This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why shouldn't we use ad blockers?

#41Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/3/2014 3:00:30 PM
thedude3514 posted...
Seriously, does anybody think here at all? How do you think sites like GameFAQs run? You do realize hosting and maintaining websites, especially that generate this much traffic, cost money. You already use this site and many others like it all for free. They need to generate revenue to keep alive. You blocking ads essentially blocks the money coming in to pay for such things.

Not my problem that gamefaqs doesn't offer a sub. I'm happy to pay a token fee for access. I'm not happy when I'm forced to have ads shoved down my throat.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#42SneakiestNegPosted 5/3/2014 3:43:14 PM
The great people posting their guides are not doing it to get rich. Someone somewhere will host them.
#43arleasPosted 5/3/2014 5:55:06 PM
Slayn posted...
Maybe gamefaqs only uses annoying ads because everyone uses ad blocker. Ever thought of that? You are LITERALLY the person causing the bad ads!

Shame on you! Without all the posts you make on gamefaqs you should accept their half screen ads that automatically block most the screen, causing you to keep clicking on them.

I'm pretty sure the annoying ads began long before the adblockers reigned supreme. They make the ads more annoying because the clickthrough rate on the non-annoying ones is really low. If you click on annoying ads then YOU are literally the person causing the bad ads.

On the other hand, if nobody clicked on bad ads, they would just find a way to get worse... not better. The only winning move is not to play (ad block!).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#44Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/3/2014 8:49:46 PM(edited)
arleas posted...

I'm pretty sure the annoying ads began long before the adblockers reigned supreme.

How can anyone forget the dark ages of pre-firefox and dozens of "Punch osama bin laden to win 1 million dollars" banner ads that flashed yellow and red like a strobe light. Those were dark, dark days. Days of angelfire, webrings, geocities, and banzai buddy.
---
#45popping4itPosted 5/3/2014 8:52:20 PM
its easy to disable adblock for sites that you want to support
---
whens mahvel?
#46Pokerkid777Posted 5/3/2014 9:02:53 PM
I would love if someone could bring up an situation that happened where a website/youtube/twitch career had to be shut down due to adblockers.
---
Tennis is the sport for gods I tell you. MOTHER****ING GODS!
#47Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/3/2014 9:12:13 PM
popping4it posted...
its easy to disable adblock for sites that you want to support

But I don't want to because I hate ads. I gladly pay a fee for the ability to skip ads on services I enjoy. Netflix, Satellite radio, certain forums (like SA). But I think ads are terrible and I hate them and won't deal with them, period.
---
#48Domelo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 1:40:15 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
Trust me: they track you. They record everything you do on the web. If you use adblock what Google and others do will not affect you in the slightest and you can browse safely. Ever wonder why Google removed adblock from the store? Ever wondered why they want to guilt trip you into allowing ads and cookies?

But i think every ad blocking software has not been thrown away from google store. Isn't it?
#49Domelo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 1:42:26 PM
Also, I don't think every adblocker tracks our data or activities online. The best example is of adguard that uses it's own sites to filter ads and has not partnered with any advertiser so far. isn't it?
#50rusty12000Posted 5/6/2014 2:01:20 PM
I don't like ads and I don't feel bad blocking them.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM