This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why shouldn't we use ad blockers?

#31Little_TyraniusPosted 5/3/2014 1:00:42 PM
Actually just read their ToS, you can't curse and victim blame there. Not going there then.
#32LordOfLegaciesPosted 5/3/2014 1:02:07 PM
I'm not going to click on any advertisements anyway so my using Adblock has no effect on a website's revenue whatsoever and I feel no shame for it.
---
MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGGS MY NAME IS RONALD MCDONALD I HAVE SAUSAGE I HAVE EGG
#33WyzeGyePosted 5/3/2014 1:14:01 PM
DerPancake posted...
aak57 posted...
For sites like these, you can just lol since they have no fear of closing down due to not enough ad revenue (being owned by CBS and all). It really only matters on smaller sites where they'd be hosting out of pocket otherwise. And there are actually a scant few sites round the net that have relevant/useful ads, apparently.

Lol if CBS doesnt see profit on this site they will close it down. So pretty much by using adblock you are sending the message that you want gamefaqs or other websites to be shutdown, or for them to add a subscription fee.

I'm okay with that.

The site was fine before they bought it, if they decide to run it into the ground over advertising revenue, it's their loss, and I wont miss it one bit.
---
http://puu.sh/8hi9W/9082c43c30.png
#34Myself9Posted 5/3/2014 1:21:12 PM
I run a sim racing website which includes google ads.
I pay for the web host and equipment out of my own pocket, and spend a HUGE amount of time maintaining the site and doing league admin.

I don't charge anyone a cent to join the leagues, and I simply request that people consider disabling adblock while visiting my site.

I COULD use an adblock detector, which would force people to disable their adblock plugin before they can view anything on the site, but that would be lame.

Considering that I despise advertising, that would be kind of hypocritical.

I take the time to review the ads which run on my site, and ban all of the annoying as **** ones like those FTP adult themed rpg games.

No luck, tho. Out of all of my members, I think maybe 3 or 4 turn off adblock.
Which generates ~ $.01 per day in RPM revenue.

I'd LIKE to bring in enough ad revenue to pay for the server hosting, but that ain't gonna happen.

Good thing I do it for the love of the game.
---
I drink YOUR milkshake
VirtualHillClimb.com
#35Myself9Posted 5/3/2014 1:33:56 PM
garyjpaterson posted...
They only get revenue from clicks right? I would never click on ads anyway, so i might as well block them. I don't understand how websites make much money from ads (other than youtube ones), since i didn't think anyone would actually click on them

....says the man with the sig plugging his deviantart site.....
---
I drink YOUR milkshake
VirtualHillClimb.com
#36SlaynPosted 5/3/2014 1:41:30 PM
30aught6 posted...
thedude3514 posted...
Seriously, does anybody think here at all? How do you think sites like GameFAQs run? You do realize hosting and maintaining websites, especially that generate this much traffic, cost money. You already use this site and many others like it all for free. They need to generate revenue to keep alive. You blocking ads essentially blocks the money coming in to pay for such things.

So? Disable ad-block for the sites you support.

Only post here that makes any sense.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#37petran78Posted 5/3/2014 2:07:07 PM
use this too

https://www.ghostery.com/en/
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#38GynthaeresPosted 5/3/2014 3:35:48 PM
thedude3514 posted...
Seriously, does anybody think here at all? How do you think sites like GameFAQs run? You do realize hosting and maintaining websites, especially that generate this much traffic, cost money. You already use this site and many others like it all for free. They need to generate revenue to keep alive. You blocking ads essentially blocks the money coming in to pay for such things.

This. Ads allow for a free, decent-quality Internet. If everyone used ads, quality would either drop dramatically, or subscription fees would be put into place.

I have Adblock on generally, off selectively. It's off for specific Twitch channels that are respectful towards ads (i.e. they take ad breaks, as opposed to just running them randomly). I have it off for Youtube, because I really only watch people I'm subscribed to, and I want to support them. And I have it off for a small handful of other sites, like the Nexus Mods site, because I use so much bandwidth when I go there. And Reddit, because they're extremely respectful when it comes to ads.

If I visit a site a lot, I'll periodically try to disable adblock and see how it goes. GameFAQs, I have it on. I've given them multiple chances, but they're always crossing some sort of line when it comes to ads. I think the last one was an auto-playing video ad that wasn't muted.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#39jake-sfPosted 5/3/2014 3:39:25 PM
I'm not against there being ads, but I disabled ads globally because they were known to be a security issue. Unless you tell me that changed...
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#40SlaynPosted 5/3/2014 3:39:59 PM
Maybe gamefaqs only uses annoying ads because everyone uses ad blocker. Ever thought of that? You are LITERALLY the person causing the bad ads!

Shame on you! Without all the posts you make on gamefaqs you should accept their half screen ads that automatically block most the screen, causing you to keep clicking on them.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.