This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Directx 12

#11Rexdragon125Posted 5/3/2014 4:21:45 PM
Nobody knows what versions DX12 will be on. The only limitation was XP, and that's because a new kernel was needed to run user level code in the graphics driver. Vista-8 don't have that limitation. And Vista supports DX11 btw. ITT people still butthurt over XP being a bad OS.
#12DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/3/2014 8:25:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they do another revision of Windows 8 aimed at a more desktop friendly audience, or maybe even Windows 9 for DX12. Win 8 is not moving, much like Vista was not moving.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#13BeerOnTapPosted 5/3/2014 9:18:35 PM
Yeah!
And I still have a ton of Betamax tapes but my player is broke. Why does SONY refuse to support their product? How dare SONY alienate me and expect me to move on to the likes of Blu Ray.
#14noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/3/2014 9:25:16 PM
I don't even play most games in Direct X 11, I barely notice the difference. Feels like it was part of the Windows 7 push than an actual necessary improvement on DX10.

I expect the same thing with DX12.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/3/2014 11:36:39 PM
A lot of the improvements to DX11 are on the backend, making stuff easier for developers, allowing better resource management, ect. Tessellation and a few tweaks to the shader pipeline to allow a more diverse array of effects are just to help sell it to consumers.(though tessellation pipeline improvement was pretty huge, imho. it's a pity we won't see games really take advantage of it until DX10 is completely dead, and people move on from early DX11 cards.)
---
#16MarikhenPosted 5/4/2014 12:06:06 AM
I don't know why Microsoft bothers limiting new versions of DirectX to new(er) OSes. Making DX10 Vista-only was a gimmick, and as a result of how badly the OS itself bombed you see few games supporting it. Most of the time when I see multi-DX games it's DX9 and DX11.

Making DX11.x Windows 8 only and making DX12 Windows 9 only (or maybe 8 if they don't release 9 first, who knows) isn't really going to do them any good with convincing gamers to upgrade their OS or convincing developers to code to a new standard. Hell, the fact that DX9 is still heavily used even among PC-only gaming testifies to that.

I'll grant that with Microsoft having ended all support for Windows XP it's likely that the number of DX9-primarily/only games will start to decline, but developers will likely only transition to DX11. Unless Microsoft pulls a rabbit out of their collective asses I don't see any DX11.x+ versions becoming the new standard any time soon.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 5/4/2014 12:19:07 AM
Marikhen posted...
I don't know why Microsoft bothers limiting new versions of DirectX to new(er) OSes. Making DX10 Vista-only was a gimmick, and as a result of how badly the OS itself bombed you see few games supporting it. Most of the time when I see multi-DX games it's DX9 and DX11.

Making DX11.x Windows 8 only and making DX12 Windows 9 only (or maybe 8 if they don't release 9 first, who knows) isn't really going to do them any good with convincing gamers to upgrade their OS or convincing developers to code to a new standard. Hell, the fact that DX9 is still heavily used even among PC-only gaming testifies to that.

I'll grant that with Microsoft having ended all support for Windows XP it's likely that the number of DX9-primarily/only games will start to decline, but developers will likely only transition to DX11. Unless Microsoft pulls a rabbit out of their collective asses I don't see any DX11.x+ versions becoming the new standard any time soon.

Funny thing is, the only games that are DX9 and DX11 only, without supporting 10 at all, are games that artificially lock out DX10 support.
---
#18SinisterSlayPosted 5/4/2014 3:17:05 PM
Marikhen posted...

The best part was when hackers disabled the operating system check on the dx10 installer and installed to xp. And it worked fine.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19MarikhenPosted 5/4/2014 3:58:59 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Funny thing is, the only games that are DX9 and DX11 only, without supporting 10 at all, are games that artificially lock out DX10 support.

That would suggest that DirectX 11 has no proprietary, DX11-only calls/functions that would otherwise prevent DX11 games/modes from functioning on a DX10 framework/system. It would also suggest that developers feel that making graphics options available to Windows Vista users was a cost-effective choice.

SinisterSlay posted...
The best part was when hackers disabled the operating system check on the dx10 installer and installed to xp. And it worked fine.

The sad part is that even then Halo 2 wasn't worth the effort. :-/
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#20MasterDonGeroPosted 5/4/2014 4:35:03 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]