONSENSE. You want Lenovo and other brands. Apple is the worst.

Honestly I am not going to lie, I thought like that. Then I approached their products with a open mind. Hard to go back after you do that.

I bought my brother a iTouch and he loves it. To be honest it feels great in your hands. He had a problem with the center button and it was shipped out and back to the door in 3 entire days for free. Year and a half later and the thing looks BRAND NEW.

I really wanna get a iPad Mini retina. I didn't realize just how trashy the n7 tablet was until I got my hands on it..It really is a work of art in terms of everything.

They really do make good products, you just pay for it. It is also a closed world which not everyone loves.
#37SampsonMPosted 5/1/2014 11:35:51 PM
TheAnthraxBunny posted...
SampsonM posted...

You're right in that all-in-ones are a ripoff, and thus the iMac is a ripoff. I find it absurd to think there's anyone that wouldn't have space for a micro tower. If space is that much of a problem, why are you buying a desktop in the first place?

The Mac mini and Mac pro, which are not all in ones, are also overpriced. The pro to an insane degree.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#38GTRagnarokPosted 5/2/2014 12:34:37 AM
IMO, the MBA is great for someone who already has a main computer they use and just need a laptop with good battery life. But for someone like me whose laptop is the main computer, I wouldn't even consider the MBA until it gets a higher resolution display. It's like building a nice PC and then getting a cheap, low res monitor.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. Wow.
#39DRAGON07891230Posted 5/2/2014 6:47:54 AM
Dorami posted...

That link is broken and even taking the .p off the end didn't help.
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser
#40DoramiPosted 5/2/2014 6:50:08 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-silver-gray/1835037.p?id=1219065985762&skuId=1835037
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 2 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo