This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Put together a PC for my girlfriend... Super long boot time/GPU not installing?

#1SychosisDragonPosted 5/3/2014 5:36:14 PM
So I'm sure these two problems are related, and I remember having the same problem before, it was a really simple fix but I can't remember for the life of me what I did. The windows loading screen takes a good 20 minutes before it finally boots to the desktop. The GPU won't install correctly, the image on the monitor is about half the size of the monitor itself. Tried installing the driver and device manager keeps saying "the device is not working properly."

I had this problem before and it was something super simple to fix it, but I can't remember what it is. Please help?

It's an EVGA GeForce 550 ti on Windows 7, for the record (Not the best, I know, but it should still function)
---
"It detects those that are awesome. Which you are not.
I, however, get showered with cookies whenever I merely choose a song to play." - Renamon_mang
#2Vindication123Posted 5/3/2014 6:20:02 PM
Did you disable the on board graphics?
---
A turtle crossed the road and got mugged by two snails. As police arrive, they ask it what happened. The turtle replies, I dont know. It all happened so fast.
#3SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 6:21:56 PM
I did not, I don't remember doing that before but could that be the cause?
---
I, however, get showered with cookies whenever I merely choose a song to play." - Renamon_mang
#4Grimlink132Posted 5/3/2014 7:05:05 PM
did you try going to nvidias website and installing the latest drivers?
#5PhilOnDezPosted 5/3/2014 8:12:07 PM
The super-long boot time I've had pop up due to registry issues. I've been looking for a fix for forever but haven't found one. Did you go with a clean install? That's the only fix I've found but if you're coming straight out of a clean install then I dunno.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6Tommy2GoGoPosted 5/3/2014 9:31:19 PM
Might just be a faulty HDD. Is the hdd new? If not test it . I remember a few clients of mine would come to me and tell me their computers took forever to install. Turns out their hdds were starting to fail. Switching the hdd fixed the problem.
#7SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 10:01:38 PM
The HDD is brand new. And I remember having this issue before and doing another clean install of W7, and I still had the issue. I'm nearly positive it was some kind of stupid hardware conflict like a usb thing, but I disconnected all that and I'm still having the issue. And yes I've installed the newest GPU drivers from Nvidia's site.
---
#8BeerOnTapPosted 5/3/2014 10:25:38 PM
I recently had an issue where windows would not shut down. It would just hang and eventually gimme that blue screen with a frowny face emoji.
I finally figured out that for some reason the Bluetooth USB dongle I had plugged into it was causing the issue. Maybe something like this?
#9SychosisDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 10:50:09 PM
I thought it was a usb conflict but I've booted up with only the monitor and power cable attached and it still does it.

Also... the image on the screen nowhere near fills up the monitor. And it's not a screen resolution issue. Not sure what's causing that.
---
#10Vindication123Posted 5/3/2014 10:50:54 PM
You could trying clearing the prefetch Windows folder, temp folders, locale storage folders. Run a program that shows you what boots up, and you will probably find a few things to remove.

When you install things that mess up, it tends to stay in certain folders.
---
A turtle crossed the road and got mugged by two snails. As police arrive, they ask it what happened. The turtle replies, I dont know. It all happened so fast.