The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some AAA games that are actually good?

#1imasexywomanPosted 4/30/2014 10:56:04 AM
Minimal cutscenes, focus on gameplay. Story is fine as long as it's told in a creative way.

Valve is technically independent, but they're an example of what I want out of AAA gaming. Half-Life 2 and Portal 1/2 know how to tell a story that doesn't obstruct the fact you're PLAYING A GAME. It's a cliche to use Valve as a reference point, I know, but it's a cliche for a reason.

I get the feeling I'm going to see a lot of Dark Souls recommendations, so to start off: yes I know that game exists.

An example of what I don't like is Dishonored. I enjoyed the gameplay but I feel even this game's story was a little too heavy. I don't know how to explain that because in truth there weren't very many cutscenes or anything, but it did feel that way.
---
It is the end times for console gaming. All hail PC and 3DS.
#2SpazH3dPosted 4/30/2014 11:19:04 AM(edited)
Gimme a definition of AAA first, please. Is it a high budget, quality or hype level?

I think it's idiotic to even put games in these "boxes". Just enjoy your games and stop the game RACISM.

Perhaps: X-Com, Fallout New Vegas and Brutal Legend.
---
- My vision is augmented
#3maybecallsPosted 4/30/2014 11:17:38 AM
Mount and Blade Warband. No cutscenes in that.
#4TropicMoon10Posted 4/30/2014 11:20:56 AM
The Arkham Games are pretty awesome. It has a good deal of cutscenes but they're far enough apart that they don't feel like they're interrupting gameplay. Not to mention the voice acting is fantastically done.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5pothocketPosted 4/30/2014 11:44:33 AM
I'm going to recommend Dishonored anyways. Are you trying to play it a specific certain way? Well don't. Play through it making choices on the fly, every encounter a choice between fight-and-flight, lethal / non-lethal, engage or avoid.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#6PhilOnDezPosted 4/30/2014 11:45:09 AM
Dead Space 2 is pretty great. It starts off with a 5 minute cutscene (one that you will come to absolutely abhor if you go for a Hardcore run) but after that they're fairly minimal. There are some scripted QTEs plus whenever you get grappled there's a QTE to break free (they all just consist of mashing E or A to break free, nothing you'll ever fail if you're paying attention). Most of the exposition happens In Character if that makes sense. It's very rare to for you to not have control of your character, even when you're in your inventory menu you can move and fight, it's projected in front of Isaac, same with most of the 'cutscenes', somebody will call him and he basically facetimes with them while you do your thing. That's not true in the shop menu but you can still be attacked.

To add to the QTE thing, there are some that you might fail, but they aren't 'mash buttons to accomplish task!' Sometimes you get grabbed by a tentacle or nearly thrown out of an airlock, things like that, and you have to shoot your way out and if you don't have any ammo you're given enough to finish (I remember one specific event, if you're out of ammo you can still reload but you only get half of the default clip size).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#7SinisterSlayPosted 4/30/2014 11:48:48 AM
maybecalls posted...

Wedding scene.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8AsucaHayashiPosted 4/30/2014 12:02:05 PM
DS games aren't AAA since they're made with a really low budget compared to s*** like gears or whatever.

some AAA games that fall just beside what you've come to expect from typical AAA games with mindless/handholding gameplay , cutscene or corridoor sections every 5-10 minutes etc.:

arkham games
tomb raider(doesn't suffer from funnel syndrome as much as uncharted)
bioshock infinite(compared to the typical modern military shooter at least)
witcher 2
borderlands 2
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#9maybecallsPosted 4/30/2014 12:05:27 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
maybecalls posted...

Wedding scene.

Ooh, is that right? I've never actually gotten married in it. 964 hours played so far........
#10SinisterSlayPosted 4/30/2014 12:07:21 PM
maybecalls posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
maybecalls posted...

Wedding scene.

Ooh, is that right? I've never actually gotten married in it. 964 hours played so far........

You should, its an easy way to advance quickly. Especially as female.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence