This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why shouldn't we use ad blockers?

#1DomeloPosted 5/3/2014 8:48:47 AM
I have visited many forums and I noticed that most of them warn us not to use any ad blocking software. Is there any specific reason to not use them or they just want their advertising revenue from adsense coming in to them?
#2PokenubPosted 5/3/2014 8:50:06 AM
They just want money, however alot of ads install spyware and are a waste of time, so I adblock everything
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3aak57Posted 5/3/2014 8:51:20 AM(edited)
For sites like these, you can just lol since they have no fear of closing down due to not enough ad revenue (being owned by CBS and all). It really only matters on smaller sites where they'd be hosting out of pocket otherwise. And there are actually a scant few sites round the net that have relevant/useful ads, apparently.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#4Domelo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 8:54:09 AM
Pokenub posted...
They just want money, however alot of ads install spyware and are a waste of time, so I adblock everything

Yes, you're right, but I have heard that a new ad blocker called adguard/adguard.com (something like that) is free from such hazards, but others do track your activities and has links with giant advertisers like google. Is that true?
#5Domelo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 8:55:19 AM
aak57 posted...
For sites like these, you can just lol since they have no fear of closing down due to not enough ad revenue (being owned by CBS and all). It really only matters on smaller sites where they'd be hosting out of pocket otherwise. And there are actually a scant few sites round the net that have relevant/useful ads, apparently.

Maybe you're right, but I don't think Escapist is a small site. Isn't it?
#6SneakiestNegPosted 5/3/2014 8:56:45 AM
Tried internet with ads. Was not amused. Nothing gets through now.
#7SneakiestNegPosted 5/3/2014 9:01:15 AM
Trust me: they track you. They record everything you do on the web. If you use adblock what Google and others do will not affect you in the slightest and you can browse safely. Ever wonder why Google removed adblock from the store? Ever wondered why they want to guilt trip you into allowing ads and cookies?
#8Little_TyraniusPosted 5/3/2014 9:02:22 AM
If there's one site I'm proud to use adblock in, it's gamefaqs.
#9LordSeiferPosted 5/3/2014 9:06:55 AM
If you use adblock what Google and others do will not affect you in the slightest

false. there are other ways of tracking you that do not involve ads, come on now
---
^ this
#10codyorrPosted 5/3/2014 9:10:40 AM
What warnings? I haven't seen this with my adblock software.