This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you go about making passwords?

#31Arucard05Posted 4/30/2014 11:30:25 PM
Greendragon854 posted...
Using the xkcd method (4 words, though mine aren't even random. I don't use caps or special characters, I just use words that make some sort of sense, as it's easier for me to remember and a hacker is NOT going to guess 4 words with spaces. Nor is a computer.)

For instance, the password "kitty cats and rainbows" would take (according to howsecureismypassword.net) would take 837 quintillion years. Along a similar vein, "orange juice and kittens" would take over 37 SEXTILLION years for a desktop to brute force.

I don't get why people use (or sites force you to use) special characters and caps to make a password. Yeah, it may trip up a human putting in passwords, but that is not how passwords are hacked. P@sSw0rd!1 is the exact same to a computer as "password" and so much harder to remember than actual words.

peanut butter egg dirt

It would take a desktop PC about 18 quintillion years to crack your password

Well damn. And you waited until now to tell me this, Greendragon? Here I am, punching in convoluted runes like a goddamn caveman.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/
B<3R I'm a model, you know what I mean.
#32Greendragon854Posted 4/30/2014 11:44:01 PM
Arucard05 posted...
Greendragon854 posted...
Using the xkcd method (4 words, though mine aren't even random. I don't use caps or special characters, I just use words that make some sort of sense, as it's easier for me to remember and a hacker is NOT going to guess 4 words with spaces. Nor is a computer.)

For instance, the password "kitty cats and rainbows" would take (according to howsecureismypassword.net) would take 837 quintillion years. Along a similar vein, "orange juice and kittens" would take over 37 SEXTILLION years for a desktop to brute force.

I don't get why people use (or sites force you to use) special characters and caps to make a password. Yeah, it may trip up a human putting in passwords, but that is not how passwords are hacked. P@sSw0rd!1 is the exact same to a computer as "password" and so much harder to remember than actual words.

peanut butter egg dirt

It would take a desktop PC about 18 quintillion years to crack your password

Well damn. And you waited until now to tell me this, Greendragon? Here I am, punching in convoluted runes like a goddamn caveman.

And from this moment on, you're never, ever going to forget that password :P Just use a different one for each site (peanut butter egg dirt for facebook, peanut butter egg balloon for gmail, peanut butter egg jellyfish for twitter, etc) Chances are, even if one of those passwords gets discovered because a database leak or such, if it isn't the exact same password for all sites, it's still going to take them years and years to crack.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#33Greendragon854Posted 4/30/2014 11:47:22 PM
also, I think this site may be a bit better to estimate your password strength (it takes entropy into account)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/209/zxcvbn/test/index.html

Really awesome look behind the programming/math of this here:

https://tech.dropbox.com/2012/04/zxcvbn-realistic-password-strength-estimation/
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#34jakisthePosted 5/1/2014 1:23:37 AM(edited)
I was always under the impression that most cracking software/methods have a built-in heuristic detector which identifies words? So stuff like "peanut butter egg dirt" would get picked up almost instantly, no?

I mean, obviously, I have little/no programming knowledge, but that's what I remember being told at some point.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#35Chaos_MissilePosted 5/1/2014 1:50:13 AM(edited)
My passwords are words you cant find in the English dictionary....

Merge them, add a few caps and number and wah la, you get one impossible password.

Proof:
superstud69x posted...
(https://howsecureismypassword.net/)

My laptop password:-
Your password only contains letters. Adding numbers and symbols can make your password more secure.
Length: 12 characters
Character Combinations: 52
Calculations Per Second: 4 billion
Possible Combinations: 390 quintillion

It would take a desktop PC about 3 thousand years to crack your password

The EXACT same password + 2 numbers for my desktop:-
Your password looks like it might just be a word and a few digits. This is a very common pattern and would be cracked very quickly.
Length: 14 characters
Character Combinations: 62
Possible Combinations: 12 septillion

It would take a desktop PC about 98 million years to crack your password

Think my PC passwords are pretty secure.

How bout a password I use pretty commonly?
Length: 11 characters
Character Combinations: 67
Possible Combinations: 122 quintillion

It would take a desktop PC about 967 years to crack your password

Welp, that's disappointing. It's even a name

---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#36Ch3wyPosted 5/1/2014 5:25:28 AM
arleas posted...
drink posted...
I have a 4 tier password system. The higher tier password is used for anything involving money. The lower tier is for throw away websites that I'll only visit once.

If you only visit once, then does it really matter what you chose? bang your fist on the keyboard and use that.

I try to make a memorable password that is as convoluted and difficult as possible. I kinda wanted to try the xkcd password method.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png

I can never figure out a good one that I would remember that I think would be tough to crack.

The problem with the xkcd method is that it's well known enough method that dictionary/brute force combo attacks have been made to crack passwords just like it.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#37PhilOnDezPosted 5/1/2014 5:42:23 AM
I come up with a phrase that means something to me then convert it to leetspeak. An example would be for a persona fan site I'd probably use Persona4Golden as a base then change it to Pr$0n@4601den. So a combination of 2 and 3 I guess.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#38ThatOneGuysHairPosted 5/1/2014 5:57:35 AM
one day I came up with "w@12k001" as an IRC password and it kind of mutated from there: common words or phrases/quotes with a standardized leetspeak.

I also "salt" or add padding in my passwords, ie:(*w@12k001*), and for things I really want to secure, I combine my best passwords into one long password-phrase

for stuff I dont really care about I use a handful of words like "oranges" "hunter2" "pizzahut" etc

honestly, nobody should talk publicly about how they form passwords, but I really don't care what happens to most of my stuff... so, eh, pro-tips if you want to access my awesome gamefaqs account, I guess
#39NemerlightPosted 5/1/2014 5:58:23 AM
I use same passwords with few different letters but then it comes to amazon and such i try something more complicated.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#40SpazH3dPosted 5/1/2014 6:16:43 AM
ThatOneGuysHair posted...
one day I came up with "w@12k001" as an IRC password and it kind of mutated from there: common words or phrases/quotes with a standardized leetspeak.

I also "salt" or add padding in my passwords, ie:(*w@12k001*), and for things I really want to secure, I combine my best passwords into one long password-phrase

for stuff I dont really care about I use a handful of words like "oranges" "hunter2" "pizzahut" etc

honestly, nobody should talk publicly about how they form passwords, but I really don't care what happens to most of my stuff... so, eh, pro-tips if you want to access my awesome gamefaqs account, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9Lm9f0WVg
---
- My vision is augmented