This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Turtle Rock just fired their community manager over a tweet...

#61DoomerangPosted 5/3/2014 11:03:01 AM(edited)
ShadowThaReaper posted...
I don't understand how you liberals can't grasp just exactly what it is you're advocating with these disgusting witch hunts.

I can only hope that people start getting fired for pro-gay and pro-diversity opinions. Then maybe you'd get some goddamn empathy.

Generalizing people in one political category because of a belief is pretty obnoxious.

Also, it wasn't a witch hunt. When you're a community manager, you're the public face of the company whether you're on or off the clock. He wasn't giving an opinion privately in his own home, where very few people would hear it. He was giving the opinion in a place where EVERYONE would read it.

His freedom of speech wasn't violated, as he can say anything he wants. However, his comments could hurt the image of his company, so it's reasonable that he was punished. Just because you can say what you want publically does not mean you won't face consequences for it.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#62LvthnPosted 5/3/2014 11:21:07 AM(edited)
I don't even need to read this thread to guess that there are at least a dozen responses from loyal corporate lapdogs suffering from Stockholm Syndrome who will defend the actions of any corporation against its own employees, even when they know in their heart that a righteous man was done wrong.

Lengthy, legalistic discussions aren't needed. He was fired for speaking something that is not untrue. Nobody is going to be convinced that this is just.
#63GorillaReformedPosted 5/3/2014 11:17:02 AM
Marking for off-topic posting, this is a PC board, and it's not meant to be used for discussions of television programs. Take it to the TV show board.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#64Dipfoot20Posted 5/3/2014 11:20:49 AM
GorillaReformed posted...
Marking for off-topic posting, this is a PC board, and it's not meant to be used for discussions of television programs. Take it to the TV show board.

Wut?

You're the only one off topic here, bud.
---
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af50/benek00/silvarockstar.gif
#65Orestes417Posted 5/3/2014 11:36:44 AM
ein311 posted...
I get what the guy was saying, but it seems a lot of people forget that Freedom of Speech doesn't mean Freedom from Consequence.

The guy had every right to say what he did, just like Sterling did, but that doesn't mean either should get away with it.

If your job is to be the spokesman for a company, then getting fired when you post something like this should be a no-brainer. You'd have to be a complete idiot to not realize this. :/

Indeed. Even if I half agree with what was said, saying it in any capacity connected to the company is asking for issues. Now if it had been said off the clock in a context not connected to his position... then I'd have serious issues with the firing. By the same token I have serious issues with any company intruding on their employees off the clock time.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#66SneakiestNegPosted 5/3/2014 11:39:36 AM
Sterling has the right to say what he wants. And we all have the right to hate him for it. If you defend the guy get ready to get burned too.
#67Orestes417Posted 5/3/2014 11:45:02 AM(edited)
See here's the thing. It's not that Sterling is a racist and got punished by the NBA for it. That's pretty much a given even if he is entitled to hold his views and I really wish the NBA had gone further. It's that no one seems to be interested in the fact the recording that got the man into trouble was highly illegal in and of itself that's troublesome.

Well, that and the fact his behavior pattern was apparently well known before this and we're just now doing something.

---
#68Killah PriestPosted 5/3/2014 11:56:04 AM
It's that no one seems to be interested in the fact the recording that got the man into trouble was highly illegal in and of itself that's troublesome.

This is not true at all, this was already addressed. It has been talked about frequently, nobody is ignoring this. Sterling knew he was being recorded and the legality of the recording will be questioned.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#69Dr_keithPosted 5/3/2014 12:00:25 PM
ZeroRaider posted...
Absolutely disgusting.

Looks like another studio to add to my s***list of companies to boycott.

I hope they go bankrupt.

Pretty soon you'll only be able to buy game released by the KKK I guess.....
---
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.
#70Orestes417Posted 5/3/2014 12:00:59 PM
I never said people were ignoring it now did i? I said no one was interested, and for the most part no one is. Personally I like Bomani Jones take on the whole thing. Go listen to it if you haven't it puts some things into perspective.
---