This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Serious question: Why do some people prefer COUNTER STRIKE over CoD/BF4?

#1SlickRick73Posted 5/3/2014 9:17:39 AM
I used to play Counter Strike way back in 2004 but haven't played since. I notice on Twitch that Counter Strike Global Offensive is pretty popular. Why do people prefer it to the more popular console games like Call of Duty or Battlefield?

I'm genuinely curious about this. Counter Strike appears harder, a bit outdated, so I'm also wondering if it's worth it for me to pick up and start playing today....?
#2SpazH3dPosted 5/3/2014 9:20:21 AM
It's a different playstyle, a different crowd of people. It's fricking Counter Strike, woop wooooop!

I dunno if the latest CS is any good.
---
- My vision is augmented
#3AkinitPosted 5/3/2014 9:20:22 AM
It feels to me, more concise and less random.
---
Currently playing: Stuff
I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
#4Dipfoot20Posted 5/3/2014 9:21:17 AM
It's a better game.
---
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af50/benek00/silvarockstar.gif
#5SlickRick73(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 9:23:20 AM
Dipfoot20 posted...
It's a better game.

OK, but why??? And I hate the randomness of CoD! Plus I suck at it. Maybe I should avoid Counter Strike then!
#6Nazgl5LordofNazPosted 5/3/2014 9:26:50 AM
If you're bad at CoD you will probably be awful at Counter Strike, at least to start with. Higher skill floor, and a skill ceiling so high you can't even see it from a CoD lobby. That's part of the appeal.

It also requires some semblance of tactics alongside the shooting skill. If you just run in alone and try to do everything yourself like you might in CoD, you're just going to die.
---
*waits until someone says something funny to quote*
#7ni12345pPosted 5/3/2014 9:27:12 AM
From what I understand, Counterstrike is an extremely tactical, competitive game. While Cod/Battlefield can offer some tactics and competition, they are more focused on the pew pew pew, RPG to the face, just having fun crowd. Try doing that on counterstrike, and you will not have a good time.
---
3ds- 2638-0090-8984 PSN-vxOblivionxv Steam- vxOblivionxv Origin- vxOblivionxv
#8SlaynPosted 5/3/2014 9:28:18 AM
Yes, it is more "balanced" and much better for serious/tournament play. It is also just old and popular, people don't have a reason to switch. Most FPS are not really suited for competitive play. I don't think there is much competition for the Battlefield or COD series. I think most people that play CS are just old timers, I don't know how many new people come and play.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#9Dipfoot20Posted 5/3/2014 9:32:13 AM
SlickRick73 posted...
Dipfoot20 posted...
It's a better game.

OK, but why??? And I hate the randomness of CoD! Plus I suck at it. Maybe I should avoid Counter Strike then!

Nazgl5LordofNaz posted...
If you're bad at CoD you will probably be awful at Counter Strike, at least to start with. Higher skill floor, and a skill ceiling so high you can't even see it from a CoD lobby. That's part of the appeal.

It also requires some semblance of tactics alongside the shooting skill. If you just run in alone and try to do everything yourself like you might in CoD, you're just going to die.

Thats why.
---
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af50/benek00/silvarockstar.gif
#10sonic_man00Posted 5/3/2014 9:34:22 AM
Why do people keep making bait-topics?
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.