This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

know what i like best about gaming on a pc

#1tiamat999Posted 5/1/2014 8:18:41 AM
That all my favorite games like marvel ultimate alliance, phantasy star online, and borderlands will always somehow still work 5-10 years from now where as consoles are starting to phase out backwards compatibility
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, godannar,Attack on titan,young justice,ragnarok, X-men evolution
#2pothocketPosted 5/1/2014 8:26:24 AM(edited)
Maybe you aren't aware but older PC games don't run on modern machines unless you're using emulators like DOS-Box or ScummVM. Also, consoles have been phasing out BC for some time now. It's not anything new.
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#3kingjosh1876Posted 5/1/2014 8:24:59 AM
It's a shame because I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a PS4 and it being a little larger(if that would be the case?), if it meant having full backward compatibility. I'm sure others feel the same too.
#4calcyclePosted 5/1/2014 8:31:10 AM
pothocket posted...
Maybe you aren't aware but older PC games don't run on modern machines unless you're using emulators like DOS-Box or ScummVM. Also, consoles have been phasing out BC for some time now. It's not anything new.

It's a lot better to use an emulator with the same hardware than it is to have to take out an old system just to play your favorite games again.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#5maybecallsPosted 5/1/2014 8:39:40 AM
calcycle posted...
pothocket posted...

It's a lot better to use an emulator with the same hardware than it is to have to take out an old system just to play your favorite games again.

Amen to that. Especially when the original hardware took about five minutes to load a game into memory from a cassette.
#6A_Soggy_RatPosted 5/1/2014 9:01:59 AM
maybecalls posted...
calcycle posted...
pothocket posted...

Amen to that. Especially when the original hardware took about five minutes to load a game into memory from a cassette.

Not forgetting the noise that sounds like you just picked up the phone while someone on the same line is using dialup internet.
---
Proud to be a farm animal until someone tells me otherwise.
#7JKatarnPosted 5/1/2014 9:12:23 AM(edited)
tiamat999 posted...
That all my favorite games like marvel ultimate alliance, phantasy star online, and borderlands will always somehow still work 5-10 years from now where as consoles are starting to phase out backwards compatibility

*Implying that everyone automatically tosses out their working last-generation console the second they buy the latest and greatest*

Also, who knows what changes Microsoft will make to the kernel/Dx etc. in 5-10 years, it's entirely possible we will end up with a situation where due to fundamental changes in the OS you will have to mess with a VM to play your old games if you're even able to at all. I can think of a few older Windows 95/98 games that won't run on modern OSs due to using 16-bit installers/executables and having the odd graphical glitch due to employing DirectX 1.0/2,0+
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#8Combo MasterPosted 5/1/2014 10:06:14 AM
JKatarn posted...
*Implying that everyone automatically tosses out their working last-generation console the second they buy the latest and greatest*

Also, who knows what changes Microsoft will make to the kernel/Dx etc. in 5-10 years, it's entirely possible we will end up with a situation where due to fundamental changes in the OS you will have to mess with a VM to play your old games if you're even able to at all. I can think of a few older Windows 95/98 games that won't run on modern OSs due to using 16-bit installers/executables and having the odd graphical glitch due to employing DirectX 1.0/2,0+

Why would you have to mess with a VM you would just have to dual boot windows.Wouldn't be that hard for somebody who would care enough if you really couldn't play all the games from the past 15 years or so on the next version of windows. I highly doubt that would happen though.
---
Combo Master
#9SteamsterPosted 5/1/2014 10:19:15 AM
JKatarn posted...

I keep all my old consoles.

The problem is I don't want to have four different consoles hooked up to my TV just to play any Playstation game I want.

And I don't want to plug them in only when I want to play something old. Spontaneity happens and inconveniences are inconveniences.
#10BogePosted 5/1/2014 10:23:57 AM
Yeah, I'm frustrated that this generation consoles have decided not to do backward compatibility. I understand why, but it just sucks if I ever want to play one of my old PS2 games or whatever. I have to dig out the old dusty console and hope it still works.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png