This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So Turtle Rock just fired their community manager over a tweet...

#91ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/3/2014 1:18:17 PM
Freedom of speech is more than an amendment. I can't believe that you can't grasp the concept.

The government is irrelevant if you can't speak your mind outside the house without fear of reprisal from a giant hate mob.

Freedom of speech the principle and freedom of speech the constitutional definition are two different things.

One is for government, one is for society and its tolerance.
#92LvthnPosted 5/3/2014 1:38:37 PM
Bossdog421 posted...
ShadowThaReaper posted...
ein311 posted...
it seems a lot of people forget that Freedom of Speech doesn't mean Freedom from Consequence.

Nobody has ever ****ing forgotten this. Stop spouting this **** as if it makes you a moral ****ing person to witch hunt a man for giving his opinion. I hope you lose your job for saying your opinion in the comfort of your own home.

You don't deserve a job.

You don't deserve livelihood.

You don't deserve to eat.

Then come back at me and say this again.

This is why free speech is abused. Just look at him throw a fit and talk down to people. If only the internet could smack people for acting like this...

Yes, if only you could physically abuse those who say things you don't approve of. Truly that would be justice.
#93EpicKingdom_Posted 5/3/2014 1:51:31 PM(edited)
In regards to Sterling, goes to show how powerful the media is. Jumped on this story like gold "OMG, dude says some racist s***". Then came all the self pity black panther members including Obama. Only way out of this situation was to banish him or be engulfed by the media yourself. In addition, this is proven for anyone with OP.

---
http://i.imgur.com/aRtv4fD.png
#94Orestes417Posted 5/3/2014 1:50:50 PM
The NBA punishment was fairly light. They could've outright taken their franchise back but instead they're allowing him to sell. That's essentially a 700 million+ dollar gift. And no they really couldn't have afforded to do less considering pro Baseball set the precedent with Marge Schott
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#95ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/3/2014 1:58:43 PM
Everyone already knew that Sterling was a racist for like 20 years. This has everything to do with the media, and how much they pushed his recorded conversation.

This wasn't even as bad as the things he did previously.
#96noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/3/2014 2:08:53 PM
Nope. They caused their current misery. They drew attention by firing someone. Nobody would have cared.

All the guy did was point out that Sterling has the right to privacy. Which is objectively correct.

Right, but if we're trying to be objective, then he shouldn't have been banned from the NBA, either. If you listen to the tape, he clearly says he loves everyone, even admires Magic Johnson, which is not something racist people say. He didn't drop N-bombs, he didn't say black people shouldn't even be paid minimum wage, it was about him getting complaints from his friends because his girlfriend was being public about her association with black people, and because his social group is racist, he needs his girlfriend to portray herself in a certain way. If you listen to it, you can actually hear how distressed he is by the whole thing. If he was racist, it would've been cut and dry.

"Objective" does not matter when it comes to public opinion. Which is why he got banned, and why the Turtle Rock rep had to be fired. People take their gut response and make that law, instead of listening and trying to understand and be objective. It's that way in everything. It should not be news to you that trying to argue "objective" has no grounds in reality.

Freedom of speech is more than an amendment. I can't believe that you can't grasp the concept.

I grasp it just fine. "Freedom of speech" as an amendment is something that can be enforced because it's something manmade that can be defined, redefined, and is easily controlled. "Freedom of speech" as a concept is left up to the honor system, because it's shapeless and can't be controlled.

The government is irrelevant

The best thing you've posted so far, but I'll continue, because I know the brilliance is out of context and unintentional.

The government is irrelevant if you can't speak your mind outside the house without fear of reprisal from a giant hate mob.

Do you pay attention to life? The whole reason "freedom of speech" can't work even with government enforcement is that government can't be everywhere at once. They attempt to enforce *after* an offense, that doesn't stop offenses from happening because government exists. On paper, the only time you *should* be completely safe from the consequence of what you say is when government is around to protect you, which completely negates the concept of "freedom of speech". If it needs to be protected, it doesn't exist, because then it needs to have its boundaries defined, which negates the concept of "freedom" entirely.

Besides that, the reason this can't work even in the most idealistic sense is that if someone spewed verbal hate non-stop, then eventually all the freedom-of-speech supporters would get so frustrated by him that they'd want him to shut up because of all the trouble he was causing them for defending his rights.

"Freedom of speech" only works in relation to the government, because they can only control it in relation to themselves, and because of that its definition and methods of enforcement can (and have, the biggest changes occurring during the Vietnam war) change according to government will.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
#97noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/3/2014 2:09:34 PM
Freedom of speech the principle and freedom of speech the constitutional definition are two different things.

One is for government, one is for society and its tolerance.

Yep, and I already understood this as such. What you learn from idealist philosophers is not even close to how things play out, due to the way human nature *actually* is.
---
#98SlaynPosted 5/3/2014 2:26:51 PM(edited)
Killah Priest posted...
Who in their right mind would defend Donald Sterling.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Anyway, I think this is getting ridiculous. Anyone remember the Firefox CEO who resigned because YEARS ago he pledged $1000 to Prop 8 in California? For those who don't know, it was an initiative to ban gay marriage. It even won. Someone found out he gave $1000 to the prop and he had to resign.

It is getting to the point where you can't go against what the majority thinks without consequence.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#99noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/3/2014 2:32:39 PM
Slayn posted...
It is getting to the point where you can't go against what the majority thinks without consequence.

You seem to be forgetting that people used to burn people alive for saying things they didn't like. Still do, in some tribes.

People don't change just because we invent laws.
---
#100shamfuruPosted 5/3/2014 2:36:16 PM
Slayn posted...
Killah Priest posted...
Who in their right mind would defend Donald Sterling.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Anyway, I think this is getting ridiculous. Anyone remember the Firefox CEO who resigned because YEARS ago he pledged $1000 to Prop 8 in California? For those who don't know, it was an initiative to ban gay marriage. It even won. Someone found out he gave $1000 to the prop and he had to resign.

---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.