This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What, specifically, do I need to take screenshots of PS3 games?

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 5/3/2014 1:15:52 PM
I make translation FAQs (this is an alt. account, BTW) and I've found that the ideal way to go about it is to please menu translations directly on top of screenshots from the menus.

So far I've been able to rely on community support for those screen grabs, but it can be problematic at times. Ideally, I'd like to take the screens myself.

So.... How do I go about doing that?

My PS3 hooks directly into my PC monitor. But with a capture card, would I need the signal to go directly to the PC? Couldn't that result in serious degradation issues? I really have no idea what I'm talking about, I just feel like the process is similar to having to route a N64 to a VCR before the signal went to the TV back in the day. Feel free to make fun. -__-
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2AsellusPosted 5/3/2014 1:26:23 PM
My PS3 hooks directly into my PC monitor. But with a capture card, would I need the signal to go directly to the PC? Couldn't that result in serious degradation issues?

Nope, digital signal. Worst you might get is some additional latency.

Doesn't the ps3 use HDCP for its output though?
#3SlaynPosted 5/3/2014 1:26:28 PM
You would need a capture card, and I think you have to capture with component because you cannot capture with HDMI because of HDCP ( high-bandwidth digital content protection ). I am not sure if there is a capture card that can record in HDMI, but component can do 720p and 1080i, which is fine for screenshots.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#4Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 2:29:36 PM
Thanks. Any opinion on going with internal or external capture cards? Any recommendation fora cheap one?

Also, PS3 uses HDMI output.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#5WerdnAndreWPosted 5/3/2014 2:45:42 PM
AFAIK, there are no legal ways to record PS3 using HDMI because it uses HDCP when gaming. You'll have to use component.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#6PsythikPosted 5/3/2014 3:14:22 PM(edited)
Arsene-Lupin posted...
Thanks. Any opinion on going with internal or external capture cards? Any recommendation fora cheap one?

You can buy a component adapter. What did you think that AV MULTI OUT port is for? Just don't confuse component with composite. The latter uses only 3 wires (Red/White/Yellow) and only does 480i. Component is 6 wires (Red/White/Red/Green/Blue) and does 720p/1080i. Very few (if any) PS3 games run at 1080p so 720p is more than enough for video capture. Just don't use 1080i because then you'll have to worry about deinterlacing in your video editor.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#7SlaynPosted 5/3/2014 3:13:55 PM
Psythik posted...
Arsene-Lupin posted...

You can buy a component adapter. What did you think that AV MULTI OUT port is for?

Doesn't the PS3 come with component? It's been a while.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#8PsythikPosted 5/3/2014 3:21:02 PM(edited)
Slayn posted...
Psythik posted...
Arsene-Lupin posted...

You can buy a component adapter. What did you think that AV MULTI OUT port is for?

No it only came with composite from what I remember (well the launch consoles did, at least). Pretty stupid decision considering that this was the first HD console gen and most people had HDTVs by the time it came out.

I remember working at Fry's Electronics when the PS3 came out. This one lady was buying her son a $600 console and a $1500 TV for Christmas and I could not talk her into buying a $20 HDMI cable. She thought I was trying to make a sale, even though I was a cashier. I told her I hope her son enjoys a blurry, 50" SD picture.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
#9Rolen47Posted 5/3/2014 3:20:26 PM
Psythik posted...
Slayn posted...
Psythik posted...
Arsene-Lupin posted...

No it only came with composite from what I remember (well the launch consoles did, at least). Pretty stupid decision considering that this was the start of the HD console gen and most people had HDTVs by the time it came out.

I remember working at Fry's Electronics when the PS3 came out. This one lady was buying her son a $600 console and a $1500 TV for Christmas and I could not talk her into buying a $20 HDMI cable. I told her I hope her son enjoys a blurry, 50" SD picture.

I wouldn't buy a $20 HDMI cable either. When the kid got it he was probably smart enough to order a $5 one online.
#10PsythikPosted 5/3/2014 3:21:55 PM
This was back in 2006, though. $20 was a bargain for HDMI.

And no, that wasn't her plan. She was adamant on using the cables that came in the box.
---