This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want a gaming PC

#11C810Posted 5/2/2014 5:19:18 PM
mrtywer posted...
LordTrinen posted...
My TV is a Toshiba. The model number is 32C110U1. There are two HDMI ports in the back, both occupied by my PS4 and Wii U currently, as well as a PC port. Does that help?

A friend of mine told me that when looking at video/graphics cards I should focus on NVIDIA or ATI. Fortunately the pre-built PCs I've seen all had that.

I'm torn between getting a pre-built or a custom built PC. My friend said a pre-built is better because I can get a warranty and everything. I went to a Best Buy last weekend and the cheapest option they had for a gaming PC was $800. I'm going to visit a more dedicated computer store this weekend to see what they have.

While a custom built PC sounds cheaper and all I have no doubt I'd screw up in some fashion trying to put it together myself.

I'd prefer to stick to $500 to $600 but if I had to I'd be willing to splurge a bit and go with the $800 one.

DO NOT buy prebuilt. Especially from best buy. They are absolute crap, and your $600 built-yourself comp will demolish a $600 prebuilt.

Seriously, this. Prebuilts are always garbage. Building it yourself will almost always be cheaper. Sometimes you can luck out and building a PC on a website will be cheaper, but that is rare
---
Xbox 360, PS4. Looking to get a PS3, Vita, and Wii U.
Raikkonen will prevail over Alonso.
#12C810Posted 5/2/2014 5:19:49 PM
SleepComa posted...
Also stop listening to your friend. He is an idiot.

Agreed
---
Xbox 360, PS4. Looking to get a PS3, Vita, and Wii U.
Raikkonen will prevail over Alonso.
#13Garage_ManPosted 5/2/2014 5:23:27 PM
Well ordering can take forever. With my builds I redo them and do them again and again and again for a month lol.

After you get the parts from start to finish you are talking a few hours. It is simple. Go on youtube and search for LinusTechTips and he has tutorials on building.

IF you are serious I would look at a i5 processor and NO LESS! I would get NOTHINNNGGGGG from AMDs lineup on processors. That said you can use AMD for graphics. If you really want to mod good you'll need a beefy card.

500 ain't cutting it. You are going to build junk for that kind of money. Buying used is always a possibility but what if something breaks...I would set aside 1K and do something decent. SSD is a MUST if you mod skyrim. You cannot load 2k textures smoothly off of a hard drive without problems.
#14Loserman15Posted 5/2/2014 5:28:26 PM
I'd say 600 minimum for a decent build but 800 dollars would improve it by a quite large margin
#15LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2014 5:44:27 PM
SleepComa posted...

He's a tech guy who really knows computers. I don't know if he does much PC gaming recently but he's the only person I know who could give me solid, knowledgeable advice about computers.

I'm still gathering info.
#16GarudinPosted 5/2/2014 5:44:56 PM
An i5 or better would be a good CPU to start with outside of that in all honestly if this is your first PC I'd recommend going Intel and Nvidia over AMD.

AMD is fine for what they are but for a first PC Intel I'd recommend those two as in my experience the quality is better and more importantly the software support is much better.

As to building your own it is easy but the barrier to entry that no one tells you is knowledge and research, you have to know the parts to pick the right ones and know that there is at least a good chance they will work together without problems.

You can learn but it's not unrealistic or unreasonable to not have the time or desire to learn enough to build your own PC.

As to pre-builts I'd advise not going with Best Buy as even their "gaming" PC are built as good all rounders so you'll likely be paying for stuff you don't want. There are good sites out there that sell pre-builts newegg sells some for example and I believe there is even one that lists the kinds of FPS you can expect on different games from their PCs though the I can't recall the name at the moment.
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea GT: Garudin
#17triple sPosted 5/2/2014 5:49:31 PM
LordTrinen posted...
mrtywer posted...
Putting a computer together is 900% easier than it sounds. Find a 2 hour youtube tutorial, and you are set. Honestly.

It's literally almost impossible to screw up a build yourself, all the parts fit only 1 direction, and as long as you don't force stuff and break it, it basically assembles itself.

I've been wanting to play Skyrim PC for a while now. Lately that desire has gone into overdrive and I am VERY anxious to get a PC. How long does it generally take to gather the pieces and build a PC?

Dude, PC Skyrim(with mods) is seriously one of the best gaming experiences I've had.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#18TeenmanPosted 5/2/2014 6:27:44 PM
LordTrinen posted...
SleepComa posted...

He's a tech guy who really knows computers. I don't know if he does much PC gaming recently but he's the only person I know who could give me solid, knowledgeable advice about computers.

I'm still gathering info.

By "tech guy" I am assuming you mean works in an IT department. I have learned from watching my co-workers over the years, that working in an IT department doesn't mean you understand the gaming side of the spectrum. From the IT side a prebuilt would be better, for the warranty and to limit different forms of hardware you have to support. Overall, point being your friend should have a basic understanding of workstations; he doesn't have to understand gaming machines.

Quite a few of my co-workers believe our old optiplex 780s are capable of running new games. Your friend probably fails into a similar category.
---
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do...." (Stephen F. Roberts)
#19PsythikPosted 5/2/2014 7:30:28 PM
Clouddx posted...
As long as you have an HDTV with HDMI inputs you'll have no worries as far as hooking your comp up to a TV.
It's not that simple. The resolution, graphics card and TV settings need to be just right, otherwise the TV will assume the input is a cable box, blu ray player, etc. and overscan the image, blurring it and cutting off the sides of the picture. You need to make sure that overscan is completely off when hooking a PC up to a TV. Sometimes it's a setting in the menu, other times its detected automatically.

To make sure your TV recognizes the a PC being plugged in, you need to know the TV's native resolution as well as enable Full RGB output in your GPU.

And then there's other problems as well. I once had a TV that had a resolution of 1366x768 but would overscan anyway when I set my PC to that. The only way to get a pixel-perfect image was to use 1360x768, leaving six barely noticeable colums of black pixels on the sides of the screen. Another TV always overscanned no matter what.

tl;dr The easiest way to get a clear picture when using a TV as a monitor without configuring a bunch of stuff is to just use the PC input instead of HDMI.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#20LordTrinen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2014 7:55:54 PM
Psythik posted...

tl;dr The easiest way to get a clear picture when using a TV as a monitor without configuring a bunch of stuff is to just use the PC input instead of HDMI.

That's what I was planning on doing. So the PC input will result in the least hassle?