This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've never understood ad-blocking.

#11Psykic PetrolPosted 5/3/2014 4:32:35 PM
If it weren't for them constantly breaking gamefox and the fact that much of the board's functions require javascript, I'd still have gamefaqs.com blocked on noscript.
It's also clear that TC and anyone defending gfaqs ad policy have never used the mobile site either, because no one can think those fullscreen ads are fair unless they have an ulterior agenda. Thank god for f-droid & AdAway.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#1230aught6Posted 5/3/2014 4:32:57 PM
Skul_ posted...
I disable adblock on sites that i like and want to support.

This.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#13drinkPosted 5/3/2014 4:37:16 PM
I block all ads and skip commercials. My time is money.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#14brawlfanPosted 5/3/2014 4:40:07 PM
So you're supporting websites by viewing their ads... yet you pirate using TPB. Nice logic there.
---
I dearly hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for you, Arthas.
We may never know, Uther. I intend to live forever.
#15SeegteasePosted 5/3/2014 4:46:07 PM
Imagine if television ads suddenly tripled in volume, caused your TV shows to lag, popped out where you had to manually close them with the remote, and randomly gave you the flu.

Suddenly, you're looking for a way to block your ads on TV, too.

Brower ads are unreasonably disruptive, invasive, and exploitative. Maybe if they chilled the heck out, people would stop caring.
#16secv99Posted 5/3/2014 4:50:42 PM
I agree that one should at least try to only block aggressive ads/advertisers. That being said, if more people block ads there's a better chance websites will move to direct funding from their users rather than resorting to intrusive and annoying advertising.

For example: I signed up for a free site while using AdBlock. In place of a blocked ad, they had their own ad that pretty much said "Hey, we use ads for revenue. Please consider paying X dollars and we'll remove ads from your profile forever."

I for one greatly favor the latter option.
#17Rexdragon125Posted 5/3/2014 4:53:58 PM
Viruses can pop up on the random ad rotations for perfectly legitimate sites. Had that happen on The Escapist the other day, a redirection to a fake antivirus scare site (fortunately IE11 is immune with Enhanced Protected Mode). And as long as legit sites can't get their own ads straightened out, adblock stays on.
#18blankempathyPosted 5/3/2014 4:56:00 PM
I dont mind ad banners. The ones i hate are the ones that play a video with sound as soon as I load a page or pop ups where I have to click X to exit. That or the commercials that play 4-5 times and repeats the same commercial during videos.
---
I like video games.
#19JKatarnPosted 5/3/2014 4:57:14 PM
ebj767 posted...
I don't really visit websites that have those kind of ads, they are shady and usually for piracy and illegal file sharing.

Which if you're gonna do, fine that's your deal, but trust me, there are sites that aren't like that which you can use. Private trackers and the like.

Also, I am not talking about tracking, which I DO BLOCK using Ghostery, I do not believe in online-tracking for advertising purprose or otherwise.

If you're supporting software piracy (even indirectly), that kind of runs counter to your "support all the poor websites" policy.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#20JKatarnPosted 5/3/2014 4:59:18 PM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Viruses can pop up on the random ad rotations for perfectly legitimate sites. Had that happen on The Escapist the other day, a redirection to a fake antivirus scare site (fortunately IE11 is immune with Enhanced Protected Mode). And as long as legit sites can't get their own ads straightened out, adblock stays on.

The problem is that the sites themselves have very little control over what the third-party ad networks choose to display, and some of them have less than savory motives. Therein lies the problem with these big online advertising networks.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES